• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Trouble with setting ignition timing for 1978 B21 Kjet

pnw_245

Here's some background: My car blew it's engine a while back and I've since replaced the blown B21 with a replacement B21.

I'm having difficulty setting the base timing unfortunately, I can get the car to run but it doesn't seem to want to idle or run consistently, it cougha, runs for a bit, and then sputters and dies.

Right now I've checked:
- the gears line up with the marks (crank, cam, distributor gear)
- the timing mark on the crank is set to 12 ish degrees
- the cylinder 1 mark on the distributor is pointed towards the water neck (fully retarded?)
- the breakers in the distributor are lined up with each other.

What am I doing wrong? Anything else I can check or try? I'm running out of daylight today but tomorrow I can start fresh.

If anyone has pictures they can share it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Here's some background: My car blew it's engine a while back and I've since replaced the blown B21 with a replacement B21.

I'm having difficulty setting the base timing unfortunately, I can get the car to run but it doesn't seem to want to idle or run consistently, it cougha, runs for a bit, and then sputters and dies.

Right now I've checked:
- the gears line up with the marks (crank, cam, distributor gear)
- the timing mark on the crank is set to 12 ish degrees
- the cylinder 1 mark on the distributor is pointed towards the water neck (fully retarded?)
- the breakers in the distributor are lined up with each other.

What am I doing wrong? Anything else I can check or try? I'm running out of daylight today but tomorrow I can start fresh.

If anyone has pictures they can share it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

http://www.threefattigers.com/Protocore/Volvo/B230TM-Crank2.jpg

https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/uploads/Barlogio/2011-06-05_234001_42381501.gif

It sounds like a fuel system problem and not an ignition problem. It would unusual for the ignition system to work and then fail so quickly when cold.

Are you using a timing light to set the timing?

I haven't been able to get the car running long enough to use a timing light, but part of the problem was caused by me! I had the firing order reversed and the distributor wasn't set up properly, which was a novice mistake. This morning I'll try again, and report back

Back