• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C Clunk

red_rocket

I have a 1997 S90. When I go over speed bumps, there is a clunk. I believe the clunk is coming from the right/front of the car, but don't know for sure. I've checked the tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, and control arm bushings. Everything looks ok. I also checked to make sure all the bolts/nuts are tight. They are. The struts and strut mounts were replaced a few years ago. Is there a way to check these? Are there any other components that I should check?

I checked the studs/nuts. I started to tighten the nut on one side and the stud broke (see photo below). I didn't think I put much torque on it (50 lb-ft?), but apparently that was enough. I don't know how well it shows up in the photo, but the inside of the stud looks like pot metal with an outer layer that looks like better metal. I still had the old end links, so replaced the part with one of the old ones.

IMG55961.jpg

I tightened the other side, but was a bit more cautious. I went for a test drive and think it is much better.

Back