• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

If I have a 83 GLT with a bad motor, can I swap in ...

mikezohsix

I just bought a 83 242 with a bad motor and want to use an early 740 230FT that we already have. Can I swap the intake manifold and use the existing fuel injection, same question on the exhaust side if it's different.

I know I'll have to move the distributor, flywheel, maybe accessories, etc., but I have all the parts for that from the original car.

Maybe another way to ask the question is, can I swap everything necessary from one motor to the other to use the motor we have, or are the differences in bosses, intake or exhaust ports on the head, or something that is going to make this not practical?

That said...no, you can not just swap manifolds and run that B230FT in your '83...

You've got K-Jet, which has some special sensors, and threaded holes for those sensors, which a B230FT WILL NOT have...

Best to swap that in, and run the LH2.2 that came in that 740, or find another B21FT

Exhaust side will interchange, yes.

I have no idea why people are saying that swapping an entire wiring harness, ECU/ICU, and engine is easier than replacing a motor with a swapped head?!
It can be done, but it does require work, but a lot less work than converting to LH. All the sensors that k-jet needs to run, can easily be swapped onto a b23 block (I don't think there are actually any block mounted sensors.... pretty sure they're all in the head). The blocks are nearly identical so brackets bolt up. This will give you a mild boost in performance as you increase displacement.

Things to do:
1)Check over the wiring harness. These degrade and get eaten by mice and other small critters.
2) Swap heads. Most of the sensors for k-jet are in the cylinder head. The injector bungs are also in the head, so you will need those for k-jet. Use the b23 head gasket as the bore is larger now.
3) Swap intermediate shafts. The b21 uses a block mounted distributor, so you need to turn that. Also a good time to replace timing belt, seals, and water pump
4) Bolt everything on and start her up.

Or you can go LH. But that costs money. The above can be done for about $150 for all gaskets, seals, and probably a new clutch.

I'd swap the entire engine and harness out of the 740 and go with LH. At the end of the day I think the amount of work is a flat trade and you end up with a much better engine management system.

I'd swap the entire engine and harness out of the 740 and go with LH. At the end of the day I think the amount of work is a flat trade and you end up with a much better engine management system.

I wouldnt use the 740 harness...its a total pain in the ass to separate the engine and chassis **** in those harnesses. Find a 2.2 240 to yank the engine harness out of and then pillage the EZK wiring out of a 740 harness.

GREAT, sigh...
So, I take the 2.1 head with the exhaust and intake and put it on the 2.3 block with a 2.3 head gasket, or swap the whole motor in, get a 2.4 wiring harness, which my son has, with 2.4 brains. But also need a 2.4 or 3.1 flywheel for the crank position.

Can I use the common dog dish 2.4 flywheel with my bell housing, fork, etc, or will something in there need to be changed too?

Really a dilemma because the car is so nice and original, do I keep it original, or 2.4 it. I'll drive this for a while but it will be for sale in the spring probably...

I know the TB folks would generally take the LH over original - any thoughts about the rest of the world looking for originality in these cars - yes, I know it's not a numbers matching 63 split window corvette?

Stick with k-jet. This swap will take a weekend at best. Going lh takes a lot more work than others lead on about.
I've done both. K jet is easier and will make you a bit more power, and a lot more with some work.
Also, most if the k-jet haters usually don't understand it. I grew up with VW and CIS. This is one of the simplest fuel injection systems ever made. It also can make stupid power.

original, as in crunchy wiring harness original? IMO if it has updated harness keep it K-Jet, if not go LH.

2.2 would use a different distributor, 2.4 going to need the flywheel/flex plate surgery. EZK ignition swap will be along for the ride, also?!?

How bad is the motor?
Holes in the block bad, or just ready for it's first over bore?
Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Just rebuild it right and be good for another 30 years.

How bad is the motor?
Holes in the block bad, or just ready for it's first over bore?
Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Just rebuild it right and be good for another 30 years.

I haven't gone underneath to look, but the mechanics report from the previous owner said there was a "bulge in the block".

:nod:

Buy Jack's 150K B21FT shortblock.

Before you whinge about shipping remember it's less that a good set of gaskets.

Who's Jack?

I haven't gone underneath to look, but the mechanics report from the previous owner said there was a "bulge in the block".

Who's Jack?

I rarely trust mechanics anymore when it comes to old volvos, especially po's mechanics.
Maybe a second opinion or compression test is in order just to verify things before going through the trouble of a R&R.

I'd keep it stock-ish. Rebuild or replace with known good b21ft.
How's the engine side wiring harness holding up?
Especially at the firewall and under the 'nose' of the motor..

Beautiful car by the way. Lovely color, nice shape!

All the sensors that k-jet needs to run, can easily be swapped onto a b23 block (I don't think there are actually any block mounted sensors.... pretty sure they're all in the head). The blocks are nearly identical so brackets bolt up. This will give you a mild boost in performance as you increase displacement.

I've got a complete B23 N/A motor....at least I think it's a B23 and not a B21....came out of an 83 242 parts car a couple of years ago. Sitting on an engine stand in my barn. It turns freely but other than that I can't speak to it's condition; car sat for years under the trees in Maine.

Complete motor to include FI dizzy and everything else. I'm not too far from you, am frequently out in the Hadley/Amherst/NoHo area, have a pickup truck, and would be happy to recover the space it's taking up. PM me if interested.

iframe>

And congratulations again on the car; I can't believe you got it at that price!!

Back