• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T3/T4 not spooling in first

Do not do this. Reducing ignition timing to make less power, in fact, makes less power.

Have you ever tried exactly as I posted?

Retarded timing with large throttle openings when not in boost in an rpm range that makes sense for waking the turbo. OP has a turbo that doesn't wake until 3000-3500 now. Retard timing in the map from 2500-3500 with over 80% throttle opening. Can be done via TPS or MAP values in the EMS maps. Ten degrees will make a noticeable change in waking that turbo. Obviously timing is as normal everywhere else in the map.

Not retarded timing throughout the range. Only to get more heat into exhaust until boost comes up.

Last edited:
Honestly I don?t mind the lag, that said, if the lag is caused by an issue aside from the fact that it?s just a big turbo, then I?d like to fix it. Seems like TBers can?t agree if it?s just a big turbo or something is making it take longer to spool. Some people claim what I?m experiencing is standard while others say it should spool nearly 2k rpm earlier... Just wish there was a consensus lol.

Engine load builds boost, not RPM. Not enough load, you won't get high boost.

Most boost threshold/lag tests are done on 3rd/4th gear.

T04E 60 trim is capable of making 400-500hp, if your cylinder head can breath.
http://turbocharged.com/catalog/compmaps/fig16.html

Stage III turbine wheel and .63 a/r is not helping you for fast spool.

Ok I had a feeling this was the case. Will have to do further testing in higher gears... ie higher speeds. I guess I?ll just have to embrace the lag until I can afford to go 16v lol.

Stock cylinder head?
Put it on a dyno would be the safe way to monitor boost in high gear.

Yea around that. But even with a short first gear, this thing doesn’t even spool until 5000 in 2nd.

What do you mean? You see 0 psi until after 5000 rpm? Or do you mean you see your max boost by 5000 rpm?

Garbage in, garbage out. This is why logs, pictures, videos of your setup are important.

I can tell you the RPM .1psi happen on my car and when max boost hits. I can also tell you that my max boost hit at sooner in 4th than in 3rd gear.

booststarts.jpg

3rd gear
boosthreshold3rdgear.jpg

4th gear
boosthreshold4thgear.jpg

Last edited:
The car is actually undergoing other maintenance at the moment so I can?t exactly tell you exactly what I meant. If I remember correctly, it would stay pretty well around zero until around 4000 I?d say and then boost begins to climb slowly until 5000 where it just shoots up exponentially right up to peak boost. It comes on very suddenly making me think It?s maybe a gain setting in my EBC.

I really wish I could go MS just to have data like that haha. Its very nice.

Once the car is running again I?ll film a video and maybe that will help.

There are a few tbrickers out yer way. Canuck is in lethbridge. He would know guys out your way. There are quite a few of us coasters.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=328003&
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsx-HTIYPn3CiBQFd4rMyXw

Here is a question, Where did you get the car and was it modified before you got it? Is there a series of holes drilled in the hub of your cam gear? Avalanche performance used to redrill cam gears so you could reposition them for small changes in cam timing. He was in Calgary. He modified cars and sold gears to guys. If you got one in there installed wrong that could be part of your cars many issues.
As was said before, you need to verify cam timing, and start from the beginning.
If you continue on this path of experimentation, moving cams a notch and trying to run 18psi with no way to hear or sense knock this is what will happen:
koolaid.jpg

There are a few tbrickers out yer way. Canuck is in lethbridge. He would know guys out your way. There are quite a few of us coasters.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=328003&
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsx-HTIYPn3CiBQFd4rMyXw

Here is a question, Where did you get the car and was it modified before you got it? Is there a series of holes drilled in the hub of your cam gear? Avalanche performance used to redrill cam gears so you could reposition them for small changes in cam timing. He was in Calgary. He modified cars and sold gears to guys. If you got one in there installed wrong that could be part of your cars many issues.
As was said before, you need to verify cam timing, and start from the beginning.
If you continue on this path of experimentation, moving cams a notch and trying to run 18psi with no way to hear or sense knock this is what will happen:
koolaid.jpg

Although I do have an adjustable cam gear ready to go for the car (RSI style) it has not yet been installed and therefore shouldn’t be contributing to the issue. This weekend I am going to be doing a timing belt job on the car, besides the usual stuff, is there anything I should look for that would explain my issues? Or at least confirm certain things aren’t contributing? Got the car from a guy here in Calgary who seemed like he had gone through his fair share of Volvos (referred to multiple he owned previously while I talked with him), that said, no mods had been done once I got it.

Although I do have an adjustable cam gear ready to go for the car (RSI style) it has not yet been installed and therefore shouldn?t be contributing to the issue.
Thats the thing, he was redrilling factory gears. They look the same but can be installed at different points because he drilled holes in just like the current ipd one. I thought i would bring it up because a secretly advanced/retarded cam could throw a guy for a loop while tuning, and the likelihood of coming across one of those gears is highest where you live.:nod:

Boosting properly or not, that turbo is too big for your set up. Also LH2.2 won't adjust for larger injectors so you're probably rich.
I maxed out my stock injectors on a T04B compressor (slightly smaller I think?) At 12 psi. At 18psi you'd need much larger injectors with that big turbo. In your favor is probably the stick cam choking things off on the high end.
In other words, you're playing with fire, chasing your tail. Get a stock turbo and injectors in there and get it running right.

Do you have a wideband to check and see if you're running rich? I would probably do that far before installing a big turbo.

When I have mystery issues, I'll try to revert everything to eliminate stuff. Issues like, cam setting, injectors, blah.

It seems like everything has already been said in this thread so

Boosting properly or not, that turbo is too big for your set up. Also LH2.2 won't adjust for larger injectors so you're probably rich.
I maxed out my stock injectors on a T04B compressor (slightly smaller I think?) At 12 psi. At 18psi you'd need much larger injectors with that big turbo. In your favor is probably the stick cam choking things off on the high end.
In other words, you're playing with fire, chasing your tail. Get a stock turbo and injectors in there and get it running right.

Installed browntops and adjusted them for lh 2.2 using the guide. They seem to work fine. Wideband readings are great. Solid 14.5 +\- .1 at idle and no learning under boost. I understand that the turbo I have is probably larger than what most people would run on my setup, but I’m really just trying to understand if it’s spooling properly and is just big, or if there are other issues.
Do you have a wideband to check and see if you're running rich? I would probably do that far before installing a big turbo.

I do have a properly working wideband and the AFRs seem to be good.

Well then there's likely something either fundamentally wrong, or it just doesn't spool quickly. Maybe there's a bottleneck in your exhaust, or the wastegate isn't sealing correctly, or there's an exhaust leak, or your turbo isn't functioning correctly. I don't know.

I feel like most solutions have been noted. Compare the spool time to similarly equip vehicles and confirm that it actually spools quickly as quickly as you think.

Well then there's likely something either fundamentally wrong, or it just doesn't spool quickly. Maybe there's a bottleneck in your exhaust, or the wastegate isn't sealing correctly, or there's an exhaust leak, or your turbo isn't functioning correctly. I don't know.

I feel like most solutions have been noted. Compare the spool time to similarly equip vehicles and confirm that it actually spools quickly as quickly as you think.

How would you advise going through the forums and finding vehicles equipped the same? I?ll start searching and see what I can find.

Not sure how you're getting brown tops to work. 2.2 has very little room for adjustment- I couldn't even get 940 turbo injectors to run properly(tried stock AND chipped ecu), and they are only 10% bigger than stock. Brown tops are about 30% larger iirc.

Back