home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 12-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #26
suped.
Board Member

I've run 12 year old tires for an extended period (and 2 10 hour round trips across the state). I say run it. Inspect it if it makes you feel better. Check for dry rot. Though a well made, old tire with tons of dry rot still seems to have less sidewall flex than the cheap junk I'm running right now.
suped. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #27
OldGrandpaTune
The Road Warrior

I don't take a chance with tires and probably am extreme on the safe side. It can snow any month of the year here though.

Everything has less than 4 year old tires. We have an ancient Subie, and took it down and put on 13" snows just in case my fair half has to get through 6-8 inches of snow to get to work again.

"Every man...should periodically be compelled to listen to opinions which are infuriating to him. To hear nothing but what is pleasing to one is to make a pillow of the mind."
St. John Ervine
OldGrandpaTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #28
suped.
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGrandpaTune View Post
I don't take a chance with tires and probably am extreme on the safe side. It can snow any month of the year here though.

Everything has less than 4 year old tires. We have an ancient Subie, and took it down and put on 13" snows just in case my fair half has to get through 6-8 inches of snow to get to work again.
You have kids though right?
suped. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #29
TempleUWS6
Board Member

“Tires are primarily degrading from the inside-out, due [to] permeation and reaction of the pressurized oxygen within the tire structure, with rates proportional to temperature.”

So would filling them with some other gas like nitrogen help slow this process?
TempleUWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #30
Martin L.
Kombinationskraftwagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleUWS6 View Post
“Tires are primarily degrading from the inside-out, due [to] permeation and reaction of the pressurized oxygen within the tire structure, with rates proportional to temperature.”

So would filling them with some other gas like nitrogen help slow this process?
Yes.
Tire stores in Germany offer to fill with pure nitrogen since the early 90's. They call it Reifengas ("tire-gas"). Nitrogen also is used in racing applications and aircraft tires to prevent self ignition due to heat.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #31
OldGrandpaTune
The Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by suped. View Post
I have one, and his is older than you.

Crashed many times, and it starts to hurt after a while.
OldGrandpaTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #32
SwedishBee
Drill em deep

Quote:
I've run 12 year old tires for an extended period (and 2 10 hour round trips across the state). I say run it. Inspect it if it makes you feel better. Check for dry rot. Though a well made, old tire with tons of dry rot still seems to have less sidewall flex than the cheap junk I'm running right now.
I respect you completely.
But **** that.
SwedishBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #33
Dan
TQ>HP

I start getting real antsy around 5 years. I have 3 vehicles approaching that. Hoping the low gas prices will affect tire prices soon.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #34
oldnfast
Board Member

Quote:
Kids in your car or not,have yourself a blowout due to old tires,smack into a car with a couple of kids.
oldnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #35
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos

When someone else produces funds for new tires I'll stop worrying about 5 year old tires.
-93' 245 m47-iPd sways, T-cam
Past
-80' 242gt m46-
-88' 245 m47-Welded diff, gutted, 13g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
spill it MClovin and WTF happens to your glasses you piece of ****..
Feedback Thread
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:00 AM   #36
Janspeed
Board Member

i once bought an Alfa Spider that was imported from Florida.
I ran the car for over a year on the tires it came on.
Then, some day i was making a fast (100mph) roadtrip when the rear of the car started to shake violently. Not reassuring when you are traveling at speed. So i stoped on the hard shoulder to check things over. The tires seemed to be OK, both were still inflated. But once i looked closer i noticed a bulge on the thread of one tire. When i touched it it was scalding hot! I installed the spare and drove on.
So, the next day i had new rear tires installed and i asked the tire guy if he could investigate what went wrong with the old tires. They had plenty of thread left and looked OK. He cut the bulging tire open and then it became obvious what was happening. The steel belt inside the tire had rusted which caused the tire to start delaminating. Very dangerous. Specially in a ragtop.
The guy told me it happened more often on ragtops, classic cars and trailers because these tend to get used less often. Meaning the tirethreads wear slowly, but the tires still do age!

I traded that Alfa Spider for a classic bmw e9 coupe that came with a set of wheels fitted with 20+ year old winter tires. The rubber was like hard plastic! On a wet road i could produce instant wheelspin in 3rd gear! It was impossible to get proper heat in the tire. Hardly any grip at all. Because the tires were fitted with inner tubes i actually used these tires for a while and even did a few Nurburgring laps on them.
Silly, in fact, not very wise since i knew better after that Alfa Spider experience. But those old tires did hold up.

Once i got the 16" Alpina rims with the brand new Michelin PS2's i never looked back. The difference in grip was like night and day.
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #37
atrokz
super cage design genius

I will change them every 5 years, 4 seasons for winters, as those dry out faster it seems.

I tried driving a set of older winters (about 7 years) with 'good' tread and they were horrible in the rain. On close inspection you could see small cracks, and it wouldn't handle worth anything. Understeer on sweepers, oversteer in sharp corners. Threw on newer winters, and it's night and day.
92 245 DL WAS NOT TO BE -RETURNED FOR ZERO SPACE
91 745T RIP
94 850 NA RIP
95 850R GONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Rob Ford was Canadas greatest president
atrokz is offline   Reply With Quote