• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage 140 Clutch Issue

Billiam500

Hey guys!
So while driving my 140 I started noticing more and more play in the clutch pedal; up until there was nothing on the first half of the pedal stroke. At that point putting the car in gear from neutral at a stop was impossible, and shifting on the move required rev matching. I figured the clutch cable was stretched and on the verge of breaking, so I replaced it. The new cable needed to be set at the end of it's adjustment in order to achieve the proper play of about 1 inch at the top. It drove fine for about 2 miles before the same thing started happening- more and more play in the pedal until it was almost undrivable. So I jacked the car up, checked everything, and didn't find anything wrong. I made a spacer to put on the end of the cable, which solved the issue for about 15 or 20 pushes of the pedal, and I'm back to square one. do the cable keep stretching out? or is it a different issue?
Thanks!

You don't mention what year your car is. The earlier ones had a problem with the clutch fork breaking, causing exactly the symptoms you describe. You may be able to look into the bell housing and see if that is the case. It would be surprising if an old style fork was still in there, but it is worth checking. The fork was superseded by a reinforced one.

It's a '71. I suspected a bending fork but I didn't notice any bends in it. Didn't check the inside though.

Well, I guess that's good to hear, though it would be nice if you didn't have to yank your tranny. If you are looking for the cheapest replacement, I think a 240 fork may be usable. Maybe someone can confirm that. A used one would be fine, as the reinforced ones last indefinitely.

Back