• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

GARBAGE 1/4 mile times......

94 should have the upgraded 'medium' springs. So that's good. If the vacuum is even and not pulsing with idle, it's not going to be a specific cyl causing it.

Do you just seal the end into the ic piping or do you blow it into the bay looking for disturbances. My ex has one, maybe I'll suffer her for a week lol

I just added a vacuum hose to the front port where the smoke comes from and then attached the vacuum hose to a manifold port. Granted my car was N/A so you would have to find a way to go to the IC piping.

94 should have the upgraded 'medium' springs. So that's good. If the vacuum is even and not pulsing with idle, it's not going to be a specific cyl causing it.

It definitely pulses, the arf fluctuates as well. I'm not seeing any bubbles on the intake gaskets but they are felpros so I might just order some elrings and replace them. Too bad there isn't an easy way to add orings to the yoshifab spacers.

you'd know if it had a burnt valve, it'd skip at idle and the compression test wouldn't come out very nice.

Good point, didn't know the drop happened right at that time. I'm around 15 with a IPD turbo cam. very steady though. doesn't fluctuate at all. 20hg in park.

Could be a leak there I assume youve at least tried re torquing the bolts?

yep i've checked them all, if they're leaking it would have to be under runners 3&4 as that's the only place I cant spray and check. Sticking my hand under there I didn't feel any leaks though.

I work with 'phenolic' on a daily basis. Micarta, G10, paper phenolic. It tends to separate and delaminate if you're not careful in the mfg process. I would look closely to ensure none of the canvas (assuming he's using canvas micatra) is delaminating. I'm also under the impression that a phenolic spacer does not require another gasket, but perhaps someone who's run them before can comment to that. Check your micatra as well then.

I work with 'phenolic' on a daily basis. Micarta, G10, paper phenolic. It tends to separate and delaminate if you're not careful in the mfg process. I would look closely to ensure none of the canvas (assuming he's using canvas micatra) is delaminating. I'm also under the impression that a phenolic spacer does not require another gasket, but perhaps someone who's run them before can comment to that. Check your micatra as well then.

Yeah I looked around for the answer to number of gaskets, I found some saying none and some saying one per mating surface. I just put them in at the beginning of the summer and they didn't look like they were separating at all. I'll check that a well when I get home.

So still no changes, I'm living in an apartment during school with a landlord that's always around and doesn't let us do any car stuff so it probably wont be changed at all till the end of the month when I go home next. Last autox of the year is this weekend so I'm thinking of taking the intake off at the track and replacing the gaskets with RTV gray as that's what sdturbo says he does and hits 25psi. Im also going to adjust the TPS and idle speed as I read you should check those every time you take the throttle spool off. Anyone have any good links as to how to do that?

as for if the spacers are separating from what I can see with the manifold on they do not look like it.

That could be it, the valve clearances could be too tight and ruining the flow of the head.

checked everything a month ago or so. three were barely out of spec, moved shims around and swapped some new ones in and got them all in spec. If my wallet ever gats less empty I might buy one size thinner then all the shims I currently have in to loosen it up some more.

This wouldn't effect my lean at idle (17-18 afr) and my rich at boost (10.6 afr) problem though. If im not getting enough fuel for whatever reason well in vac I could see that translating to slow times off the line which seems to be the start of my 1/4 mile problems. Having my maf post intercooler it doesn't leave a lot of area for leaks and I haven't found any yet.

First step will be throwing away the felpro intake gaskets which I have read nothing but bad about and replacing it with rtv gray

When this topic hits 500 replys I'll probably pay to transport one of you guys here and buy you a beer if you can fix it. Hope you like IPAs

Just for comparison's sake...

I had a '95 940T w/ 15G, 3" turbo back, IPD cam, FMIC, MBC...ran 13.9 best ET on street tires on 100 octane, at IIRC ~20psi.

With all of that stuff on the engine, it's going to be a bit difficult to troubleshoot...so many variables. Check that the gaskets are leaking before you chuck them. May as well chuck the phenolics, too...they don't do a damn thing.

Wish I could help you more...but with all that hardware, all I can tell you is what you already know: if it were running properly, it would be making about 80hp more than it is (and running better than low 17's, which is slower than a bone-stock 940 Turbo). :(

Last edited:
Back