• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 240 Idling fine and rev dies

smeha

Tranny Whisperer
Hello people,
The car is 1988 245DL Volvo(Chrysler ignition, LH2.2)
Last night the car started and after few minutes of driving it stalls after choking a bit for half a second couple times.
Starts right up, idle is fine, but when I would rev past 1-1.5k RPM it would stall and die.
Little by little I got it with couple stalls and driving 5mph home.
In the morning, warmed up while doing tests, reved it and then drove the crap out of it for 10 minutes and ITS FINE.

RPMs are all to specs, TPS(new) and MAF sensor(used) were tuned and replaced about a month ago.
Throttle body taken apart and fully resealed and adjusted to specs about month ago as well.
Fuses are fine, FPR doesn't leak fuel out of vacuum, both fuel pumps make noses and they were replaced about 5 years ago, fuel filter replaced 3 months ago.

I have in tank fuel pump laying around just in case when 3-4 months ago it would drop to 0 RPM few times and then caught back and drove normal on the freeway, I started with fuel filter and the problem seem to go away.
Can someone please help me with what is going on and what should I do?

Thank you

Bump. Cleaned ground contacts all around about to replace in tank pump. Its working anyways...

I replaced in-tank pump. The problem is not stable. It was stalling after driving/reving and now it's fine. So no chance I can do diagnostic. Voltage on pumps are on point and grounds are all cleaned. Old in tank pump was working and new one too...
Just looking if anyone fought similar gremlin before.

I had a similar problem with random good idle yet no power to rev up. It turned out to be the main pressure pump intermittently not making enough pressure. The pump worked ok for about the first ten to fifteen minutes of driving Then that problem would happen. You can connect a fuel pressure gauge and go for a ride. See what happens after the pump runs awhile during driving. I figured mine out when it finally failed completely and troubleshooting was easy.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with random good idle yet no power to rev up. It turned out to be the main pressure pump intermittently not making enough pressure. The pump worked ok for about the first ten to fifteen minutes of driving Then that problem would happen. You can connect a fuel pressure gauge and go for a ride. See what happens after the pump runs awhile during driving. I figured mine out when it finally failed completely and troubleshooting was easy.

Good call, I was thinking that one of the pump is overheating, gonna replace main one as well and from there all fuel system should be on point. Injectors are the couple years old ebay ones, but running good for sure. Part canon unloaded.

Replaced main fuel pump as well. Will see how it goes from now on.
Since that night either before or after replacing both pumps and cleaning all grounds it still works fine.

Although(!!!) my main pump sounds way quiet, but in tank pump way noisy. Comparing to old main pump with slight high-pitch noise and super quiet in tank pump you can hear only with an ear on a filler cap.

Probably more or cheaper plastic in the new intank pump than the old one. Glad it's behaving.

Well it did died on me one time today for no reason.
I parked after driving for long time and started few minutes after to continue going then it died while I was 30 seconds looking in the Maps on the cell at Idle. Started right after and fine from now on again.

Is there is a chance my ECU or Chrysler Box dying? I did cleaned all grounds, fuses are all looking good replaced about 5 years ago including main one with OEM Volvo holder.

Back