• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Late 122 blower fan

spock345

I opened my heater box today to repair the motor and found the fan was broken beyond repair. I was able to fix the motor with some cleaning through.

Has anyone had any luck fitting a generic aftermarket blower fan to the motor and have it work? If so what part did you use?

If you need the plastic fan blade used on the later 122/1800 blower motors a reproduction is available.

I recently ordered 1 and sold it to 1 our customers.

If you need the plastic fan blade used on the later 122/1800 blower motors a reproduction is available.

Looked at Skandix on a hunch and found it. I am guessing that is what you were talking about?

I am glad the part isn't unobtanium. Where I live a functional defrost is essential.

Yes, that's the 1.

We buy from Skandix, but as 2turbotoys can attest, shipping is expensive.

IIRC, Skandix's minimum shipping charge is 55 euros.

Just looked at the shipping cost, 125 euros. Do you know of any other places to get the part that won't charge that much for shipping a $45 part?

Last edited:
Found a $12 generic plastic fan that may work. I will report back if it does. If it doesn't I guess I will be biting the bullet with Skandix's prices. Might as well put together a big order then.

So the crappy plastic fan with the old motor was unbearably loud.

As an alternative I figured out this.

Generic Four Seasons 35593 motor and some blower fan designed for a bathroom.

mGCNhS3l.jpg

Works perfectly and bolts up. Just had to widen the mounting holes about a sixteenth of an inch.

Last edited:
Also check VP autoparts for vintage parts.

I have been using them for most things. I considered fitting the earlier version blower motor and fan but I didn't want to bother shelling out $100 for something that may send me on more part hunts to actually bolt the thing up.

The whole experience is rather refreshing coming from HVAC repairs on a 240.

Now if only my heater valve wasn't stuck open. Heat is the last thing I want right now.

Regarding the valve I have noticed that VP carries two options, the stock valve with the capillary tube and a generic valve without the tube and a blanking plate. Is there any reason to go with the simpler valve versus the capillary one? Is the stock valve that prone to failure or is it a bandaid fix to avoid taking everything apart?

Hello,

We prefer to use the original style of heater valves.

New ones are available from China and we have been selling and installing them. So far we are satisfied with the fit and operation of these heater valves, but we did have to return 2 defective units. Fortunately the defects were discovered before they were sold or installed.

Can you supply a part number or other identifying information on the fan blade you used with the 4 Seasons blower motor?

FYI, my offer to supply tips to rebuilding your heater box still stands.

So the crappy plastic fan with the old motor was unbearably loud.

As an alternative I figured out this.

Generic Four Seasons 35593 motor and some blower fan designed for a bathroom.

pQzk0drm.jpg

Works perfectly and bolts up. Just had to widen the mounting holes about a sixteenth of an inch.

Picture is not working - any more info on that bathroom blower?

Just curious because I am going to start tackling the heater box and rest of the interior on my ES soon.

Picture is not working - any more info on that bathroom blower?

Just curious because I am going to start tackling the heater box and rest of the interior on my ES soon.

Fixed the image.

I just got a generic fan online. Most seem to be designed for bathroom fans. I think mine is for a Nutone unit. There are a couple designed for American classic cars that should also fit. It is slightly smaller than the stock one (4" vs ~4.5-5").

The motor has a 5/16" D shaft and is a bit shorter than the stock motor. I had to drill out the bore of the fan a little to get it to fit (originally 7/32"). It is still somewhat loud at full speed so I will probably move to a better balanced option that fits the shaft without drilling. It works for now.

Since your car is an 1800es it should have the later fan. I was actually considering converting to the earlier setup as VP autoparts carries new motors and fans for that one.

Back