• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16T turbo with conical housing

VolvoGLT

I want to fit a 16T on my B230FK (LPT) but don't have a new exhaust and downpipe yet. Does it make sense to replace the 13C turbo with a 16T (which would get the conical exhaust housing from an early 15G)?
Will there be a difference between a 13C with turned up boost and a 16T with conical housing?

Thanks

I want to fit a 16T on my B230FK (LPT) but don't have a new exhaust and downpipe yet. Does it make sense to replace the 13C turbo with a 16T (which would get the conical exhaust housing from an early 15G)?
Will there be a difference between a 13C with turned up boost and a 16T with conical housing?

Thanks

Is 16 greater than 13? Okay theres your answer.

Since the factory exhaust (and the conical housing) is quite restrictive this will effect the performance of the 16T. I'm wondering how much though. If I can achieve the same performance with an MBC and the 13C I will just fit the MBC and leave the 16T on the shelf and wait till I get a full exhaust. Hence the question

I run a 20g on the IPD 60mm Turbo exhaust piping, with a Magnaflow cat and a Thrush glass pack muffler and don't seem to have any problems going very quickly. Personally I think if the tubing is larger than the hole in the turbo you're ok, The trolls will be trolling shortly but when you let a gas expand it loses energy and slows down, make your own assumptions, regardless it doesn't seem to hurt the performance of my car any.

The conical housing might hurt spool a little but the 16T will perform much better than the 13C at boost levels greater than stock. The 13C compressor is tiny and it will be out of its efficiency range quickly if you turn up the boost with an MBC.

The conical housing might hurt spool a little but the 16T will perform much better than the 13C at boost levels greater than stock. The 13C compressor is tiny and it will be out of its efficiency range quickly if you turn up the boost with an MBC.

13PSI feels like 12psi. 15psi feels like 12psi. :lol:

- Guy with 14psi on a 13c. :rofl:

Got a 15g but thinking 16t might be nicer.....

negligible advantage. and I wouldn't worry too much about the housing either until you're in a position to extract every last bit of power out of the 16t. Even then, I'm not sure I would worry about it-I'd just upgrade the whole unit.

The 16T wheel is 1 or 2 mm taller than the 15G wheel, that's it. I wouldn't upgrade from 15G to 16T, money better spent somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure you can leave your 13c exhaust housing be, and swap in just the cartridge and compressor housing, of your new 16t...saves a little bit of work.

Back