home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 09-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
apollo13

Question Considering Selling ’87 240 (145,000 on engine)- how much should I ask?

I’m seriously considering selling my 5-speed 1987 Volvo 240 DL, which has only been owned by my father and myself. This is the same car that brought me home from the hospital over 29 years ago, so there’s definitely some sentimental value here! I would like to sell it because I use another car as my daily driver and I’d rather save for a house. As much as I love this car, I just don’t want to put any more money into it in this season of life.

While this Volvo has a little over 300K on the body, I swapped in a newer BF 230 engine from a ’90 Volvo wagon with only about 145K miles not even 2 years ago. The original engine suffered catastrophic failure when a broken valve spring fell into the combustion chamber, cracking the cylinder head and breaking the timing belt. Since swapping in the newer engine (and with it the new gaskets, seals, timing belt, & more) the Volvo runs like a new machine and I think it has even more power than before! I also had a new clutch and harmonic balancer installed with the engine swap.

This car has been very well maintained over the past 30+ years and I have all the records to prove it. The AC system was converted from R12 to R134 back in 2010. While the odometer intermittently didn’t work for approximately 10,000 miles, I fixed it in 2015 and it currently works. Tires have about 50K on them but there’s still some life left on the treads. The vehicle also has IPD sway bars and a performance camshaft as well as a performance exhaust for some added horsepower.

The Volvo does have 3 small rust spots and some cosmetic blemishes such as cracks in the dash (see pics). This car has been garage kept for almost all of its life and you can see from the pics that it’s a very clean Volvo.

Given that this Volvo is a newer “heart” in an older “skeleton” so to speak, how much should I ask if I decided to sell it?

https://imgur.com/a/Q47Yn
apollo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #2
Jack
Banned

2-3k
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
apollo13

Thanks for your input. What could/should I do if I wanted to get more money for the car?
Old 09-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
Ursan
الله الفول السوداني شطائر

Every $1.00 you spend will get you another ten cents.

It ultimately may not be worth it. You can sink $1,000 and still only get $2-3,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedn_j View Post
I think this might be my chariot if I can jew the price down.

1990 780t Kind of Modded 1994 945t Pegz, Tintz, Hidz.
"Rear Wheel Drive, the way God intended. If a car is being pulled from the front, doesn't that mean it's being towed?"

"Lister, you are a polyp on the anus of society." - A.J. Rimmer
Ursan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
Dan
TQ>HP

I'd start at 3999.99 and negotiate down, Anything over 2K is good

Not quite .10 on the dollar in my mind, but will be hard to get any money back you invest, Only thing I would even consider is some new/ newer tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursan View Post
Every $1.00 you spend will get you another ten cents.

It ultimately may not be worth it. You can sink $1,000 and still only get $2-3,000.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #6
apollo13

Appreciate your input. Does it make sense to address those rust spots? Wasn't sure if that would help my cause given those cosmetic defects are definitely an eyesore.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #7
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo13 View Post
Appreciate your input. Does it make sense to address those rust spots? Wasn't sure if that would help my cause given those cosmetic defects are definitely an eyesore.
NOPE! If you didnt already get around to it, it was for good reason ( it didnt bug you or you didnt have the skills/time/$)
Instead of fixing those, get a professional detailing done on the exterior, the interior looks great (besides the seat belt cover)

Id start at $3000 on CL and if u wana ebay it set the reserve at 3K or 3.5. People are nuts on there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Was a sandals-and-socks elbow-patch-cardigan-wearing bearded college-professor 10mph-under-the-limit-in-the-fast-lane typical Volvo buyer from 1993 really caring about some sort of limited edition numbering?
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #8
impolvo
Is always busy

I'd ast 2700 and be fine with anything over 2g
Thats why you get a mans car... A 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidponymilk View Post
You people keep crushing them, you're going to run out eventually.
impolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #9
megulon-7
Board Member

don't sell it you sucker.
megulon-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
schaff70
Board Member

The real question is what about that red Porsche 944 hiding in the background?
schaff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
Jack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo13 View Post
Thanks for your input. What could/should I do if I wanted to get more money for the car?
Paint the wheels gold
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #12
StanleyR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaff70 View Post
The real question is what about that red Porsche 944 hiding in the background?
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #13
nel621
Board Member

Broken trim, some rust, cracked lenses, cracked dash, manual windows, swapped engine, and then some. The good is it's a manual. Any money your thinking of spending put it in your pocket. Add to that the maybe $2000 you'll get and call it a day.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #14
Ryan_R
Board Member

I hate to say this, but that A-pillar rust creeping under the windshield seal is bad news, if not potentially fatal, to anyone that knows these cars. Once it takes hold, the car is almost instantly a parts car because big leaks aren't far behind. I'd almost suggest fixing that just so people don't move on to the next car on CL.

-Ryan
1991 745 --Dog Waggin' 2.0
1995 945T -- Mildly modded
2011 XC90 3.2L AWD
https://people.ohio.edu/ridgely/e-code.htm
Ryan_R is offline   Reply With Quote