• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Adding strut brace to 77 242

justinlschofield

I would like to fabricate some strut to firewall braces, but sadly my car didn't come with firewall mounts, my idea was to drill 2 holes at the proper location, hole saw, maybe 1" for theoretical purposes, create a 1/8" square plate, weld a nut to it with a hole for the bolt, weld to firewall with nut on the inside, presto, done, anyone else do the same? Or have a better idea?

Making the braces them self will be simple

Rivnuts is what you seek, I don't know the trade name of these (nutsert?), but they will work. The largest that I have used is m8 1.25. Here is what they look like.

This is a M6 1.0 installed in a cross member:

Rivnuts is what you seek, I don't know the trade name of these (nutsert?), but they will work. The largest that I have used is m8 1.25. Here is what they look like.

This is a M6 1.0 installed in a cross member:

So it acts like a rivet, but ends up as a threaded hole? Sounds cool but how's the strength on these? Read complaints about the stock nuts already, breaking off etc.

Yea that was my idea, I have some old stock braces I can use for proper spacing, I see people mentioning to lift the car, is this to remove and load on the strut towers etc l. Should I do the same? Or should it be fine on the ground

Back