home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-16-2018, 09:17 PM   #26
aussyvolvo
Will stalk for money

you can't run the b23xxx pistons in a b21xxx block, they are too wide... you'd have to hone them out to 2.3L. At that point, why not just get a b230 block?
she wanted me to spend all my time with her, that meant no tbricks and no gym...... so I got fat, and she found someone else...... skinnier.......... so naturally I'm back on tbricks to spread the badly spelt word :P
aussyvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:11 AM   #27
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussyvolvo View Post
you can't run the b23xxx pistons in a b21xxx block, they are too wide... you'd have to hone them out to 2.3L. At that point, why not just get a b230 block?
Who are you responding to?

Of course you can't stick 96mm pistons in a 92mm hole, and there the other problem of 24mm pin.

And although there are reports that guys have bored B21 block the 4mm to make them 96, but the cost---it would be a LOT of money, and the resulting thin cylinder walls means that would be nuts..But who is suggesting that?

And just for clarity it might be better to maintain some accuracy when referring to the motors....B21 is a B21, a B23 is a B23 so not sure what you mean by B21xxx and B23xxxx>>

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:55 AM   #28
aussyvolvo
Will stalk for money

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
Who are you responding to?

Of course you can't stick 96mm pistons in a 92mm hole, and there the other problem of 24mm pin.

And although there are reports that guys have bored B21 block the 4mm to make them 96, but the cost---it would be a LOT of money, and the resulting thin cylinder walls means that would be nuts..But who is suggesting that?

And just for clarity it might be better to maintain some accuracy when referring to the motors....B21 is a B21, a B23 is a B23 so not sure what you mean by B21xxx and B23xxxx>>
Hey man, no need to be in an aggressive mood with me, but vb242 did. He was talking about putting it his b21. I used the Xs to mean that it doesn't matter if it's b230 or b23, I know almost nothing about the B21, so I just gave it the same treatment. I was also saying that boring out a b21 would not be the way to go. Unless you were just completely rebuilding and machining a block instead of buying an old one.

It's okay man, this thread got a little tldr, but felt it was necessary to make sure someone wasn't about to make a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242
I run a B21 without squirters, good heavens,omfg,SMH, and it hasn't blown up yet, well a few head gaskets here and there but the block has the same amount of holes as when it left the Volvo plant. I think I would have to get new pistons to use that crank wouldn't I? Or is that block taller? What kind of head was on it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242
I will do some research, I have another B21 with M rods, need to see if they'll bolt in.
He later says some stuff that shows that he may know the issue, but I was running out of time before I needed to go out. Franz Kafka — 'Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.'
aussyvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:17 AM   #29
VB242
Mojo Stealer

Yes after researching I discovered the Pistons are 96mm in the aq151. If I can get cheap free transportation and a reasonable price I would consider getting the block, pistons, crank and 13mm rods from Poulrais and hunt down a 16v head for major drivetrain breakage shenanigans.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:19 AM   #30
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussyvolvo View Post
Hey man, no need to be in an aggressive mood with me, but vb242 did. He was talking about putting it his b21. I used the Xs to mean that it doesn't matter if it's b230 or b23, I know almost nothing about the B21, so I just gave it the same treatment. I was also saying that boring out a b21 would not be the way to go. Unless you were just completely rebuilding and machining a block instead of buying an old one.

It's okay man, this thread got a little tldr, but felt it was necessary to make sure someone wasn't about to make a mistake.

He later says some stuff that shows that he may know the issue, but I was running out of time before I needed to go out. Franz Kafka — 'Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.'

It's 11 at night here, nobody is in any way or shape or intent in the least aggressive..
Got it?

Whole thread have become a classic Turdboatpricks cluster fawk...confusing and a lotta cross-chatter..
That's why its best to click the "quote" button

Here, since we're ol' chums now, I'll teach you everything important about the differences between B21 and B23:

B21...92mm bore..M rod, 24mm pin 46ish in comp hgt.
B23 96mm bore...M rod, 24mm pin 46ish comp hgt
(both should be about 46,7 to be zero deck.)

Effectively, everything else (important) is the same..same forged steel 80mm stroke crank,

In short block and piston dia..thats (mostly ) it..

Now you know..
Old 11-17-2018, 03:22 AM   #31
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
So basically, I'm f*cked...

Vincent Gagnon has several derelict blocks or motors laying around doing nothing..
Shirley he can help you out..

Don't be shy.

You must have his number..No?
Old 11-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #32
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member

Quote:
Vincent Gagnon has several derelict blocks or motors laying around doing nothing..
Shirley he can help you out..

Don't be shy.

You must have his number..No?
I have two b230 with squirters and a b234.

Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #33
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gagnon View Post
I have two b230 with squirters and a b234.
I already have a B230ft squirter block from a 94 car... I also have an AQ151b block with the middle thrust and the crank/rods/pistons from that motor. All are in a very nice shape but can't fit the middle thrust crank in the rear thrust 63,5 mm mains blocks.

The guy I'm helping to have this stroker motor built wants a squirted stroker motor.

So I found a bought a rear thrust AQ151c crank in BC and it's on its way to Quebec.

The result of all this is that I have a mid thrust Penta stoker crank with the block, pistons and rods as well as a set of 13mm rods from the 94 squirter motor.

So the question I have is: Can we fit the 13mm rods on the Penta stroker crank and pistons and drop it all in the Penta crank. From what I read in JohnV's posts and others I would tend to think that yes it will all fit together.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

1990, Volvo 740 16v +T
1991, Volvo 745T 16V - crushed
build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=249553
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #34
grumpy dad

Hi
this is fact because i have just done it
mid thrust penta fitted with 13 mm rods
out of squirter block with penta 16 valve pistons

I have run a standard penta 16 valve with center thrust
on carbs for the last 2 years in our amazon estate with no problems
grumpy dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #35
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
I already have a B230ft squirter block from a 94 car... I also have an AQ151b block with the middle thrust and the crank/rods/pistons from that motor. All are in a very nice shape but can't fit the middle thrust crank in the rear thrust 63,5 mm mains blocks.

The guy I'm helping to have this stroker motor built wants a squirted stroker motor.

So I found a bought a rear thrust AQ151c crank in BC and it's on its way to Quebec.

The result of all this is that I have a mid thrust Penta stoker crank with the block, pistons and rods as well as a set of 13mm rods from the 94 squirter motor.

So the question I have is: Can we fit the 13mm rods on the Penta stroker crank and pistons and drop it all in the Penta crank. From what I read in JohnV's posts and others I would tend to think that yes it will all fit together.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
B230

Block same
rods same
Rod journals same
2.5 Crank make 6mm more stroke--3 more UP ^ and 3mm more down
You can use whatever block goes with whichever crank mains you have 55mm or 63mm
Must match crank to block
Must match pistons to stroke,,

39,7mm comp hgt pistons goes with 80mm stroke crank---
36,7mm comp hgt pistons goes with 86mm stroke crank

To be sure, measure from top of hole in the piston to the top and add + 11.5mm, that gives your comp hgt..You oughtter be able to see the difference.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #36
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes. The b230 13mm rods, or some 152mm h-beams, will fit on the mid-thrust 86mm stroker crank.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:20 PM   #37
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
B230

Block same
rods same
Rod journals same
2.5 Crank make 6mm more stroke--3 more UP ^ and 3mm more down
You can use whatever block goes with whichever crank mains you have 55mm or 63mm
Must match crank to block
Must match pistons to stroke,,

39,7mm comp hgt pistons goes with 80mm stroke crank---
36,7mm comp hgt pistons goes with 86mm stroke crank

To be sure, measure from top of hole in the piston to the top and add + 11.5mm, that gives your comp hgt..You oughtter be able to see the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Yes. The b230 13mm rods, or some 152mm h-beams, will fit on the mid-thrust 86mm stroker crank.
Thank you!
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote