travisminchew
Board Member

Default bilsteins and ABS

you cant run bilstein hd's with abs???
travisminchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
travisminchew
Board Member

i was just on ipd looking at bilstein hd's for the front and it says in red not for cars with abs...i have a 240
Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I have an ABS 240, and I have Bilstein HD's.

Later model struts have a little less room inside, and they're a littl eshorter that earlier strut housings. Well, the earlier housings had removable spacers in the bottom used with the OEM inserts, they're welded in place with the ABS strut housings.

But it all still *barely* fits. There are very thin stickers on the Bil HD's that I had to peel off, it's that close. Any rust inside your strut tube and it probably won't fit until you clean it out. And then, the big gland nut that holds it in won't seat all the way down. Not that it's supposed to seat against the strut housing itself, it's supposed to bottom out on the strut insert to hold *it* in place, but with this combination it only screws in a handful of threads before tightening onto the insert.

In my esteemed shade tree mechanic estimation - it was enough threads to work (has to hold against the rebound valving). I put some blue loctite on it and it's been fine for about 5, 5 1/2 years and about 30K miles so far. I occasionally peel up the rubber dust boot and look at them to see if it looks like they've been moving, but no problems yet.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
mrnabisco
Board Member

I run Bilsteins in my 91 245 with ABS. Had a good mechanic put them on so I don't really know how hard it was.

Bert
mrnabisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
travisminchew
Board Member

ok so loctite an im good to go, thanks guys
Old 04-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
122ti
Board Member

I did the blue loctite thing a year ago and it is holding fine. Just make sure you get it nice and tight the first time. Use a proper gland nut spanner or big pipe wrench.
122ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Not to be a naysayer but I've tried to fit them in ABS and late model strut tubes with the welded in spacer and it was just not enough gland nut engagement for me to trust. So my 2 cents is that they don't fit. Those guys got lucky. I didn't.

In fact the latest version of what Bilstein is selling as their cheaper TC shock line didn't fit either.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Not to be a naysayer but I've tried to fit them in ABS and late model strut tubes with the welded in spacer and it was just not enough gland nut engagement for me to trust. So my 2 cents is that they don't fit. Those guys got lucky. I didn't.

In fact the latest version of what Bilstein is selling as their cheaper TC shock line didn't fit either.
hmmm, so it seems there is a small market for gland nuts that would have more threads??

Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
mrnabisco
Board Member

FYI: I did have one of the gland nuts pop loose shortly after install but took it back and the mechanic got it back on... Have run some 20k miles since so I guess I'll color myself lucky.

Bert
mrnabisco is offline   Reply With Quote