• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Converse engineering v8 kits?

alewis92

Anybody had any experience with them?

Good, bad?

Their website is down so i cant really check them out, but i know they make a swap kit for a 302 into a 740, so im pretty interested.

Any input is appreciated!

thanks
andy

I bought a car that had a Converse kit. It seems like a pretty clean install. And I've contacted Ross for a replacement clutch cable and he's one of the nicest car-guys I've every met (over the phone).

As far as actually doing the swap, which I didn't do (obviously), it looks like all you need to do is meticulously follow the directions and take your time.

For myself, having a product support background and having to evaluate publications etc., the directions are well written, methodical and detailed. The only thing I can fault them, is that the pictures aren't the greatest, but they're still usable and get the point across.

I have been trying to access the Converse site for a while now without any luck, not sure whats going on. I'm also considering the swap for a 780 .

Hmm, does anybody else offer a kit for a 302 swap? What is the price range on those? I know jagsthatrun has one for a chevy smallblock, but i want the engine as close to the firewall as possable so the weight is right and someday i can fit a bigol turbo in front of the water pump :p

their kit is great, i have one on my car, i'm selling it now but the converse stuff is good quality and complete. i am not sure if they are still in business though.

I may have a Converse car, but no paperwork.

Are the included documentation good for anything - as an owner?

Does anybody have an extra copy? I guess I could call Ross and see what he charges.

Is there a specific thing to look for to see if it is a Converse car?

I took a look at a converse 760 today, the engine mount adapter plates were very, very simple. The stock mustang mounts were used (or so the owner claims), they had a single stud protruding into what would be the frame of the car but because the volvo frame does not rise up to meet the mount a ~1/4" mild steel plate was heated and bent up at an obtuse angle (kinda like a v with one very long side that mounts to the Volvo frame) and the mount was attached to it. Simple but affective, he has a supercharged 302 with aluminum heads, cam, ect and the mounts have never been a concern.

When I bought my Converse kit for my 740 3 years ago, it was a smooth $1000. The best part of the kit imho, are the photos. Second place goes to the instructions...the parts? Meh, they're a good place to start. Last I knew, JTR didn't make a kit...just a book. Converse is still in business; he's just having issues with his site provider.

I bought one of his kits along time ago so it sounds like the instructions have been improved from what I have while the pictures have stayed pretty much the same. Dropping in the engine was really easy. It takes a specific Ford engine mount which I can't remember off the top of my head. What I really liked about the kit was the adapter to go from the 5.0 to the Volvo wiring harness. Very plug and play. My kit was the first one he sold for a T5 conversion so it sounds like there have been some upgrades since I had to make my own cable. When I spoke to him on the phone he was very helpful. I would buy from him again.

The Converse kit is nice, installed one about 9 years ago for a customer. He wanted a STOCK 5.0 w/AOD in his 245. It had more power and was a nice DD, but a waste of money for the improvement. The car was otherwise totally stock, not even sway bars improved.

The Converse kit is nice, installed one about 9 years ago for a customer. He wanted a STOCK 5.0 w/AOD in his 245. It had more power and was a nice DD, but a waste of money for the improvement. The car was otherwise totally stock, not even sway bars improved.

yup, i would have most likely make suspension and brakes a priority before stuffing power like that to the front of a 240.

As for the kit...i'll believe it when I see it. really! Nobody has a picture of their sweet Ford V8 kit...unbelievable!

Back