• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230 Frost Plugs. Cupped or Dished?

smoothdurban

I do my own stunts
I am rebuilding a B230FT and I am going to replace the 40 mm frost plugs.

I see there are two different styles. The dished type that appear to be copies of the original design. These are after market only and NLA from Volvo. Then there is the cupped type PN 3531239.

Anyone have experience with the cupped kind? Why were they changed?

Last edited:
There are early and late B200 series blocks and that includes the B230FTs.

The early style used the dish type plugs and the later blocks get the cup type.

FYI, Volvo still sells the dish type, aka Welsh plugs and I have them in stock.

I also have the aftermarket plugs for $1.98 each.

The Volvo OE plugs are $4.20 each.

The dished type that appear to be copies of the original design. These are after market only and NLA from Volvo.

My 90 b230ft has the early style. Is the early style the dished or cupped? I don't like the way the two words are similar I can't differentiate between the two other then early or later style..

Here's what the '88-'90 740 parts catalog shows for freeze plugs.

968955-5 8 8 - - - ? Expansion plug .................... ? Expansionsplugg ..................(1542263),ALTER 1
3531239-6 8 8 - - - ?Gap plug ............................. ? Hattplugg .............................ALTER 2

1 ) For engines with main bearing diameter 55 mm. I F?r motorer med ramlagerdiameter 55 mm.
2) Applies to a few engines, model year 1988. I G?ller ett f?tal motorer av 1988 ?rs modell.
3) For engines with 63 mm diameter main bearings. I F?r motorer med ram lagerdiameter 6 3 mm.

While it doesn't specifically say the cup type plug fits the 63 mm main bearing rear thrust blocks, it sure looks that way.

Great info guys so are these interchangeable? Also which is ?better??

My block is from a 91 but was probably cast in 90.

No they're not.

My 90 b230ft has the early style. Is the early style the dished or cupped? I don't like the way the two words are similar I can't differentiate between the two other then early or later style..

Early dished, disc or Welch type.

fullsize_35326.jpg

Late cup type.

fullsize_14690.jpg

Look at your plugs welch plugs are like a flat disk, cup plugs are well a cup, and both can rust from the inside

Back