home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 09-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
Roger88

Default Balance auxiliary shaft question

Hi all!

I'm looking to very soon sending my b230 engine block off for getting it bored, honed and decked.

I am sending crank shaft to get balanced aswell but my question is would I still retain the counter weights on the auxiliary shaft or get them machined off so the shaft only purpose is to drive the oil pump.

And while I remember are the oil galleries fine for big power or do I need to get them altered (I am going to get the oil pump upgrade aswell)

Cheers

Roger
Roger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

They are not counter weights but the old fuel pump drive. I see no reason why you can not grind them down and the some with the dizzy drive blank.

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger88 View Post
Hi all!

I'm looking to very soon sending my b230 engine block off for getting it bored, honed and decked.

I am sending crank shaft to get balanced aswell but my question is would I still retain the counter weights on the auxiliary shaft or get them machined off so the shaft only purpose is to drive the oil pump.

And while I remember are the oil galleries fine for big power or do I need to get them altered (I am going to get the oil pump upgrade aswell)

Cheers

Roger

back up...WHY are you going to sendf the crank out for balance? In clear text, what have you done to it that has affected the factory balance?

You do know that all inline 4 4 strokes are always horribly "balanced", dontcha?

Smarter guys than I say "weight match rods and pistons and you are fine.

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
Roger88

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
back up...WHY are you going to sendf the crank out for balance? In clear text, what have you done to it that has affected the factory balance?

You do know that all inline 4 4 strokes are always horribly "balanced", dontcha?

Smarter guys than I say "weight match rods and pistons and you are fine.

Hi mate I have K1 H beam rods and Wiseco forged pistons so that's why I'm sending it off to be balanced?

Cheers

Roger
Old 09-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Roger88

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
They are not counter weights but the old fuel pump drive. I see no reason why you can not grind them down and the some with the dizzy drive blank.
Hi mate,

Cheers for that information, the part closer to centre of aux shaft just looked like a counter weight as it was offset, learn something new every day!

Cheers

Roger
Old 09-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I wouldn't spend more than free-fitty on having the fuel pump and block dist blanks ground down. There's absolutely nothing to be gained there.

If you get a crank machined down to the next oversize, does that affect the balance enough to require a rebalance? But then the (tiny) amount of metal removed is offset by bearings that are that tiny amount thicker. Hmmm....
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger88 View Post
Hi mate I have K1 H beam rods and Wiseco forged pistons so that's why I'm sending it off to be balanced?

Cheers

Roger
weigh each piston and each rod. mark them. assemble so this piston and that rod weighs closes and you have the smallest overall weight difference..Betch the rods are within 1 gram and the pistons within 1-2 g
Weight group like OEMs.
Save money for gearbox with good ratios.. The return in fun on that is much more than the nothing gained in obsessing about sub 1 gram differences..It ain't getting spun up to 14,000
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote