home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
eregan
Board Member
 
eregan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Default Nitrous B230

Have a nicely set up B230F with the M47 in my 240. Gotta smoke the toyota civics and honda camrys; Interested in setting up nitrous. Anybody with experience on chemically charged redblocks? Motor has stock bottom end with a done up head 1992 B230F. Thanks!
__________________
92' white 244 GL stick N/A build
98' navy S70 T5 stick
previous cars:
85' grey 244 GL auto (RIP)
90' silver 244 DL stick (sold)
90' gold 245 DL auto (sold)
eregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:25 AM   #2
90volvo
Board Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Eldorado Springs Mo.
Default

Ive never ran nitrous on an b230 but have experience drag racing with nitrous. If I was going to do it to my Volvo 240 I would get a progressive nitrous controller and buy a good setup. Depending how much your going to run, probably need to beef up headgasket etc, Im curious too if these little engines can handle 100hp shot. By the time your done you probably wish you just put a turbo on it. Are you talking about beating modified toyotas and civics, or stock ones? These Volvo are heavy and are not aerodynamic.
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
Shifted
Midnight Watch
 
Shifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Hill, Shinshu Japan
Default

Here we go again...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bready View Post
He built my Bose 901s all by himself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Doing something because you enjoy it is a must in life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME II View Post
Without mistakes there is no learning.
"The mountain streams that rush on by/Show the fish a-jumpin' and reflect the open sky/The fresh clean smell of the pines/Symbol of unchanging times/All around this sacred land/Strangely, though, I've found my way/Right here I'm a-gonna stay/In this land" Tom Johnston/Doobie Brothers "Ukiah"

Lifeboat for the plankwalkers/otherwise disenfranchised.
Shifted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
eregan
Board Member
 
eregan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90volvo View Post
Ive never ran nitrous on an b230 but have experience drag racing with nitrous. If I was going to do it to my Volvo 240 I would get a progressive nitrous controller and buy a good setup. Depending how much your going to run, probably need to beef up headgasket etc, Im curious too if these little engines can handle 100hp shot. By the time your done you probably wish you just put a turbo on it. Are you talking about beating modified toyotas and civics, or stock ones? These Volvo are heavy and are not aerodynamic.
Joking about seriously racing anyone. Just wouldn't mind more power on straight aways/less windy roads. Yeah I was thinking of nitrous as a alternative to +T or FT swap. I have a .027 cometic atm. I could always go get the head shaved some more and run a different HG that would hold up better. What's a good setup?
eregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
iHateVolvoPeople
Lord_Athlons daddy
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregan View Post
Joking about seriously racing anyone. Just wouldn't mind more power on straight aways/less windy roads. Yeah I was thinking of nitrous as a alternative to +T or FT swap. I have a .027 cometic atm. I could always go get the head shaved some more and run a different HG that would hold up better. What's a good setup?
If you want more reliable power just turbo it

/thread
__________________
Feedback Thread
Current:
93' 244T M47
93' 245 M47
90' 744 AW70
94' M-Edition Miata 5 speed, 93k
95' Camry A140E, 246k
91' 745 Regina AW701, maybe future turbo project
99' Camry A140E. Admittedly the newest car Iíve ever owned.
Past (Volvos):
80' 242gt M46
88' 245T M47
92' 945T AW71
94' 945T AW71
90' 745T AW71 (Donor car for the 91)
90' 745 NA sold
93' 945T in burgundy




People think Volvos are good cars until they drive cars that are actually good.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
Cwazywazy
Single jingle
 
Cwazywazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Granby CT
Default

IIRC someone here did nitrous an otherwise stock 240 awhile ago.
__________________
I don't know what I have
Cwazywazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #7
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

breathe in the nitrous yourself for the ultimate winning feeling
__________________
85 245 | 82 242| 75 245| 69 145 |66 122



Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Donít bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
eregan
Board Member
 
eregan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
breathe in the nitrous yourself for the ultimate winning feeling
Hahaha
eregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:48 PM   #9
90volvo
Board Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Eldorado Springs Mo.
Default

I ran nitrous on a drag car for couple of yrs. The instant shock on drivetrain breaks parts. I broke trannys - axles- rearends- then headgaskets etc. On a brand new b230 engine it might last for little while. Sell your nitrous stuff and buy turbo parts. The hassel of filling bottles and keeping your pressure constant is a pain. But if you do try it let us know how it turns out. Only way to i would do it is with a progressive setup.
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
eregan
Board Member
 
eregan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90volvo View Post
I ran nitrous on a drag car for couple of yrs. The instant shock on drivetrain breaks parts. I broke trannys - axles- rearends- then headgaskets etc. On a brand new b230 engine it might last for little while. Sell your nitrous stuff and buy turbo parts. The hassel of filling bottles and keeping your pressure constant is a pain. But if you do try it let us know how it turns out. Only way to i would do it is with a progressive setup.
Yeah I'm gonna look into a Mitsubishi setup off of a 940. Thanks
eregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #11
bluemoose
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Default

1) drill small hole in air intake above filter
2) Sit NAWZ tank in passenger seat and run braided line from tank into engine bay, inserting end of the line into the aforementioned hole. Make sure end of line has no obstruction to NAWZ flow such as a nozzle or fitting. Secure with duct tape.
3) crank engine, put in drive.
4) open valve on tank and floor it.
5) enjoy!
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
eregan
Board Member
 
eregan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
1) drill small hole in air intake above filter
2) Sit NAWZ tank in passenger seat and run braided line from tank into engine bay, inserting end of the line into the aforementioned hole. Make sure end of line has no obstruction to NAWZ flow such as a nozzle or fitting. Secure with duct tape.
3) crank engine, put in drive.
4) open valve on tank and floor it.
5) enjoy!
I'd want a more controlled shot but i suppose it is that simple yeah
eregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #13
classicswede
Volvo upgrades
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Wales
Default

other than the fact you need the fuel to burn with it and the extra to cool
__________________
http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #14
kyote
Ridin' High & Sittin' Low
 
kyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: La Porte TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregan View Post
Wawawa
FTFY
__________________
-78 242 tic, a kyotefab/willettrun joint
-91 244 Daily
-14 F150 FX4 3.5 EcoBeast
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:23 PM   #15
bluemoose
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Default

I guess the joke was lost, I was being sarcastic. What I described is what we used to do to blow up a car's engine that we were about to haul to the junkyard.
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:39 AM   #16
eregan
Board Member
 
eregan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Still looking into bottle feeding the 240. Will keep the thread posted on updates...
eregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #17
RoadRacer4Life
Owner: DeathWagon
 
RoadRacer4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montgomery Alabama
Default

I've run a 100 wet shot before on an NA setup.. Its fun till you have to refill the bottle.

-Sam
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
Threads like this continue to underline the fact that none of yall are ever actually going to catch me.
90 245GL Build thread 2JZ coming soon...
91 245GL Dumpin Doughnuts Battle Wagon Chumpcar
93 245GL Street Beater
RoadRacer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #18
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

it's a lot of fun. you'll probably break the transmission (well, really, probably smoke the clutch first) before anything else tears up unless you're reckless.
__________________
"They bum rushed them in their own crib, they drank all their beer, they partied with their ladies and they left with the trophy"

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:23 AM   #19
eregan
Board Member
 
eregan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Going to get in touch with my buddy who runs a 10 second vette on the nitty gritty. Will hopefully post some results/videos in the near future. Severe lack of content on b230s with nitrous.
eregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #20
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregan View Post
Going to get in touch with my buddy who runs a 10 second vette on the nitty gritty. Will hopefully post some results/videos in the near future. Severe lack of content on b230s with nitrous.
that's not true, you just don't know what you're looking for.
linuxman51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #21
turbotankshane
Board Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Put a wet kit on it, put some good fuel in it, probably don't run more than a 75 shot without being able to pull timing, get ready to break things. I'm quite certain from personal experience that in proper condition, with a good tune and good fuel in it, your engine can handle the power. Can't really speak for the rest of your drivetrain.
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #22
Fjergus
Board Member
 
Fjergus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattle-ish
Default

Nah dog, get a bunch of whippet cans and one of those little crackers the tweakers use. Run a hose into one of the vacuum nipples on the intake and pull the trigger when you wanna smoke some rice burners. Plus it's food grade, so you can huff it while you're waiting for the tow truck to show up.
__________________
De ebrietate, ingenium!
Fjergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #23
rwb
Board Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: 740
Default

I've been thinking about this, it seems like a much simpler solution than trying to +T a Regina car in the rust belt where if there's a turbo car in a junkyard, they know what they have.

I wonder how quickly a progressive 35 or 50 shot would turn an AW70 into shrapnel
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBossk View Post
have you ever used YouTube for more than 5 minutes in your life?
rwb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #24
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

swap in an aw71 and step up to a real sized shot.
linuxman51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #25
iHateVolvoPeople
Lord_Athlons daddy
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb View Post
I've been thinking about this, it seems like a much simpler solution than trying to +T a Regina car in the rust belt where if there's a turbo car in a junkyard, they know what they have.

I wonder how quickly a progressive 35 or 50 shot would turn an AW70 into shrapnel
Probably pretty quickly unfortunately. A +T is always the way to go for a little more passing power on a budget. I'm in the midst of doing a +T on a regina car. Wish me luck.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.