• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Lock cylinder drivers door

thismachine13

'89 245 drivers side door has been sticky to unlock. Pulled the door panel thinking maybe it was the mechanicals but see that it's the lock cylinder. Take it out and as I turn it upside down it unlocks and locks fine.

Is there any reason I can't just swap the passenger door lock cylinder for the drivers side? Switching sides will put the drivers cylinder upside down and it should work well over there? Or should I remove the e clip and have a look inside the cylinder? Maybe something is preventing one of the pins from moving properly?

I’ve disassembled my tailgate lock cylinder before, it’s not hard. Actually filed a bit off the tumblers to fix it to account for the wear. The drivers cylinder isn’t much different.

Main thing is to keep track of the numbers where the tumblers go. There should be six pairs of two and each should have a spring. This is tiny stuff! But I cleaned them up really good and lubed them lightly and put it back together, no issues anymore.

I had a video somewhere, not sure anymore. If you want I can throw it up on YouTube.

Perhaps only a little lock lubricant.

Make sure that the electrical collar will fit if upside down. That was a pain to get back on.

iipsrv__04563.1479249208.1280.1280.jpg

CLP Break Free is quality stuff.....use it on my guns.

This is something different than what some lubricant will fix. Feels like something is physically keeping it from unlocking. Weird that turning it upside down allows it to work. I'm going to swap passenger and driver. It shouldn't affect the way the autolock fits.

My can of CLP has a hole that I punctured in the bottom because it wouldn't spray anymore but still has lubricant in the can. I shake a little out whenever I need some.

What I did have that I sprayed into the cylinder was PB Blaster. The cylinder works if I hold it upside down and a couple times when I flip it back the way it will be oriented in the door. Then it refuses to lock. Unlock works flawlessly.

Aforementioned can of CLP
WxAr43wl.jpg

The small little piece surrounded by black is what is hanging up. Upside down it falls down enough to allow the lock to rotate. With how it sits in the door gravity holds it out just enough to cause it to catch.
GX9eR5zl.jpg

Ok. I pushed on that piece with it upside down (unable to lock) and it didn't make a difference. It's something inside. How do I get into this cylinder?

Got it. Just kept working it back and forth and spraying brake kleen trough it. Felt some grit come out and it seems to work fine now. Probably sometime in the past had used my key to scrape some grease off of some part and didn't get it wiped off well, then inserted to unlock the door and it finally found its way into a tumbler.

Again.....the cylinders are specific to each side...But by swapping the actuator arm that locks and unlocks the door you can use passenger on driver side and vice versa.

Last edited:
Sweet! Glad to hear you got it!

I’ll still look for the videos in the morning for prosperity but looks like you don’t need them :)

Back