home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
sweet850
Board Member
 
sweet850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northeast
Default New to RWD

Hey all. Just trying to get a grip on availability and resources for 740 parts. My son and I are building up a 1988 4 speed sedan. Not sure if this is the right place to ask bout this stuff.

We are looking for 17" wheels and tires for the car, and selection seems limited. I was given a link that showed me VOXX 17x8 with 245-40-17's, and they looked great. I know I can use FWD rims with spacers, not sure if I wan to do that tho.

We are installing Kilen springs. 1.6" drop, and have new KYB dampers in already. So I guess I need to know about fender rub.

Just a bit of background, we installed a 15g, a '90+ exhaust mani, and are having a 2.5" turbo back exhaust fabbed this weekend, with 2 straight thru mufflers, and a hiflo cat, all Magnaflo from Jegs, pipes from Columbia. Also a K+N drop in filter. Doing rotors and pads ASAP. New sway links with poly bushings also. This car goes real good!

Thanks for entertaining the newb questions, looking forward to your replies.
sweet850 is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.
 
Karl Buchka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Default

For 17" wheels at a decent price your best bet will probably be something FWD with spacers.

I would strongly consider going to a 3" exhaust off the bat. You're spending money twice getting a 2.5" setup.
__________________
Fake Race Car
Karl Buchka is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Tom Wiley
Board Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Default

As you may have pound, volvo's bolt pattern is 5X108. Ebay can be a great source of wheels; you just have to get lucky. Ferrari, some ford, some jags all use 5x108. You can also make a thread in the "wanted" section to see what comes up.
Tom Wiley is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
740Weapon
Traitor
 
740Weapon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Salem MA
Default

like Karl said, go 3" on the exhaust,

K&N filters are a joke, run a paper element to keep your motor clean.

KYB shocks aren't that great, get bilstein HDs
__________________
'92 944 Turbo:13.400@99.68. Sold.
'90 744 16 Valve. 16.317@85.55. Sold.
'92 244. Sold. http://pbase.com/740weapon
740Weapon is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
sweet850
Board Member
 
sweet850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northeast
Default

OK lets review. The budget is very limited, sooo...

KYB's are new and installed already.
The K+N is also bought already, FCP 15% off sale, so Why not? I have the oil/charge kit already.

I have already purchased the 2.5" exhaust parts and piping, they are in my basement, so I'm not shipping 75 pounds of parts back to the vendors, no way.
The original DP is 2.5" from the conical 15g, so thats what I'm using.
The car has 225k miles on it, I'm not doing a frame up restoration.

The car already can't keep from spinning tires in 1st, how much more torque do I need? And it's for my kid, not me.

So I guess I'll poke around, look for some deals, thanks for the replies. ANy vendor sites I should check out?
sweet850 is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
740Weapon
Traitor
 
740Weapon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Salem MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet850 View Post
The car already can't keep from spinning tires in 1st, how much more torque do I need? And it's for my kid, not me.
sounds to me like it just has bad tires.

Next time you want project advice, contact the forum of that vehicle before you buy anything. your basically screwing yourself on quite a few parts.

for example, just cut the springs and save the $$ to spend elsewhere.
740Weapon is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
sweet850
Board Member
 
sweet850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northeast
Default

I bought the car 5 months ago from a multi Volvo owner I trust, and money was a problem upfront, so he advised me on the parts I've purchased. The springs were $180 delivered, I'm not gonna cut springs and change rates and performance.

It is what it is, and I'm sure won't meet the standards of a true brick tuner. It's my kids car, it doesn't need to go 13 sec 1/4. It just has to steer and stop well, and sound cool to the kid. Help me with what I have, stop your wish list impositions on my project. Thanks anyway, tho.

And tires are part of my wheel questions. I have other interior issues with the car that need to be addressed/paid for, and some body trim that needs to be replaced, and some audio upgrades also. So I'm going cheap as possible and that's that.

I don't mean to be rude, I asked for info not critique.
sweet850 is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
Steve C
Board Member
 
Steve C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: 9 Shetland St
Default

On behalf of some of the more mature members here, I'm sorry. There are a lot of dicks here. Do what you gotta do and take what you can from the info here. Sounds like your kid will have a fun car to drive.
__________________
93 940 Turbo, MBC, 3" exhaust, cut fronts, more to do...
Steve C is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
740Weapon
Traitor
 
740Weapon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Salem MA
Default

On the tires thing,

I see your from the northeast so on the plus side, you dont have to get nice rims until spring, on the minus side, you have to get snow tires or your son probably wont survive winter. You should also consider filling the trunk buttcheeks with bags of sand.
740Weapon is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
sweet850
Board Member
 
sweet850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northeast
Default

Thanks for the smooth over.

We are looking at snows now, using the stock steelies. You are correct, sir, we will not be doing that stuff till the spring. Just trying to gather info, and get my budget set. Car has snows/AW tires on now, but tread is thin. The car seems tail light in general, no? He needs to learn how to feather the clutch, or start off in 2nd gear, thats what I do. Car also has some sort of boost chip in it, goes ballistic in 3rd gear.

I must admit, the car has a ride as nice as my buddies, BMW.
sweet850 is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
Janspeed
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Default

Snow tires: Nokian Hakkapeliitta's, Skandinavian tires with a very good reputation. They come in different versions so you might want to google them and read up on the differences between the types. Nokian seems to pop up repeatedly in top3 of best buys.

On top of that there are multiple snowtire threads posted on this forum. You could try the search function and find a wealth of input. That way you can balance price against experience/performance and make an informed choice.

about the tail lightness: have you checked how thick the rear swaybar is? If it has the huge IPD bar (25mm) then thats the reason for the tail lightness. (Stock 700/900 came with either NO rear sbar at all, 16mm or 19mm (turbo's and 16V's))
a good winter setup tip: completely remove the rear swaybar on the rear axel.(if present) This will give smoother progressive handling, less snappy oversteer and better traction out of corners.(less inside wheelspin) In summer you can put the sbar back on again for flatter faster cornering with those big 17"-ers you plan to use.
Try it, it works.

Last edited by Janspeed; 12-07-2009 at 07:44 PM..
Janspeed is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
ErikS
FWD!
 
ErikS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Houston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet850 View Post
We are looking for 17" wheels and tires for the car, and selection seems limited. I was given a link that showed me VOXX 17x8 with 245-40-17's, and they looked great.
Hi Sean,

Myself and other Houston Volvo owners have had bad luck with two Voxx models, MG and Misano as they bent easy. Which Voxx model are you looking at? If your roads are anything like ours, might I suggest a stronger wheel choice, possibly even on OEM?

-Erik
__________________
'95 854 T5M
'15 MB ML350
'15 F150 3.5 Ecoboost
ErikS is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
John V, outside agitator
Board Member
 
John V, outside agitator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sleezattle, WA, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet850 View Post
and are having a 2.5" turbo back exhaust fabbed this weekend, with 2 straight thru mufflers, and a hiflo cat, all Magnaflo from Jegs, pipes from Columbia

.
Go 3" or don't bother.
It is the foundation of other mods, and when you decide the microscopic Mitsubishi is weenier than weenie, and you get a correctly sized T3 Garrett, you won't have to re-do the exhaust.
__________________
John Vanlandingham/JVAB Imports
Sleezattle WA, USA

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #14
VQ
Not such a PRVert Anymore
 
VQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
Go 3" or don't bother.
It is the foundation of other mods, and when you decide the microscopic Mitsubishi is weenier than weenie, and you get a correctly sized T3 Garrett, you won't have to re-do the exhaust.
I know a bloke who reckons cos he has a "TME" exhaust that is 2.5" he doesn't need a 3" for his t3... silly guy who listens to brand names.
__________________

hellastock
Speed Bumps? No Problem.


264 GLE RIP
88 740T wagon
1964 122s

88 760GLE
VQ is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
740Weapon
Traitor
 
740Weapon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Salem MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee_Que View Post
I know a bloke who reckons cos he has a "TME" exhaust that is 2.5" he doesn't need a 3" for his t3... silly guy who listens to brand names.
regardless on whether its ideal or not, i ran a 13.400 on TME exhaust, now I have TLAO 3" but have not had a chance to measure the improvement.
740Weapon is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #16
driftbrick744
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Woonsocket, Rhode Island
Default

I am also starting to doubt K&N filters. What kind of cone filter is out there that is paper element or at least better material than K&N?
__________________
700 powuh
850 slowzor
driftbrick744 is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
wagonfetish
extarordinaíre
 
wagonfetish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northernmost San Diego, CA
Default

I always use a foam filter wrap with my k&n cones, works great and definitely extends the 'service interval'
__________________
~Steve
1974 142

Brickspeed.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
... but when you're short fat and ugly, your mom dresses you funny, and you're living in the 'rent's basement buying a 245 can give you hope.
wagonfetish is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #18
sweet850
Board Member
 
sweet850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northeast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikS View Post
Hi Sean,

Myself and other Houston Volvo owners have had bad luck with two Voxx models, MG and Misano as they bent easy. Which Voxx model are you looking at? If your roads are anything like ours, might I suggest a stronger wheel choice, possibly even on OEM?

-Erik
Stalker! How'd you know it was me? Recognize my syntax? Haha!

They were MG's.
sweet850 is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #19
sweet850
Board Member
 
sweet850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northeast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
Go 3" or don't bother.
It is the foundation of other mods, and when you decide the microscopic Mitsubishi is weenier than weenie, and you get a correctly sized T3 Garrett, you won't have to re-do the exhaust.
Wow ton of info fast!

Sway bar info duley noted and acknowledged.

OK, lets have this 3" thing out. Realizing that I have $300 worth of 2.5" mufflers, cats, pipes, 90's, 180's, and 45's, in my basement, and it was really easy for me to ship it all back and get cash credited back to PAyPAl account, AND assuming my son will want to keep a car with a 1/4 million miles on it long enough to do a serious turbo upgrade, how do you get a 3" DP on a conical flanged 15g? Which would be another expense, DP and flange. I bought the car for $1000, so a $600 + exhaust is kinda, I don't know, WHACK.
sweet850 is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #20
sweet850
Board Member
 
sweet850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northeast
Default

PS: My 855 has a TrueFlow universal cylinder type foam filter, it's awesome.
sweet850 is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #21
Sir Psycho
holstrich 2.0
 
Sir Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet850 View Post
Wow ton of info fast!

Sway bar info duley noted and acknowledged.

OK, lets have this 3" thing out. Realizing that I have $300 worth of 2.5" mufflers, cats, pipes, 90's, 180's, and 45's, in my basement, and it was really easy for me to ship it all back and get cash credited back to PAyPAl account, AND assuming my son will want to keep a car with a 1/4 million miles on it long enough to do a serious turbo upgrade, how do you get a 3" DP on a conical flanged 15g? Which would be another expense, DP and flange. I bought the car for $1000, so a $600 + exhaust is kinda, I don't know, WHACK.

I just did a 3" exhaust turbo back for $375 shipped. Pipe from mandrelbendingsolutions.com and a $50 magnaflow muffler and $50 universal cat. If you know someone with a welder they can weld it all for you.
__________________
Isaac



1995 940 Turbo:
531 head, Holset HE351 @ 20 psi, Emusa External Wastegate w/screamer, Mild Steel Header, 4" Downpipe, Ostrich Emulator, IPD Turbo Cam, TTR Cam Gear, Big Piping and Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, V8 T5 soon, Synapse Synchronic BOV, AEM Wideband, 18" Pegasus, B&G Springs, Billy HD's, Chassis Bracing, Sumimoto HTR ZIII 225/40/18
Sir Psycho is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #22
122ti
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Default

Hey Sweet850,
Ditch the K&N, they let alot of dirt in and get oil on the mass air flow sensor. This screws up your fuel metering, etc. As for snow tires, I have had good luck with Nokian studded tires. I've had a set for years that I just throw on the back of my 240 when it snows and take off when the roads are clear. I've had them since like '01. Studs may be illeagal where you are but get them anyway, 740s have a pretty low rear gearing and need snow tires. Hope this helps.
122ti is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #23
lummert
Board Member
 
lummert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland IN
Default New to RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet850 View Post
Hey all. Just trying to get a grip on availability and resources for 740 parts. My son and I are building up a 1988 4 speed sedan. Not sure if this is the right place to ask bout this stuff.

We are looking for 17" wheels and tires for the car, and selection seems limited. I was given a link that showed me VOXX 17x8 with 245-40-17's, and they looked great. I know I can use FWD rims with spacers, not sure if I wan to do that tho.

We are installing Kilen springs. 1.6" drop, and have new KYB dampers in already. So I guess I need to know about fender rub.

Just a bit of background, we installed a 15g, a '90+ exhaust mani, and are having a 2.5" turbo back exhaust fabbed this weekend, with 2 straight thru mufflers, and a hiflo cat, all Magnaflo from Jegs, pipes from Columbia. Also a K+N drop in filter. Doing rotors and pads ASAP. New sway links with poly bushings also. This car goes real good!

Thanks for entertaining the newb questions, looking forward to your replies.
Am I the only one to notice 4 speed trans. Are you saying it is 4 speed auto? If not, maybe it is a 4 speed with overdrive.
__________________
Trying to understand stupid people is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
lummert is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #24
sweet850
Board Member
 
sweet850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northeast
Default

4 gear manual with an OD button. new clutch.

3" pipe on a conical exhaust flange, how?
sweet850 is offline  
Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #25
sweet850
Board Member
 
sweet850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northeast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122ti View Post
Hey Sweet850,
Ditch the K&N, they let alot of dirt in and get oil on the mass air flow sensor. This screws up your fuel metering, etc. As for snow tires, I have had good luck with Nokian studded tires. I've had a set for years that I just throw on the back of my 240 when it snows and take off when the roads are clear. I've had them since like '01. Studs may be illeagal where you are but get them anyway, 740s have a pretty low rear gearing and need snow tires. Hope this helps.
Ok, I'll see a bout a return and a stock filter.
sweet850 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.