home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #26
VB242
OG flat plane crank
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
You will be giving up squish, which is actually worse...
I've already been down this road with the B21, it worked very well. If the wire hadn't pulled out of the old ass Volvo EV1 connector and burned a pencil eraser sized hole through the cometic and the head I'd probably still be running that setup.
__________________
Me for President

First candidacy driven entirely by smart phone.

Campaign slogan
"Trump, I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire!"
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:04 PM   #27
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateVolvoPeople View Post
What did they do?
7.5:1 CR and mechanical fuel injection.
__________________


Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #28
mikep
The MP
 
mikep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: 38° 27' N 75° 29' W
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
I cc'd the head and it appears to be 49.7cc's. my thinnest feeler gauge .008" was a little tight, so I'm assuming John V is correct at the pistons being in .007" , this gives 10.94-1 on the summit calculator. I'm going to get the head skimmed and check it again. I'll probably order up a cometic thick enough to reduce the CR below 9-1. The pistons appear to be forged, but I'm no expert, I'll have the machinist look at one when I drop off the head.
Did you include the stock head gasket thickness in the calculation?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
This shit belongs in the virtue signaling thread. Let’s go back to talking about nazis.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #29
iHateVolvoPeople
Lord_Athlons daddy
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
7.5:1 CR and mechanical fuel injection.
Eh, no point in today’s era. Better fuel, tuning, etc. 7.5:1 is kinda useless unless you just wanna throw boost at it
__________________
Feedback Thread
Current:
93' 244T M47
93' 245 M47
90' 744 AW70
94' M-Edition Miata 5 speed, 93k
95' Camry A140E, 246k
91' 745 Regina AW701, maybe future turbo project
99' Camry A140E. Admittedly the newest car I’ve ever owned.
Past (Volvos):
80' 242gt M46
88' 245T M47
92' 945T AW71
94' 945T AW71
90' 745T AW71 (Donor car for the 91)
90' 745 NA sold
93' 945T in burgundy




People think Volvos are good cars until they drive cars that are actually good.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #30
VB242
OG flat plane crank
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
Did you include the stock head gasket thickness in the calculation?
I used .040"
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:00 PM   #31
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
I used .040"
b230 gaskets are 1.2mm/.047" compressed. Would guess b21 is probably the same.
__________________
'79 242
943 pickup
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #32
VB242
OG flat plane crank
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
b230 gaskets are 1.2mm/.047" compressed. Would guess b21 is probably the same.
I thought it was .047 new and .040 compressed? The extra .007" gives 10.72-1
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:05 AM   #33
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
I thought it was .047 new and .040 compressed? The extra .007" gives 10.72-1
I called Elring a few years back and they told me .047” compressed, idk
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:19 PM   #34
Broke4speed
Board Member
 
Broke4speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Marionville, Ontario, Canada
Default

Sometimes math gets in the way of work, IMO.

Assemble the way you want, and drive. The internet will always have reasons why something shouldn't be done.
__________________
1984 244/ B6304S+T / AW30-40 w/Poi-Shift.
Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:06 PM   #35
mikep
The MP
 
mikep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: 38° 27' N 75° 29' W
Default

Math is important if you don’t want to keep trying to make it work. Math lets you do it once.
I asked about the gasket because the CR return on the calculator surprised me. It ran good, but we never got it tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateVolvoPeople View Post
Eh, no point in today’s era. Better fuel, tuning, etc. 7.5:1 is kinda useless unless you just wanna throw boost at it
that’s what we are trying to do, numb-nuts. The more you pressurise it, the longer it gives a good push on the down stroke. And we have a big open chamber with hardly a quench pad in sight.
You can get away with a lot if you keep the octane up and the tune conservative (and fat). But that’s not how you make big power.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:49 PM   #36
VB242
OG flat plane crank
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

New rings showed up today, ITM from Rock Auto, not chromed like machinist said I would get. He said hit the bores with 320 grit and assemble the pistons/cylinders with ATF . Should I do something different with the rings not being chromed? I will try to assemble the bottom end tomorrow with new big end rod bearings and turbo drain welded in oil pan. Machinist recommended .024"-.025" ring gap, this is ok per Haynes manual specs as well.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:06 PM   #37
John V, outside agitator
Board Member
 
John V, outside agitator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sleezattle, WA, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
New rings showed up today, ITM from Rock Auto, not chromed like machinist said I would get. He said hit the bores with 320 grit and assemble the pistons/cylinders with ATF . Should I do something different with the rings not being chromed? I will try to assemble the bottom end tomorrow with new big end rod bearings and turbo drain welded in oil pan. Machinist recommended .024"-.025" ring gap, this is ok per Haynes manual specs as well.
Dang, I guess I better pack up that thing and get a mailing address and get it sent, huh?
__________________
John Vanlandingham/JVAB Imports
Sleezattle WA, USA

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:26 AM   #38
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member
 
Vincent Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
Dang, I guess I better pack up that thing and get a mailing address and get it sent, huh?
Hey! Ship me my manual ASAP, I need to leave in a week!
__________________
Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #39
iHateVolvoPeople
Lord_Athlons daddy
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
Math is important if you don’t want to keep trying to make it work. Math lets you do it once.
I asked about the gasket because the CR return on the calculator surprised me. It ran good, but we never got it tuned.

that’s what we are trying to do, numb-nuts. The more you pressurise it, the longer it gives a good push on the down stroke. And we have a big open chamber with hardly a quench pad in sight.
You can get away with a lot if you keep the octane up and the tune conservative (and fat). But that’s not how you make big power.
Yeah numb-nuts, and mordern fuels and tuning allow you to run higher compression with higher boost, making a much better daily driver.

Of course your error margin goes way down with higher compression, but something tells me OP isn’t making lots of power anyway.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #40
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

Except for the fact that 'modern' gas is crap.
__________________
Raise The Lowered


Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:10 PM   #41
VB242
OG flat plane crank
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateVolvoPeople View Post
Yeah numb-nuts, and mordern fuels and tuning allow you to run higher compression with higher boost, making a much better daily driver.

Of course your error margin goes way down with higher compression, but something tells me OP isn’t making lots of power anyway.
Dynod 257hp to the wheels at 18psi, did not Dyno at 24psi. Something tells me you're a whiny little know nothing Dunning-Kruger incel hater. And gas is pretty inconsistent. Go ask your fiancee, whoops I mean girlfriend what she thinks about it.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #42
mikep
The MP
 
mikep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: 38° 27' N 75° 29' W
Default

He knows he is, but what are we?
I feel like I'm back in class already "he said it so i said, it, and if I get in trouble I'll tell the principal"
And that always does what they expect.

And now, back to actual theory and building and blowing **** up.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:27 PM   #43
iHateVolvoPeople
Lord_Athlons daddy
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Except for the fact that 'modern' gas is crap.
Except for it’s not. And we have ways of knowing exactly what the content is and exactly what is happening inside the engine in each gas (except I guess OP doesn’t know)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Dynod 257hp to the wheels at 18psi, did not Dyno at 24psi. Something tells me you're a whiny little know nothing Dunning-Kruger incel hater. And gas is pretty inconsistent. Go ask your fiancee, whoops I mean girlfriend what she thinks about it.
Nice, a stock 2.0 turbo Chevy equinox produces similar power and runs on 87 octane. Learn how to tune your car and it won’t blow up. Sub 300whp b21 with M rods and aftermarket pistons, and you *still* blew it up. Find another hobby or pay a real tuner.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:38 PM   #44
John V, outside agitator
Board Member
 
John V, outside agitator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sleezattle, WA, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateVolvoPeople View Post
Except for it’s not. And we have ways of knowing exactly what the content is and exactly what is happening inside the engine in each gas (except I guess OP doesn’t know)
And you are checking the content and exactly what is happening each fill-up..
Right...


Quote:
Nice, a stock 2.0 turbo Chevy equinox produces similar power and runs on 87 octane. Learn how to tune your car and it won’t blow up. Sub 300whp b21 with M rods and aftermarket pistons, and you *still* blew it up. Find another hobby or pay a real tuner.

Well for once you're on to something..The GM Ecotec 2,0 turbo is exactly the same 86mm bore and 86mm stroke with the exact same cylinder head design and configuration as the Redblock: Just look at the similarities!



Brilliant put down! I bet he's field-stripping and cleaning his AK..

But wait...why does the simplest routine maintenance jobs you undertake need 150-200 posts here in order for you do ruin things???

Isn't there a forum somewhere where you can get the help you need?
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:51 PM   #45
2manyturbos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monroe, OR USA
Default

Not to mention the centrally located spark plug and better feel injection and ignition systems. Other than that, they are almost identical in that they both have four cylinders.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:03 PM   #46
VB242
OG flat plane crank
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateVolvoPeople View Post
Except for it’s not. And we have ways of knowing exactly what the content is and exactly what is happening inside the engine in each gas (except I guess OP doesn’t know)

Nice, a stock 2.0 turbo Chevy equinox produces similar power and runs on 87 octane. Learn how to tune your car and it won’t blow up. Sub 300whp b21 with M rods and aftermarket pistons, and you *still* blew it up. Find another hobby or pay a real tuner.
Your version of this hobby involves viral rocks and pennies in the valve train videos and posting unwanted and poorly informed opinions. Go polish your gun, it will keep you warm and abate some of your tiny penis insecurity complex.

There's plenty of G80 swap information available, why are you wasting bandwidth with your feeble post? Search noob.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #47
iHateVolvoPeople
Lord_Athlons daddy
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Your version of this hobby involves viral rocks and pennies in the valve train videos and posting unwanted and poorly informed opinions. Go polish your gun, it will keep you warm and abate some of your tiny penis insecurity complex.

There's plenty of G80 swap information available, why are you wasting bandwidth with your feeble post? Search noob.
My version of this hobby includes not having rods hanging out of the block.


(yet)
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #48
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateVolvoPeople View Post
Except for it’s not.


Tell the to the old timers that pulled up to the 'white pump' at the Standard station with their hot rods back in the day for some 110 to fill up on Friday night for some weekend fun.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:59 PM   #49
iHateVolvoPeople
Lord_Athlons daddy
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post


Tell the to the old timers that pulled up to the 'white pump' at Standard with their hot rods back in the day for some 110 to fill up on Friday night for some weekend fun.
What’s your point? You can still get consistent ethanol free 100+ octane.


But it’s ****ing expensive
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #50
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

Modern pump gas is cut with ethanol low octane crap gas.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.