• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

945T shocks and springs

I have a 1994 945T with stock springs up front and IPD overloads in the rear, Bilstein HDs front and back. What I am hoping to find is a smoother more compliant ride as I find the current setup downright truck like - too stiff!

I had a 1989 745T with Bilstein HDs along with cut stock springs which seemed to ride better - from what I nave read Konis are the way to go, but unsure which ones and with which springs - Eibach, H&R or B & G - IPD's version would lower the car more than I would like and not certain about the rake either, the front being lower, using Hydras - just installed a new set of tires so they might be staying.

Anyone have any experience as well as suggestions? I have heard many positive comments regarding using Koni adjustable shocks and that Eibachs will lower the car the least amount and seem to work well.

I have to say that the way the car is currently I actually grow quite tired of driving it unless the road is more or less smooth, buckboard comes to mind in describing the ride!

Planning on installing aluminum control arms along with Super Pro poly bushings, the car already has IPD 25mm sway bars, lower brace and Cherry Turbo upper brace.

Last edited:
I have a 1994 945T with stock springs up front with IPD overloads in the rear, Bilstein HDs front and back. What I am hoping to find is a smoother more compliant ride as I find the current setup downright truck like - too stiff!

I had a 1989 745T with Bilstein HDs along with cut stock springs which seemed to ride better - from what I nave read Konis are the way to go, but unsure which ones and with which springs - Eibach, H&R or B & G - IPD's version would lower the car more than I would like,as I would prefer no more than 1" as I am using Hydras - just installed a new set of tires so they will be staying.

Anyone have any experience as well as suggestions? I have heard many positive comments regarding using Koni adjustable shocks and that Eibachs will lower the car the least amount and seem to work well.

I have to say that the way the car is currently I actually grow quite tired of driving it unless the road is more or less smooth, buckboard comes to mind in describing the ride!

Planning on installing aluminum control arms along with Super Pro poly bushings, the car already has IPD 25mm sway bars, lower brace and Cherry Turbo upper brace.

Yep, 240 guys complain about HDs being too soft and 7/9 guys complain about HDs being too stiff. I agree, I had HDs on my old 744t and really didn't like the ride. I have Koni Sports at the softest setting on my current 945t and it's a much better compromise than the HDs. Prior to that I had fresh OE/OEM turbo gas shocks and combined with the progressive TME springs, I'd say they're pretty good for a smooth riding daily.

Just FYI, I'm putting the Turbo gas shocks up for sale soon, less than 10k miles on them.

I'll have B&G's along with my Koni Sports all around in my 9 sedan.... but no ride impressions for months, as I'm getting old and this is a "part time" project. Sold my IPD sports.... too damn stiff for my old keister. Hoping the B&Gs ride as well as legions of internet bench racers claim they do....... on various Euro platforms.

DET17 - thank you for your insight, I should mention getting older as well and although having the car handle better certainly do not need my kidneys shaken! Actually looking at those Eiker Classic wheels ( 17" ) so would be using 225/45/17 in place of the current 205/55/16 so that would introduce some further stiffness to the ride. Trying to find out which springs and shock combination work best together is proving a bit difficult. I concur the IPD springs lower the car more than I want and are a bit too stiff.

Don't forget, the overloads have a lot to do with the ride quality. Its quite noticeable from the factory rear springs, especially unloaded.

The original springs were getting rather soft and sagging so when the overload ones were offered for sale locally simply decided to try them, no doubt they are passable with enough weight in the car but that rarely if ever happens so yes, the ride is most definitely on the stiff side to put it mildly.

Found out Eibachs are not available in rwd version - one less decision.

Last edited:
Check with Soclosenotnear...... he just purchased a set of B&G progressives for his wagon. He may have them installed by now.

Back