home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 09-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #51
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Modern pump gas is cut with ethanol low octane crap gas.
I agree
90' 744 AW70
95' Camry A140E, 246k
99' Camry A140E.
96' Camry wagon, v6 auto
Past (Volvos):
80' 242gt M46
88' 245T M47
92' 945T AW71
94' 945T AW71
90' 745T AW71 (Donor car for the 91)
90' 745 NA sold
93' 945T in burgundy
91' 745 Regina AW701 turbo (traded for 96 Camry wagon)
93' 245 M47

People think Volvos are good cars until they drive cars that are actually good.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #52
2manyturbos

I can still get 100+ octane gas right out of the pump at a local Chevron. It is expensive as heck. That said, on race night, it is just what you need.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #53
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
I can still get 100+ octane gas right out of the pump at a local Chevron. It is expensive as heck. That said, on race night, it is just what you need.
^

I used to buy 100 octane race gas for $5/ gal [ $11.92 in today's dollars] at a 24 hour member only fueling station back in the mid 80's for the 70 145.

Smoothed out the idle, it pulled like a race horse from a stop, and flew up the hill to Tahoe like nobody's business.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:03 PM   #54
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Your version of this hobby involves viral rocks and pennies in the valve train videos and posting unwanted and poorly informed opinions. Go polish your gun, it will keep you warm and abate some of your tiny penis insecurity complex.

There's plenty of G80 swap information available, why are you wasting bandwidth with your feeble post? Search noob.
Excuse me....where's the "like" button?

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:48 PM   #55
turbotankshane
Board Member

If your time is worth anything, just put some good fuel and a good tune in it and send it. You can take a stock ft engine pretty far.

And if we're talking ecotec turbo engines, I've put enough pistons in them under warranty to safely say it's not a great idea to run them on 87 octane and not pay attention to their crap transmission strategies that lock the converter up in high gear and low rpm, load the engine up and send the ring lands out in pieces with the next oil change.

Last edited by turbotankshane; 09-03-2019 at 11:00 PM..
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:20 PM   #56
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Don't bother with pump fuel or racing ga$.

https://www.thunderboltracingfuel.com/

We have been using this for a few years now. Very consistent and economical in our 1/4mile cars (3) 10sec 9sec and 598" 8sec
We buy it by the drum.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #57
VB242
OG flat plane crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotankshane View Post
If your time is worth anything, just put some good fuel and a good tune in it and send it. You can take a stock ft engine pretty far.

And if we're talking ecotec turbo engines, I've put enough pistons in them under warranty to safely say it's not a great idea to run them on 87 octane and not pay attention to their crap transmission strategies that lock the converter up in high gear and low rpm, load the engine up and send the ring lands out in pieces with the next oil change.
It's a B23F not FT. I read about the ecotec engines self destructing and they sell enough pistons that they're only $22.00ea.

First candidacy driven entirely by smart phone.

Campaign slogan
"Trump, I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire!"
VB242 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #58
VB242
OG flat plane crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Don't bother with pump fuel or racing ga$.

https://www.thunderboltracingfuel.com/

We have been using this for a few years now. Very consistent and economical in our 1/4mile cars (3) 10sec 9sec and 598" 8sec
We buy it by the drum.
I'm thinking freight would be a killer from the left coast.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #59
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotankshane View Post

if they're DI engines, the makeup of engine oil also plays heavily into low speed knock.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #60
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

4 psi.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #61
woodenpudden
lacks goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
4 psi.
Before this thread existed, I said to mikep in actual face-to-face conversation: 7 psi with a large compressor housing and really efficient intercooler (this was before I knew John was peeling apart the sandwich to see if there were pickles inside)

Flunt delivers!
woodenpudden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #62
VB242
OG flat plane crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenpudden View Post
Before this thread existed, I said to mikep in actual face-to-face conversation: 7 psi with a large compressor housing and really efficient intercooler (this was before I knew John was peeling apart the sandwich to see if there were pickles inside)
There is a fair amount of sludge in the oil pan, but no pickles yet.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #63
turbotankshane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
if they're DI engines, the makeup of engine oil also plays heavily into low speed knock.
You've piqued my curiosity, how so?
Old 09-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #64
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

https://www.oronite.com/about/news/l...-ignition.aspx this covers it better than I can. it's been almost a year since I heard about it. there's an episode of realtuners where they go into great depth about the chemistry and testing and what not.

that should cover it, basically it boils down to calcium in the oil (among other chemicals) getting up into the ring land area, mixing with fuel and setting off knock. one of the interesting characteristics of it is that it is virtually timing independent, i.e. you have a really hard time stopping it by pulling timing, and almost doesn't matter what initial advance is when it comes to preventing it.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #65
mikep
The MP

Quote:
There is a fair amount of sludge in the oil pan, but no pickles yet.
In the 14? years I have had it, it has been run probably 20-30 times. And I got the running car from a junkyard. The plates expired in 2000.
I changed the oil once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
TBOT is like Google, run by Underpants Gnomes.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #66
VB242
OG flat plane crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
In the 14? years I have had it, it has been run probably 20-30 times. And I got the running car from a junkyard. The plates expired in 2000.
I changed the oil once.
Just s comment not a criticism. Getting i the pan hot tanked today, maybe have turbo drain welded on tonight.

Last edited by VB242; 09-10-2019 at 11:07 AM..
Old 09-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #67
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
https://www.oronite.com/about/news/l...-ignition.aspx this covers it better than I can. it's been almost a year since I heard about it. there's an episode of realtuners where they go into great depth about the chemistry and testing and what not.

that should cover it, basically it boils down to calcium in the oil (among other chemicals) getting up into the ring land area, mixing with fuel and setting off knock. one of the interesting characteristics of it is that it is virtually timing independent, i.e. you have a really hard time stopping it by pulling timing, and almost doesn't matter what initial advance is when it comes to preventing it.
yep, BMWs and Minis will throw 'super knocking' codes for when this starts to happen and will eventually shut down individual cylinders.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #68
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Quote:
I'm thinking freight would be a killer from the left coast.
At their price point (TB pricing) I'm not sure, need to find a local dealer?
Or become one!
I know they ship it all over the country.
Dirty Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #69
turbotankshane
Board Member

Quote:

Good read, thanks kenny!
Old 10-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #70
VB242
OG flat plane crank

So it's finally all back together, except the shift knob, vacuum connection to the climate control and the hood. This was after the 3rd attempt for South Bend to get me the right clutch disk, a weekend spent gambling with 240240 in A/C, waiting for a second set of rings after I broke one from the first set swapping pistons back in the correct order in the block, et cetera, et cetera as the King of Siam said.

Adjusted Tuner Studio for the larger displacement and doggone it it won't start. Start troubleshooting and turn on the fuel pumps... Erratic pressure and cavitation noise from the underbody 044. Pull the DW300 from the tank and whaddya know, there's my problem. Stupid thing most likely blew up the motor, pretty bummed, I hope they at least warranty the pump, not sure how long ago I bought it but I only installed it last year.

And yes I bought it directly from Deatschwerks, I'll see what they say tomorrow.

Last edited by VB242; 10-02-2019 at 07:25 PM..
Old 10-02-2019, 08:23 PM   #71
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

I don’t see the visual problem with the pump? That sucks that it failed and caused all your issues though. Wonder how long it’s been lazy, did the wideband read lean a while before it grenaded?
Old 10-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #72
VB242
OG flat plane crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateVolvoPeople View Post
I don’t see the visual problem with the pump? That sucks that it failed and caused all your issues though. Wonder how long it’s been lazy, did the wideband read lean a while before it grenaded?
I put the leads directly to the battery, does not run. I didn't notice the wide band reading when the motor blew, I was merging onto the highway. I think the pump failure and motor destruction all happened very quickly. The tank is surprisingly rust free for being a 1980, still shiny on when I peep through the pump hole.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #73
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

Quote:
I put the leads directly to the battery, does not run. I didn't notice the wide band reading when the motor blew, I was merging onto the highway. I think the pump failure and motor destruction all happened very quickly. The tank is surprisingly rust free for being a 1980, still shiny on when I peep through the pump hole.
Dang it’s like when you buy a waterproof phone case and then submerge your phone for whatever reason and it completely gets destroyed, the company is like ".....well we can send you a new case to replace the faulty one..".
Old 10-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #74
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

that's a bitch. since you've got an 044 as a main pump, I'd say just drop in a regular 255 or something like that in-tank for the lift pump part.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #75
VB242
OG flat plane crank

Quote:
that's a bitch. since you've got an 044 as a main pump, I'd say just drop in a regular 255 or something like that in-tank for the lift pump part.
They're going to replace the 300 under warranty, after they get a look at it if course. The tech guy said I could wire in a fuel pressure sensor to MS, and have it cut power if the pressure drops below a threshold. Do you know anything about this? He also said he blew a motor himself 2 months ago and was going to incorporate a sensor with his megasquirt. I'm on micro.