• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Whiteblock in a 240 - All you need to know

Excellent write-up! After reading this and staring at my pile of 16v parts it would seem that a 5cyl. swap into my 142 would be just as much work (if not less) than a b230FT 16v.

So when people are swapping these what sorta engine angles are people getting? any reason one couldnt fab all the mounts and just mount it vertical?

I'm also wondering about this. Seems like a slanted engine with a stock B52x4T turbo and manifold would have clearance issues.
Found this on Google:
http://www.volvogallery.org.uk/showphoto.php?photo=2061

I haven't seen a 960 pan, but if mounted on a vertical engine would the 11 degrees hurt anything? Or would we be better off notching the FWD pan?

no turbo clearance issues with the slanted engine as far as i've found.

that said, the upright engine might be really cool, i don't know if you'd have any problems with the oil pan angle, some had said it would be a problem earlier, but since i've found that others have said it would not likely be an issue -

with the upright engine though you will however have a clearance problem with the edge of the pan that is lowest (since it'll now be at an angle with the ground), and with the intake manifold, my intake barely fits ... and the bottom of my pan is ~3/4 of an inch lower than the front x-member so with the upright motor that would be lower on the driver's side of the pan's reservoir (unless you modified the pan).

could you snap some pictures of your engine? I would love to see pictures of engine to body clearance on each side and possibly even some oil pan shots from both sides would be awesome.

I think a 5 cylinder swap is my plan. Does anyone know how much longer the 6 is vs the 5?

could you snap some pictures of your engine? I would love to see pictures of engine to body clearance on each side and possibly even some oil pan shots from both sides would be awesome.

I think a 5 cylinder swap is my plan. Does anyone know how much longer the 6 is vs the 5?

the length changes in the i6 motors, depending on whether you use the t6 head and accessories, since the whole lot of it was skinnied-up, check the t6/b6304 hybrid thread for info if you are interested, chris mentions it and i think he has measurements maybe?

i ended up having to shim out my accessory belt crank pulley by 1/4" to match up with the position of my 960 alternator (on the t6 motor). anyhow, it's longer than the t5 to within the 81-88 mm ballpark, so not very much longer.

as far as photos go i will get to it ... soon, maybe on the weekend.

Anyone know the dimensions of the 960 radiator?
Just would like to know if you can use the 960 series radiator hoses connecting to the original 240 radiator?
Cheers
Andy

here are a few photos from the day when i first installed the motor/trans in july or august - i forget when exactly, they don't show you all that much but it'll give you the idea, although if you scroll down you'll find there are a few of the mock-up block with some points of reference that might give you an idea of what kind of room there is.
i have since modified the water transfer tube to work properly as well as completing most of the rest of the project (still - unfortunately - a couple of minor items remain but it's nearer than further).

02880026.jpg

02880025.jpg

02880024.jpg

02880023.jpg

02880022.jpg

02880020.jpg

crossmember modification for rx7 trans mount:

04230002.jpg

04230001.jpg

mock-up with original twin turbo placement concept:

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

fronthousing.jpg

rearhousing.jpg

and lastly - some unsolicited engine assembly photos, just because i think it's a pretty neat-o motor :)

02880004.jpg

02880002.jpg

02880008.jpg

02880009.jpg

02880013.jpg

02880012.jpg

you can see the plate between the trans and bellhousing if you look close.
nothing is available now that i know of, but others should speak up if that has changed, i bought this one from travis, he may or may not have time to make more though ... the guy's gotta work too so i don't know what kind of time he's putting into these adapters.

right now i think the easiest/most-foolproof solutions are getrag w/ klracing adapter or m90, but others may disagree.

the buchka dudes have designed something for their projects that i look forward to seeing soon too, so who knows what will be available in the coming year.

i used essentially stock mounts - pretty much identically to those used on dabutcher's car. jw240 (i think) is the original dude doing it that way, unless there are others over there that did it first.
i actually wanted to buy a set of the rsport 240 poly mounts ... finally did, edit - no more hockey pucks soon enough.

but i need to get some current photos, so much has been completed since these ones in truth it is not far from stock in appearance.

although i'm not sure there is enough room in there to place the t6 anywhere but where it is without modifying the 960 oil pan, since that front suspension crossmember is so far back, so i'm not sure how travis got the rx7 transmission to work without cutting a hole in the floor for the shifter, but i had to move the shifter position back by ~9.5 inches and i had to open up the transmission tunnel (a lot) to make way for the thing, so i'd not recommend using that tranny to anyone, i just made the mistake of investing in a transmission based on the original recommendation so i figured i'd continue with it.

i never expected to have to do as much cutting and shaping though, the thing required a lot of coaxing all over the place, but that should be expected unless someone uses one of the volvo transmissions.

i think the most constructive thing for all of us would be to post what we have and try to get people to finish their ****, i have not yet seen any of the others driving, and they are likely ahead of me so lets all get our stuff done already, and no still photos, how about some running driving whiteblock swaps :) ok?

Last edited:
right now i think the easiest/most-foolproof solutions are getrag w/ klracing adapter or m90, but others may disagree.
I still think its easiest to start with the slushbox AW30-40 with a controll box
the things cost nearly nothing (I've got 4 now for a total cost of $190)
the trans bolts up to the shifter perfectly using the AW70 rods
the trans mount requires a minimal amount of modification to use the 960 mount
and as poi has proven it can hold some power

Back