• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 swap clutch help needed...

NateDeville

I finally locked my M47 up after a year or more of spirited driving at 10 psi...
I'm actually quite happy, as I have a T5 sitting in my front yard that's been begging to be abused.

I have Dale's kit on the way and I am trying to figure out what to do about the clutch.

I plan to run this thing around 14 psi with the 15G and I am concerned about clutch slippage which is already a problem at 10 psi on a replacement (non turbo) stock clutch.

The car is an '87 245 with a '94 b230ft from a 940. The trans was the original '87 M47 and I believe the current flywheel is a 9". The trans I have is an '84 Mustang 5.0 non W/C, with a 10 spline input shaft.

~Does anyone know if the 9-1/16" Mustang 4cyl disc will work and is the stock turbo pressure plate strong enough to hold my very hopeful goal of 225-250hp.
~What about the Diesel pressure plate that has been mentioned in other threads? Is it 9" also?
~What is a good source to get the clutch parts within a couple days (out here in California)?

Thanks for your help,
Nate

The clutchnet 4 or 6 puck Mustang T5 disc will hold fine with the stock Volvo turbo pressure plate.Especially in a lighter car like a 240. They have upgraded pressure plates, but they are stupid expensive. Clutchnet is in CA, www.clutchnet.com

For my swap I'm running the 850 glt clutch from clutchnet, with the t5 center pressed in. I haven't turboed my car yet, but it seems plenty grippy. The clutch does seem to chatter a lot on launch however (could be bad engine mount though). Also the service from clutchnet sucks, took about 2 months before I had the proper clutch in hand, and they still owe me money...
I heard there's a stock 9" clutch off a taurus (svt or something) that you can use. I never found anything conclusive about that, but if I ever did I would probably swap to that. I assume it would be a smoother clutch..

I ordered a disc from clutchnet yesterday. I talked to George and he seemed helpful. I decided to go with a 6 puck sprung disk... I hope it was a good choice. He thought it would be a good pick based on my set up. I was told that it was in stock and it would ship out today. I'll let you know when I see it.

So friday came and no clutch showed up so I called Clutchnet and gave them a polite WTF?!?
I got a story about them not shipping it because ...it looked like the heat treating... last disk... blah blah blah...

Basically they just didn't ship it.

So I paid the $60 to get it shipped overnight and I did get it the next day...
I now have my T5 in the car and I have been driving it since last night.

The clutch does grab a lot more which is good in some ways as the last one started slipping at 10psi in third gear. On the other hand it really makes the lack of power off idle WAY more noticeable and there is a bit of chatter when trying to feather the clutch. One thing I didn't expect was the drastic change in gear ratios. It is such a difference that I think I may have to change the rear end gears to make it a bit more drivable. Now I'm cruising at 2,000 rpm at 70mph, but even more noticeable is the difference in first, where the car used to really launch, but now takes a lot of throttle and a bit of clutch slippage to really get moving.

I'm glad to have the stronger trans in, but I realize that now I have more to do to make everything else work together.

Keep in mind that the ceramic clutches will change a lot as they break in. There is quite a bit of discussion on this in past threads. Go real easy on it for a while as it won't hold well right away and you don't want to damage it. On mine it barely gripped at all when I first put it in, then after 100-200 miles it started grabbing hard and suddenly.(chatter, etc) After around 400-500 miles the engagement smoothed out but still held great. Overall it is a great clutch... but during the phase where it was super grabby I was getting worried it was going to be terrible. Ceramic clutches get grabbier as they get hot so extended clutch feathering will make it start chattering, but otherwise mine is very driveable.

James

did you resurface the flywheel??? did you put in a new pressure plate.

if you find that clutch too much for you or annoying, you might want to try a ford turbo coupe (1989is) clutch. its a thunderbird 4 cyl turbo. they use the same size clutch as a volvo. use that and a turbo pressure plate. that is if your running the 9 inch disc.

I've got a 9" Red Clutchnet PP and a 9" T5 centered Kevlar disc with spring hub, also from Clutchnet. nice light pedal action, very smooth and soft engagement, was holding without slipping under hard shifts at 270-280-ish hp (13.8 in a full porky weight loaded late model 245).

yes the flywheel is freshly surfaced, and yes it is a brand new (sachs) pressure plate. I should probably go easier on it for a bit to try to break it in, but as you would expect I was excited to finally have a clutch that would hold so I've been abusing it a bit, no slippage though... I will go easier on it and see how it breaks in.

Thanks for the input!

Back