• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

paint/powdercoat my compressor?

MrBill

fige=500Dollar Mistake
300+ Club
I have my turbo, benflynn t4, rebuilt center section (by garrett WOOT) and a .63 turbine

The john-deere green t4 doesnt do it for me. I think im gonna scrub the paint off, and id like to paint it, or better, get it powdercoated the maroon color of my car.

Is this something I can do? Or is it a bad idea? Ideas?

powder coating

Did you see the Mad Adder's display at Carlisle? He had a display of powder coated items next to his nice turbo wagon. Check in with him. He isn't very far for shipping and not to bad of a drive to Susquehanna.

i was just wanting to do the housing, unless you're making fun of me :oops:
"paint/powdercoat my compressor?" says WHEEL to me. the wheel does the compressing (yes, with the help of the housing which contains it), so if I had to assume (and I did), I would assume compressor referred to the wheel, not the housing. In addition, I would not assume someone would question whether it was OK to paint/powdercoat the housing, whereas I would expect someone to ask if it was OK to coat the wheel. The housing just sits there...so paint the outside and mask off the inside. I don't know, that seemed too obvious to be what you were asking. :e-shrug:

Lots of assuming...or just another perspective.

you saw mine, it's painted red (the housing of course)... if you dont like the green go down to autozone or whatever and take your pick of colors, they have many

rub it back with 400 grit wet and dry, clean it well with wax + grease remover.
mask off internals.
paint with engine enamel in the colour of your choice.
shouldnt cost you more than $13.

In addition, I would not assume someone would question whether it was OK to paint/powdercoat the housing

I think the question basically boiled down to "is the compressor housing too hot for paint to stay on?"

I don't know the exact answer, because I don't know what sort of temperatures "normal" paint will hold up to. I know that exhaust paint will live there happily.

I think the question basically boiled down to "is the compressor housing too hot for paint to stay on?"

I don't know the exact answer, because I don't know what sort of temperatures "normal" paint will hold up to. I know that exhaust paint will live there happily.
normal spray paint holds up fine on wheels (something aluminum attached to something iron that gets very hot). go for it.

He removing green paint/powdercoat from it, so if it has been run, the answer is yes...

normal powder coat is good up 400?, there is a higher rating and then of course there is high-temp paint..good for 1200? ????

Back