• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

NV3500 in a 740

Ghost25k

The only thread I can find on here regarding this is one from 4 years ago that makes a few assumptions, but doesn't have a difinitive answer. I realize it's a crappy transmission in terms of hotrodding a vehicle, but that's not what I'm doing.

I have a C1500 4.3 TBI 5 spd with only 130k miles that runs excellently, but the body is trashed. It would take too much money to get it safe to drive again. I have an '86 740 with a decent body on it, but the motor is on its last leg. The interior is hell, but can be stripped. I want to put the good motor/tranny in the good body.

Looking to get some experience with motor swaps while ending up with a pretty nifty little car to drive around.

If I'm reading correctly, I should be able to do the swap, but I may need to relocate the fuse and relay panels and use a "speed" style shifter. Has anyone else done this swap and ran into a problem that I'm overlooking?

Oh, that's rather neat! Thank you very much. I think I may be able to make something like that without too much trouble.

Nv3500

Why the hate for the NV3500? I'm just starting a v8 conversion with a 960 and was thinking about this tranny. What about it makes it so bad?

Just Google it instead of asking something people have answered a million times online. They are made of glass, it doesn't take much to break them.

4.3 with about 130 hp and a gazillion pound glass tranny in a 740.

wouldn't it be easier to send both vehicles to the junk yard and then buy a running 740 for like 1000 dollars.

why do you think the 740 motor is on its last leg blown headgasket or ran with no oil for a long time? why not fix it right instead of putting a downgraded motor in and all the associated fab work and time. Im all for chevy swaps in volvo's as long as its an lsX or at least a late model fuel injected motor.

I see the internet lore experts here have spoken. The Nv3500 is a very good trans and stronger than most people say. They are FAR better than any piece of crap T5 and the T-bricks community seems to put the T5 on a golden pedestal. These transmissions came in full size trucks that weigh twice as much as your 740 with twice the torque. I have one behind a healthy 480hp 383 in my s10 and thrash on it regularly, although sticky tires might kill it. Yes the first gear is a bit steep and is for towing mostly. The 96 and later trans had a taller first that was more car friendly. The shifter may be a little far forward for any volvo, you would need to find a 98-02 s10 trans with the shifter moved 6" back.

Im not even a big fan of domestic or jdm swaps into volvos but I say try it, better than letting the car rot away.

close gear ratios for a truck 5spd...

actually a getrag internally.

integrated bell housing makes it tough to use in anything other than GM engines.

Thats a terrible transmission for a car (hell, it wasn't a very good transmission in a truck either), but if you must....

Back