• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Waited too long for Ben's QSRCs to be ready...

How in the world does that happen twice? The Rally guys don’t even have ball joint failures.

The first time it happened turning left. Next day it happened turning right.

I guess we turn and stop fairly hard, and we do it a lot, plus a fair bit of kerb-hopping? ABS + Delrin bushings probably combine to add a lot of shock loading.

It amazing how consistently they failed. Id suggest avoiding Meyle balls joints and stick to lemforder.

Next batch of QSRC should drop tomorrow FYI

How in the world does that happen twice? The Rally guys don?t even have ball joint failures.

Seriously this. Never experienced a front ball joint failure, except that one time the strut broke off the car.

I replace the lower ball joints when there's play, which is probably what's kept this from becoming an issue.

The first time it happened turning left. Next day it happened turning right.

I guess we turn and stop fairly hard, and we do it a lot, plus a fair bit of kerb-hopping? ABS + Delrin bushings probably combine to add a lot of shock loading.

I'd love to run the numbers the braking, turns, and curb smashes that happen per lap, and then how many laps to failure. I bet it's pretty darn high.

I replace the lower ball joints when there's play, which is probably what's kept this from becoming an issue.

There's no play in these, they're still tight.

I'd love to run the numbers the braking, turns, and curb smashes that happen per lap, and then how many laps to failure. I bet it's pretty darn high.

Obviously different tracks have different ratios, but some ballpark numbers:

~14 track hours per race
~2 minutes between kerb hits (VERY approximate)
~10s between corners at our usual tracks
~6 races per year
~2 years since these were installed

So on the order of a thousand kerb hits across ~170 hours on track, and ~10,000 stop/turn events.

Here's a lap from Sonoma a few minutes after the second balljoint replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nq1CgnYdnc

Brandon is perhaps more kerb-hungry than other drivers on the team...

Last edited:
How much camber do you run?

Last time I measured it was a bit over 3?. We aren't super scientific on our setup; tire wear suggests we could probably use a bit more on the working side, but that would require longer control arm extensions, and we are lazy...

Last time I measured it was a bit over 3?. We aren't super scientific on our setup; tire wear suggests we could probably use a bit more on the working side, but that would require longer control arm extensions, and we are lazy...

That should be fine unless something goes into full bind and the weak link will break, have fun!

Back