home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom > projects & restorations

Old 07-13-2017, 01:59 AM   #26
cosbySweater
Board Member

Maybe he likes the E30 drivetrain. Ever thought about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
How come we get a Cosby sweater but no Boner in sweatpants in this thread?
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #27
BJORNAGN
Board Member

I like the combo of BMW and classic 122 wagon. Doing something similar myself by dropping a P1800 ES on to a Miata chassis.

What most don't realize is that once you get past the sheer audacity of cutting the body off of one car and grafting it on to the chassis of another, this is not rocket science.

People who tell you that this is a waste of $$$ and that the point is to drive the car just don't get that the creative process can be an end in itself; you can buy a car if you just want to drive. Some people have imaginations and creative urges that need to be fed.

The big caliper to measure the sills was brilliant. Wish I thought of that.

BJORNAGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #28
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo67 View Post
No fuel system

The stock tank would fit the way you did the body IIRC, add an external electric pump and some 3/8" fuel line.

No electrical system

http://www.americanautowire.com/ This is what I used, EZ install and plenty of circuits for everything you'd ever need.

No engine wiring (including ECU and tuning)

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/meg...d/microsquirt/
I think there's a whole thread about using this on TB.

No interior

I drove mine for years without an interior, no big deal. Get it done when you can.

No room for cooling fans

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mez-wp136s/overview/
This was a possible solution, you could have eliminated the water pump and made an adapter plate for the e-pump outlet. This would give you a lot more room to fit a fan. You could have also reversed the coolant flow so that the head received the cooled water first as is done on modern cars. The head makes the most heat so it makes no sense to send cooled water to the block so that it is hotter when it reaches the head.

Engine needed to be pulled back out and engine compartment repainted

So to avoid pulling the engine you cut the body off the pan? That simplifies things

I was concerned about the mounting system for the rear suspension
The rear suspension was too wide necessitating MASSIVE negative camber

Have you seen the engineering Canuck is doing on his 122? IIRC he had the same IRS in his car and made it work by narrowing. I narrowed the Jag IRS in my car, it's not that hard if you pencil it out and take your time. I know you have the skills.

Atom D&D, I appreciate that you get that not everyone will hop on the bandwagon and differing opinions aren't condemnations. I saw your car at IPD and thought it was really coming along great. I was just sorry to see you give up after investing so much time and money. Again, there are no problems, only solutions! Some just take longer to find than others.

Harlard, my "attitude" comes from years of experience building cars. I've seen to many projects lost to easily surmountable problems. As I said I was sorry to see this car so close to completion only to get blown up, SAD!
I will say that I think we've reached a fundamental disconnect though. I'm saying that I didn't feel the path I was on was the best route for what I have available. Funds, lack of shop and over complication of the vehicle. I think every solution you suggested added to the complication as well as timeline and cost. I'm considering what I've done as a "reset" of sorts. At this point it is what it is. I don't think I really need to spend any more time justifying the route I've chosen. Hopefully you can keep an eye on the build and when I'm done we can meet up for a beer and discuss the decision.
Atom D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #29
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJORNAGN View Post
I like the combo of BMW and classic 122 wagon. Doing something similar myself by dropping a P1800 ES on to a Miata chassis.

What most don't realize is that once you get past the sheer audacity of cutting the body off of one car and grafting it on to the chassis of another, this is not rocket science.

People who tell you that this is a waste of $$$ and that the point is to drive the car just don't get that the creative process can be an end in itself; you can buy a car if you just want to drive. Some people have imaginations and creative urges that need to be fed.

That looks awesome!! I did consider Miata. In fact I went to look at one that was for sale stripped down to the chassis. My only real turn off was lack of a rear seat. I realize I won't have my wife and both kids with me most of the time, but having the ability to take them if I wanted seemed like a good idea.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #30
Atom D&D
Board Member

How about some more pictures. Nothing major has happened, but I did have to move the filler neck to the passengers side to connect to the BMW filler. I also finally got around to designing and fabricating the hinge system for the taillight.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #31
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
Maybe he likes the E30 drivetrain. Ever thought about that?
I do like it. I also like the fact I can just buy stuff. I don't HAVE to create from scratch, "figure it out" or "make it work". I also appreciate the history of modifications the E30 has had. If I decide to engine swap at some point it's all been done, info gathered and available. I can make all sorts of handling improvements if I decide it needs it with off the shelf components. Another big thing for me recently was the carpet kit. I new carpet. I don't have to cut, sew, serge something. I can just order it in any color I want. It's already molded to fit.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #32
BJORNAGN
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom D&D View Post
I do like it. I also like the fact I can just buy stuff. I don't HAVE to create from scratch, "figure it out" or "make it work". I also appreciate the history of modifications the E30 has had. If I decide to engine swap at some point it's all been done, info gathered and available. I can make all sorts of handling improvements if I decide it needs it with off the shelf components. Another big thing for me recently was the carpet kit. I new carpet. I don't have to cut, sew, serge something. I can just order it in any color I want. It's already molded to fit.
You and I are on the same page with this thinking. While I did get sidetracked by doing a V8 conversion to the Miata chassis, I still have a car that is not a "One off" when it comes to getting parts to keep it on the road. Both the Miata foundation and the Ford 302 drivetrain parts are going to be on every NAPA parts shelf for a long time and at low prices.

The other thing that needs to be weighed is the amount of production quality engineering that comes with a chassis swap. Everything from engine mounts, to HVAC and suspension geometry has been done by engineers who have a wealth of tools, resources and validation methods. Aftermarket suppliers who make parts to upgrade our old cars cant compete with this.

You were wise in not picking the Miata as a foundation: The wheelbase is off and it would really need an engine upgrade to meet my expectations. Stretching the wheelbase 7" is not something I will do again.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #33
evolvo67
Board Member

Quote:
I will say that I think we've reached a fundamental disconnect though. I'm saying that I didn't feel the path I was on was the best route for what I have available. Funds, lack of shop and over complication of the vehicle. I think every solution you suggested added to the complication as well as timeline and cost. I'm considering what I've done as a "reset" of sorts. At this point it is what it is. I don't think I really need to spend any more time justifying the route I've chosen. Hopefully you can keep an eye on the build and when I'm done we can meet up for a beer and discuss the decision.
OK, I'm good with that.
evolvo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #34
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Yep! That basically means work smarter not harder great work, love the 56 Chevy style tail light/ filler neck
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #35
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:

Can I steal this pic? It's a perfect representation to get other people to understand visually what I'm doing.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #36
BJORNAGN
Board Member

Quote:
Can I steal this pic?
I highly advocate theft! Help yourself and if there are any more view you need, like the bottom ( car went on rotisserie) I would be happy to dig them up; did want to hijack your thread with my project. I would point you to the build thread, but Photobucket pretty much killed that.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #37
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
I highly advocate theft! Help yourself and if there are any more view you need, like the bottom ( car went on rotisserie) I would be happy to dig them up; did want to hijack your thread with my project. I would point you to the build thread, but Photobucket pretty much killed that.
I spent a good chunk of my day last Saturday reading on Grassroots. Photobucket sucks.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #38
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
This is a large part of why I like Volvo's. Each car is unique because you can't just buy stuff.

But to each their own, you do you bro.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #39
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Been following BJORNAGN and Atom's progress in each thread -- inspiring stuff! The 1800ES thread is here -- https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...a/72311/page1/ but the Photobucket SNAFU has undone some pics.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #40
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
This is a large part of why I like Volvo's. Each car is unique because you can't just buy stuff.

But to each their own, you do you bro.
Would you have to take your shoes off to count the number of E30 chassis'ed Amazons? I'm pretty sure that when it comes down to my detail work they'll be plenty for me to customize and it won't be the same as everyone else's. The difference is that then I'll be customizing because I want to, not because I have to.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #41
BJORNAGN
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Been following BJORNAGN and Atom's progress in each thread -- inspiring stuff! The 1800ES thread is here -- https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...a/72311/page1/ but the Photobucket SNAFU has undone some pics.
If you want to see the build with pictures, try this link to retro-rides. The webmasters must be a genius in that he has come up with a work-aroound for the photobucket thing. Need to wait a few seconds and/or do a page refresh, but it seems to bring up the images.

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/...version?page=4
Old 07-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #42
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

Randomly came across a new Adam thread. Does not fail to deliver. Looking forward to seeing the progression of this project.

1968 Furd Rustang fastberk | 2JZGTE VVTi | MS3X ECU | PT6776S @ 18 psi | 4L80e Microsquirt TCU Sloppy Transbrake | 3.73 8.8" rear end

1981 Piper Cherokee Archer II | All stock
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #43
Atom D&D
Board Member

Anyone who is interested, next week (July 24-28) I took the entire week off of work to do the body swap on HQ. Anyone is welcome to come by the house, watch, help, chat, set up a chair, whatever. I don't need help, but don't mind company. Message me if you're interested.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #44
BJORNAGN
Board Member

Love to drop by and help out, but not even sure where you are!

We will expect a lot of pictures of progress.

I have done two "vacation" efforts on the Molvo and they are great for building some momentum that keeps you motivated.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #45
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Love to drop by and help out, but not even sure where you are!

We will expect a lot of pictures of progress.

I have done two "vacation" efforts on the Molvo and they are great for building some momentum that keeps you motivated.
Seattle.

Yeah, a vacation push was how I did the two door conversion the first time around.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #46
cwdodson88
Board Member

Atom- what did you do with the 122 pan? I've been searching for years for the rear seat backrest lower pivot points. They're little triangle pieces mounted to the rear wheel well with 3bolts.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #47
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
Atom- what did you do with the 122 pan? I've been searching for years for the rear seat backrest lower pivot points. They're little triangle pieces mounted to the rear wheel well with 3bolts.
I have it on my back yard. The car didn't have a rear seat in it when I got it and it was stripped out pretty heavily, but I'll look to see if those are there.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:12 PM   #48
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
These?

Old 07-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #49
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
I'm assuming those are them, so I pulled them off, cleaned them up, threw on some fresh powdercoat and if you message me your mailing address I'll get my shipping department (the wife) to toss them in the mail to you.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #50
gdogg16
You're a Subtotal

'74 142
'83 911SC
'99 2500 Ram
'13 TDI Sportwagen
'15 TDI Sportwagen
gdogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote