• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

First time cam swap! (Any pointers?)

VolvoEmpire

I will be swapping my M cam for the V cam based on all your wonderful reccomendations. So what should I expect, what do I need to make sure I do for a flawless swap?

87 244 b230f

Valve Shim Kit

fullsize_3114.jpg

Learn the finer points to installing the timing belt correctly.

Once you torque the center bolt in the snout of the cam, use proper technique to hold the cam (don't use the belt to hold...will jump teeth and you will be redoing it. Use blue Loctite on that center bolt so it doesn't loosen and crash a valve into a piston. Buy the best belt possible.... OEM.

Is the valve shim kit a must? Cause this weekend is looking really good for this.

I've had so many engines apart, I have a drawer full of them.
Usually, you can swap the 8 shims you have around and get the lash adjustment right.
Once in a while, you'll need one you don't have.
Better loose then tight.

I recommend angled feeler gauge, micrometers, pen and paper. You can just measure all the shims and reuse some of them. You can measure out the ones you need and the dealer has them for a few dollars each. I'm sure people on here would have the sizes you need also. The kit would be nice if you are in a hurry. If you have a week or two then you don't need the kit. I never used it.

You'll need some digital calipers/micrometers to measure the shims that are in there. Valve spring depressor that presses the buckets down means you don't have take the cam out every time you change a shim, new cam cover gasket and cam seals. As the base circle is the same diameter you might get lucky and not have to change any. Most are around 4mm thick. When I went from T to V I had to change one bucket. When I went from V to IPD I had to change every one.

You'll need some digital calipers/micrometers to measure the shims that are in there. Valve spring depressor that presses the buckets down means you don't have take the cam out every time you change a shim, new cam cover gasket and cam seals. As the base circle is the same diameter you might get lucky and not have to change any. Most are around 4mm thick. When I went from T to V I had to change one bucket. When I went from V to IPD I had to change every one.

This. Not that uncommon.
The sizes are written on the shims also.

Hushers are optional yes.
The shims are usually marked with the size, but sometimes the markings get worn off, and always best to measure twice/swap once thus the digital calipers.
You can rent them free at O'Reilleys.

Back