• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Turbo Spark plugs. Only one is sparking.

xallenx

So, my car won't turn over. I tested the coil wire and has good spark off the engine block. I then took out spark plug wire and stuck a nut driver in it. Good spark off engine block. But when I tested it with the spark plug inserted in the wire, I only get a spark at the shortest wire. The other plugs has no spark. So I thought mine were fouled so bought new ones and same result. Help please!!

From an electrical standpoint, wire length over such short spans shouldn't bear difference on the spark. Any wire should fire at any point if they are making contact at the cap. Did you get the right wires? Do they have resistors in them? Parts stores are clueless, usually.

DUH!!! I forgot to ground the plugs. All are sparking now but car still won't start. The plugs were wet and smelled like fuel but still won't turn over. I wonder if it's getting too much fuel. Checked FPR vac hose and it's dry. No sign of fuel. So thinking it's good. What do y'all think?

I once switched a coil wire with a spark plug wire on a Chevy 6 cylinder distributor cap as a prank. The guy got the engine to start, but it only ran on one cylinder.

So, I pulled the fuse #1 and cranked the car for 10 secs to clear excess fuel. Put the fuse back and tried to start it. The engine actually catches but didn't start. So thinking it's getting flooded because after it catches, I would then try to start but it just turns and no catch. Tried it twice with pulling fuse and same result.

I once switched a coil wire with a spark plug wire on a Chevy 6 cylinder distributor cap as a prank. The guy got the engine to start, but it only ran on one cylinder.

+10 points on the d-bag scale if it was same brand and color. :lol::lol:

What do the plugs smell like? I assume gas? I'd leave the plugs out of the wells for the evening and let everything evaporate, clean them if they're fouled, and try again in the morning.

What color is your spark?

Make sure wire order is 4312.

Have you tried starting with the accelerator floored? I had a leaking FPR and it would only start after a lot of cranking while floored; it then ran, with astonishing power at below 40 temps. Another test: unplug the injectors and try starting with carb cleaner or starting fluid. With carb cleaner sprayed through any vacuum port, it should start and run on that. If not, I'd suspect the timing belt has jumped a tooth or more.

Hey Sensei! Flooring it didn't work but unplugging the fuel injectors and spraying starting fluid helped and car started but quickly died. Also had to keep the starter turning to finally get the car to fire. Now what?

Your test proved that you get spark and that the spark is timed correctly.
Somehow it seems that EZK is not getting the signal to the LH box to start injecting.
Or maybe your fuelpump relais is broken? (it's that big white relais in the back of the fuse panel (remove the ashtray for access.)
That white relais can be opened up. Then you can inspect the soldering points for cracks and dull-grey color. Resolder all those points and reinstall it.

just some other ideas:
- there should be a good ground connection between manifold (or injector gallery) and the firewall. Each injector also has a ground wire going from the connector to the manifold. All these connections should be clean and tight.
- i seem to remember that LH2.4 is batch-fire injection. I am not sure if it matters in a batch fire inj setup but do you have the right connectors connected to the right injectors?
If the fuel is delivered out of fase it might not get ignited.

There is a connection between the EZK and the LH box, if the EZK does not receive a TDC signal it does not pass the signal to the LH box allowing LH to start injecting.

On the RSR wires, which wires can I jumper together to allow me to find out if the relay is working. I already switch the e fan relay but still no go. I'm about to check the fuel pump relay and ground wires.

So, jumped the wires on the RSR and still won't start. All grounds are clean and tight. Will open up the fuel pump relay tom. How do I get the entire fuse/relay tray out underneath the radio?

Also, I disconnected the fuel injector wire with ignition on ON. Checked voltage and I don't get 12v. Should the wires have 12 volts when ignition is ON?

Back