• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AWD to FWD??

U

Unregistered2

can i remove the driveshaft in my 98 awd v70 and just run it fwd?...will i run into any problems, or can i just run fwd and forget about it. the drivetrain is making a suspect cliking noise steadily now anyways and i figure that fwd is better than expensive awd system repairs. plus i hear of maybe freeing up a few trapped ponies? any input helps...thanks

Sorry but that seems like a horrible idea. You want more ponies? More boost!!! AWD v70s are turbo right? I would think that it would show some kind of thrown code if you removed it, theres probably a few sensors back there.

power gain is not necessarily my primary motivation here. but the friction in an awd drive train alone......there's gotta be something there right?

yes you can remove it without any issues, yes its expensive to fix, yes you will free up some drive train loss and yes you should disclose this if you ever go to sell the vehicle ;-)

no ghetto there...

Surely it's better to fix it & sell it & get a (cheaper to buy) FWD model, than to ghetto it in this way?

it doesnt ghetto it, it just corrects it back to what it should have been to start with. that was a problematic, rough, and expensive to maintain and fix awd system, on the up to 98 800 series cars. the 01 and up stuff is much better. the best thing you can do to a 98 awd car is to remove the driveshaft, makes it much smoother, quiter, and more reliable. gheeto would be to piss away monies putting angle gears and seals, rear viscous couplings, driveshafts, etc, etc, etc. ghetto, was that awd system in general.;-)

basicly, exactly what i thought/wanted to hear! thanks. its a 98 V70R awd by the way. I love this wagon. i just don't want to have to spend tons of money that i dont' have, keeping it on the road.

basicly, exactly what i thought/wanted to hear! thanks. its a 98 V70R awd by the way. I love this wagon. i just don't want to have to spend tons of money that i dont' have, keeping it on the road.

check out the maintenance & nonperformance section, last week I think someone else asked something similar and I believe a Volvo mechanic replied and should be able to guide you thru it if you need more help....sounds like a very common "fix"....the 1st generation Porsche 911's that had AWD (964 based cars) had a similar issue except that it was the FWD portion that failed and cost way too much to repair, so people "convert" them back to RWD (which is proper for a 911 :-P )

can i remove the driveshaft in my 98 awd v70 and just run it fwd?...will i run into any problems, or can i just run fwd and forget about it. the drivetrain is making a suspect cliking noise steadily now anyways and i figure that fwd is better than expensive awd system repairs. plus i hear of maybe freeing up a few trapped ponies? any input helps...thanks

What is the clicking noise? CVs? Just replace the broken part and move on.

I ran my Lada Niva as a FWD for a week or so while I had the rear driveshaft balanced.

But it had a manual centre diff lock. It was dumb simple.

With an automagical torque splitting AWD system I'd be scared.

tim

Back