• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SquareD's slow and steady 945 tarbo project

Not to mention, one of the lowest to the ground.... I'd pretty much fall into it, rather than sit in it.

Yeah the top of the 550's windshield is basically at the cowl of my wagon. :omg: And then there's the massive greenhouse my car has. Thanks again Jans.:-P

Love what you've done here. Nice car!

Thanks!

In other news my Yoshifab flywheel and clutch package shipped and should be here tuesday.

20gx39.gif

With the current kid situation, I'm not going to bother trying to get it in before VCOA Nationals mid september. Might as well take my time and do it over the winter and enjoy driving the car as it is the rest of the season. There are always little things to sort out in the meantime.

Spent last weekend at the VCOA Nationals at Road America. Too much awesomeness, not enough time to take it all in. Placed 3rd in one of the many jacked up classes.

RA_945.jpg

RA_945_2.jpg

Looks great.

RE: the jacked up classes. Somehow my folks' 240 wagon ended up in the same class as the XC90s/XC70x/etc. My mom was all pissed. I told her, "listen, this is going to work to your advantage...those cars are boring. You have a sooper-clean RED 240..not a maroon one, on Eikers. People are going to **** themselves."

She didn't believe me. She won the class.

Dude, that was your parents? Haha, they were awesome and that wagon is so nice; I voted for it. To me the class organization was proof that the Volvo Illuminati, aka 1800 owners, really don't give a crap about anything after 1975. :lol:

My dad talked to your parents quite a bit, so did I. Your mom said she was disappointed that my wagon didn't win the class, she loved it. I assume you weren't there? WTH Ben? Were you the son that delivered pizzas in a t-boned 244 for a year?

How did you flush the intercooler? I was going to do it on my 94 940T but the center outlet intercooler looks like it would be a PITA to pull. your car is impressive!

Recently flushed out the intercooler and also installed some poly, outer stay rod bushings and iPd braided stainless brake lines on the front. Front end and the brakes both seem a touch better. It seems to have developed a warm start issue the past couple weeks, I'll have to look into that.

Couple snaps from cars and coffee this morning. Of course I had to park next to one of the smallest and roundest cars there. lol

IMG_20160820_140244.jpg

IMG_20160820_110841.jpg

Looks great.

RE: the jacked up classes. Somehow my folks' 240 wagon ended up in the same class as the XC90s/XC70x/etc. My mom was all pissed. I told her, "listen, this is going to work to your advantage...those cars are boring. You have a sooper-clean RED 240..not a maroon one, on Eikers. People are going to **** themselves."

She didn't believe me. She won the class.

Oh, man...your mom is a hoot to hang out with. She was super excited when she won the class:

DSCF1586_zpsgvgf11y5.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the VCOA National Champ of the Modified RWD 4 Door Sedan category, the same that Dustin competed in:

DSCF1561_zpscsu3xgge.jpg

How did you flush the intercooler? I was going to do it on my 94 940T but the center outlet intercooler looks like it would be a PITA to pull. your car is impressive!

Thanks! Pull the rad support, hoses and the plastic around the inlet and outlet, push the rad back towards the firewall and carefully shimmy the IC up and out. The biggest issue is that the hard lines for the transmission cooler don't allow you to push the rad back much, but just be careful and take your time. Remember, your rad has plastic end tanks, don't push hard.

Last edited:
Dude, that was your parents? Haha, they were awesome and that wagon is so nice; I voted for it. To me the class organization was proof that the Volvo Illuminati, aka 1800 owners, really don't give a crap about anything after 1975. :lol:

My dad talked to your parents quite a bit, so did I. Your mom said she was disappointed that my wagon didn't win the class, she loved it. I assume you weren't there? WTH Ben? Were you the son that delivered pizzas in a t-boned 244 for a year?

LOL, no. That was my brother. That car has served us well. It basically no longer has a front end, gas tank, AC, exhaust, engine, cooling system. The interior is still in decent shape too....they're saving the seats and stuff to put into a different car.

I was planning on going, but my 240 developed a no-start issue the Wednesday before, and I wasn't able to get it sorted until Saturday. Ended up being the crank sensor. Sad face emoji....

I was bummed I couldn't make it. I was really looking forward to just going and hanging out and seeing some peeps that I hadn't seen in a while.

Oh, man...your mom is a hoot to hang out with. She was super excited when she won the class:

DSCF1586_zpsgvgf11y5.jpg

Yeah, she was. She and dad worked pretty hard to clean up that wagon and their little C30.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the VCOA National Champ of the Modified RWD 4 Door Sedan category, the same that Dustin competed in:

DSCF1561_zpscsu3xgge.jpg

That thing is kind of rad. What was the extent of its modifications?

That thing is kind of rad. What was the extent of its modifications?

Stickers and a picnic basket. Don't get me wrong, Duetts are awesome; it's more of a commentary on the groupings. I mean, a volvo truck won the rwd modified sedan category and a 240 wagon won the V/XC category at a the national meet. Wut.

Stickers and a picnic basket. Don't get me wrong, Duetts are awesome; it's more of a commentary on the groupings. I mean, a volvo truck won the rwd modified sedan category and a 240 wagon won the V/XC category at a the national meet. Wut.

LOL....(licks thumb and checks wind direction and speed)...Yep, that oughta do it....

Wagon looks great, love the red one too!

Thanks.

Just when I was going to post a wanted ad for an Ostrich, Sir Psycho's car got parted. I've been messing with the LH side some. Got the basics down and smoothed the main fuel map some. It's definitely smoother, but is still a bit rich under WOT (low 11s) and I'm still dealing with that onset ping. I guess I'll get the fuel side tweaked satisfactorily and then see what's can be done with EZK. If anyone has some good pointers, maps or bins let me know.

I really need to get a rpm signal ran to my wideband so I can do some datalogging. I'm a total noob when it comes to tuning, so I'm enjoying getting my feet wet on this tuning stuff.

I also picked up a cheap (read: knock off) HKS SSQV 3; jury's still out on it. There are still some instances under an abrupt throttle close that it stumbles a bit; but tuning seems to have helped that some too.

Last edited:
Really impressed with this STS Machining cam gear. In addition to allowing me to tweak my cam timing, it'll definitely add some bling to the engine compartment.
20161102_181846.jpg

Cam gear's on:

35678832840_c2003bf0c8_b.jpg

Idle vid:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Kyt2yxPYGsU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Back