• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Washed engine like idiot!

Volvo69

1984 Volvo 244 turbo with k-jet. Washed the car and sprayed engine. Crank no start. Cleaned out dizzy and wires. It's got spark I actuated the fuel pump with jumper wire and wouldn't run. Running out of ideas any thoughts?:wtf:

you probably washed all the insulation off the engine harness and now it's all touching. make sure the wiring is okay. that stuff is scary when it falls apart to the touch, water spray on it would be terrifying if you still have the original harness. since it is k-jet, there's less wiring to check or mess up but it can still happen.

yeah, try to drain the water from the wire bundles, let it sit and dry out :e-shrug:

if it is the wires, you should prolly splice in new wire for the corroded sections, it's a breakdown on the road waiting to happen imo

Use a hair dryer to dry off the dizzy itself,with the cap removed. Remove the plug wires from dizzy and dry out each of the 5 tower's holes. As well s the coil's

You might want to consider replacing the MEWH soon if the above things do not help.

Let the engine dry out. I have had it happen that after washing the engine my car would start but ran like $hit for a little while. Eventually with enough engine heat it came back to life. In your case that won't happen because the car won't start but time should help. Definitely look at plug wires, cap and rotor, other wires.

If everything is working properly, there should be nothing wrong with power washing your engine. I do it once a week. If you have an existing electrical problem, washing will exacerbate said problem. Look under the crank pulley and see how the wires running under there look.

Well I did clean dizzy and plugs and wires. Sparks good. Fuels getting pumped through the filter in engine bay when keys on. Cranks but won't start. Sprayed fuel in intake and started but died. Now I don't think k-jets pumping fuel or is there an injection pump into k-jet? Idk wtf happened. Ran great before now just won't start. :grrr:

you have narrowed the issue to a fuel delivery problem

if you jump the fuses for the pumps you should be able to hear both pumps run, one under the car the other in the tank.

you can verify fuel delivered beyond filter the same way

Well I jump the pump relay and it works. But wouldn't start. Any other ideas. Maybe cam sensor? It just seems that there's fuel being pumped passed the filter but not to the engine. Is there another fuse I can check. I found fuel pump relay and service relay. Idk how to jump the service relay though.

your car should be using breakerless ignition connected to the distributor, and we know that works because your car ran with the starting fluid

ok try this next.

key in ign, KP2

loosen big hose clamp on top of the fuel distributor, lift the rubber 'cobra' off it.

lift the fuel door up slowly, do you hear the pumps come on, and a whine? if not, jump pumps, try again. http://youtu.be/X7gv68kzi4o and other k-jet videos there too. you can also pull the 4 injectors as a group, holders and all, and look at your spray pattern.

this would eliminate the fuel delivery system other than electrical, if your car has original wiring harness it would be the prime suspect like others above have stated

Ok. But would it run if that secondary pump under the car isn't? I'm I can turn it on and off with a jumper wire. But idk if it's the one in the tank. So I know one of the pumps work. Now is there a solenoid or relay for the kjet system to operate? Or am I just running in circles. I wanna say it's getting fuel cause it was pouring out of the filter when I actuated the pump. But it doesn't seem like it's being distributed to the cylinders.

Ya. I have the fuel pump relay and the service relay right under the steering colum. I jumped the fuel relay and it works but won't start the car. But what about the service relay? Or is there any other relay I should try? Any ideas?

I just did kjet test with key on. Nothing. No whine or disperse of fuel. Now my intank pump actuates and works. My external one I haven't figured a way to turn it on. Do they run on the same relay? I'm going in circles.

Could have been some freak coincidence.

The fuel pump on my 82' failed last week and bumping it sprung it back to life for long enough to get it home.

Back