• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Week long 240 LS Swap

colorado240

I picked up a pretty clean 1990 240 wagon with a 5 speed a few weeks and and decided that I wanted to go fast. I ended up picking up a lm7 5.3 and a 4l60e from a 2004 Silverado. The engine combo was from someone who had already prepped the engine for a different swap, it had a f-body accessory drive and oil pan along with a PSI harness. The goal was to just get everything together and get it running as fast as possible, I'm moving and losing my garage. Eventually ill do the 8.8 swap and upgrade the brakes/suspension, but for now its pretty much stock.

-The engine mounts I built using a Barnes 4x4 cross member kit, and notched the cross member so the f-body oil pan would have room, and the engine and trans can go in in one piece.
-The headers are the summit brand ls swap, and the STS machining steering shaft for clearance.
-Fuel system is a walbro 255 in tank with an6 lines to a corvette regulator.
-Single piece driveshaft made locally.
-Purchased a stock volvo auto shifter and made linkage to shift the 4l60e.
-Kept the stock brass radiator, it was in great shape, but wired up a 16" pusher fan.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now. Took about a week, wasn't terribly difficult. I'm still finishing up the gauge wiring, and waiting for a sts cross member to come in (I have a temp one I welded up)

IMG-6194.JPG

IMG-6253.jpg

IMG-6642.jpg

IMG-6637.jpg

IMG-6648.jpg

IMG-6657.jpg

IMG-6711.jpg

IMG-6808.jpg

IMG-6837.jpg

Pump.jpg

IMG-6805.jpg

Engine.jpg

Last edited:
Who the heck put 140-series wheels on a 240?
Could be 160 - late ones have enough offset and width (5.5") that they're not really any worse than original 240 wheels. If they are 140 though, that's a pretty deliberate choice, it needs spacers to clear everything and is only 5" wide.
I'm just laughing at myself for how long it took me to get my LS swap on the road.
Yeah, for every story that reads "it cost $500 and only took a week to do, I don't see what the big deal is," there's 1000 that take multiple years, bankrupt the builder, catch fire, never run, etc - depends on the goals, resources, and skill of the builder. Still impressive to see, though!

well that's sketchy knowing that there's a crossmember with that much cut out of it on the road...

ls swap

hey nice swap!!!
Ive been working with mine for about 3 years in spare times . I would have loved to get a hold of the pedal assembly , but ive done mine already .
Kinda Jealous you got yours already on the road cause im stock home because of the Chicago ordinance of staying at home.

Welcome to TB!!!
Take care and enjoy the ride!!!!
DZ:rofl:

Could be 160 - late ones have enough offset and width (5.5") that they're not really any worse than original 240 wheels. If they are 140 though, that's a pretty deliberate choice, it needs spacers to clear everything and is only 5" wide.Yeah, for every story that reads "it cost $500 and only took a week to do, I don't see what the big deal is," there's 1000 that take multiple years, bankrupt the builder, catch fire, never run, etc - depends on the goals, resources, and skill of the builder. Still impressive to see, though!

It was more than $500... probably closer to $3500 with the engine, trans and all the other stuff that came up. But being on Covid lock down in Colorado gave me plenty of time. As for the wheels, there are no spacers and they fit, so I assume they are the 160 ones?

Hell ya! I’m working on mine right now too with al this down time haha. Did you bypass all the stock regulator and filter **** under the rear and put in the vette regulator there?

Hell ya! I?m working on mine right now too with al this down time haha. Did you bypass all the stock regulator and filter **** under the rear and put in the vette regulator there?

I just removed all the stock lines, filter, and pump and picked up a corvette regulator that came with AN adapters. made it super easy.

Impressively quick work. I am guessing you have done some swaps before...

As for the wheels, there are no spacers and they fit, so I assume they are the 160 ones?

Those look like the 140 wheels to me. They will fit a 240. If you decide to ditch them, keep me in mind. I am in CO.

Who the heck put 140-series wheels on a 240?

Could be 160 - late ones have enough offset and width (5.5") that they're not really any worse than original 240 wheels

Those look like the 140 wheels to me. They will fit a 240. If you decide to ditch them, keep me in mind. I am in CO.

According to this wheel interchange TSB the 140 wheels will cause the tires to rub in the rear on a 240. The late 140/164 wheels all look the same so it's hard to tell which they are without checking the part number.

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/images/SB_77_1_Wheel_Rims.pdf

Back