home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-15-2015, 01:22 AM   #1
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos

Default M47 flywheel bolt fell out

About a year ago I had a clutch put in my 93 240 by a close-friends-uncles-friend. The whole job from start to finish cost me about $525. I would have done the job myself but at the time I did not have the confidence to tear out my tranny, nor did I have a machine to resurface the flywheel. After driving the car for awhile this horrible noise appeared to be coming from the bell housing. I was worried but by the time I got home it had disappeared. This happened once or twice. Just tonight I pulled the brace that holds the transmission to the engine and noticed these wear marks. I'm worried that at least one flywheel bolt has come loose and worked its way out. Either that or some other piece of metal did.. How much should I be worried? I've been driving the car for quite awhile with no issues yet.
-93' 245 m47-iPd sways, T-cam
Past
-80' 242gt m46-
-88' 245 m47-Welded diff, gutted, 13g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
spill it MClovin and WTF happens to your glasses you piece of ****..
Feedback Thread

Last edited by PromiseRing; 01-15-2015 at 01:31 AM..
PromiseRing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:28 AM   #2
PromiseRing

Old 01-15-2015, 01:50 AM   #3
2manyturbos

It can't be a flywheel bolt. There is no way it could get past the clutch disc. Maybe, a pressure plate bolt.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:17 AM   #4
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

^

Or a pressure plate locating pin.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi a stock can support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:27 AM   #5
PromiseRing

Yup before reading this I looked closer and saw that it wasn't possible. Thanks! I've never had a transmission out of a car so in between the flywheel and engine is the pressure plate? So it goes rear main seal>pressure plate>flywheel>clutch disk?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:37 AM   #6
2manyturbos

No, crank shaft end, flywheel, disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing. In that order.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:40 AM   #7
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
No, crank shaft end, flywheel, disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing. In that order.
So if the wear on the flywheel is on the side closest to the engine, that would mean it had to be something inbetween the engine and flywheel?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:41 AM   #8
PromiseRing

It seems like nothing could go inbetween the flywheel teeth and case surrounding it. I see some bolts inbetween the flywheel and engine but I don't know what they're holding in.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:45 AM   #9
2manyturbos

Exactly. I'll tell you what I think did that. One of your rear main seal housing bolts came out. The gap between the flywheel ring gear and the bell housing is so narrow, I don't think anything could get to the opposite side of the flywheel, unless, it bounced through the starter access area. Really doubtful. I think if you look up with a flash light at your seal housing, you may be able to see if one of the bolts is missing.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:00 AM   #10
cosbySweater
Board Member

I once sheared off all the flywheel bolts at the crank. That was fun
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7665 turbo, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:04 AM   #11
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
Exactly. I'll tell you what I think did that. One of your rear main seal housing bolts came out. The gap between the flywheel ring gear and the bell housing is so narrow, I don't think anything could get to the opposite side of the flywheel, unless, it bounced through the starter access area. Really doubtful. I think if you look up with a flash light at your seal housing, you may be able to see if one of the bolts is missing.
I couldn't for the life of me describe that lol. Thank you, that was a good description. When I had them do the clutch I didn't have them do a rear main seal (that was very stupid of me) so I'm not sure how one of those became loose. The rear main seal housing bolts would only be removed if one was doing a RMS, right? This would explain the leaking..
Old 01-15-2015, 03:05 AM   #12
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
I once sheared off all the flywheel bolts at the crank. That was fun
Too much torque, bro.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:13 AM   #13
cosbySweater
Board Member

Po not tightening down the flywheel. 400k+ b21f that dynoed 52whp
Old 01-15-2015, 03:15 AM   #14
PromiseRing

Quote:
Po not tightening down the flywheel. 400k+ b21f that dynoed 52whp
Typo? Lol that's crazy.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:56 AM   #15
cosbySweater
Board Member

No typo. Lol
Old 01-15-2015, 04:00 AM   #16
PromiseRing

That's insane. Probably low compression on all cylinders?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:18 AM   #17
cosbySweater
Board Member

Good compression. Just really really tired. Bores are in good shape. Car was however on lh1.0 at the time
Old 01-15-2015, 04:24 AM   #18
PromiseRing

Quote:
Good compression. Just really really tired. Bores are in good shape. Car was however on lh1.0 at the time
It was just craving a turbo.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:25 AM   #19
PromiseRing

So there's the rear main seal that you just pull out and replace like other seals and then is there a seal around the housing itself as well?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:47 AM   #20
cosbySweater
Board Member

The rear main seal housing has a paper type gasket that goes between it and the block. The paper gasket however is a tad longer at the base then the housing is. So if you are going to replace that. Remove the housing from the car and lay the gasket on it and trim it accordingly and use rtv at the base of it. I do not recomend replacing these with the oil pan on however. Alot of times you run the risk of compromising the oil pan gasket and that is not to fun to do in the car. If the seal retainer isnt leaking dont mess with it. To remove the rear main seal i drill 2 small holes in the rear main, thread in 2 self tapping screws that are about 1 inch long. Then use heal bars to remove it. When installing the rear main seal i pack the back of the seal with dielectric grease to avoid having the the metal spring fall out.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:49 AM   #21
2manyturbos

There is a gasket that goes between the seal housing and the block. The rear main seal is just like the front crank seal, only, much larger in diameter. It presses into the housing just like all 3 front shaft seals. If you had a bolt come out of the seal housing, there are likely more of those bolts that are loose. It would definitely cause a substantial oil leak.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:07 AM   #22
PromiseRing

Now that I think about it, the oil leaks started after my switch to synthetic. Nothing up from but the oil pan gasket and possibly rear main/rear main housing are leaking. Pulling the oil pan and replacing it was the hardest thing I've done on a car. Is it safe to say that it would be easier to remove my m47 and do a rear main than to pull the oil pan?
Old 01-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #23
SteveMD
M54B30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 View Post
Now that I think about it, the oil leaks started after my switch to synthetic. Nothing up from but the oil pan gasket and possibly rear main/rear main housing are leaking. Pulling the oil pan and replacing it was the hardest thing I've done on a car. Is it safe to say that it would be easier to remove my m47 and do a rear main than to pull the oil pan?
If one of the rear main seal housing bolts fell out like 2manyturbos thinks, then you may want to pull that M47, the clutch, and flywheel to replace the seal and missing bolt. It depends on what you find when you get in there but you may also want to pull the seal housing.

I have pulled the rear main seal housing without dropping the oil pan. I loosened the pan bolts from mid-block rearwards, removed those that thread into the seal housing, carefully worked a putty knife between the pan gasket and the bottom of the seal housing to separate them, then removed the seal housing. After I reinstalled the housing, I smeared RTV on the putty knife and worked it in between the gasket and seal housing. That worked fine for me.
SteveMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #24
PromiseRing

Sorry for the duplicate posts. But that sounds fun. I re-tightened some oil pan bolts last night so I'll see if it continues to leak. There was NO oil on the back of the flywheel so maybe it's not leaking. If anything I wouldn't necessarily have to pull the oil pan completely, I think I could raise the motor a few inches and drop the pan only a few inches as well. They make a 2 or 3 piece oil pan gasket so you don't have to pull the pan IIRC. How hard would one say it is to pull an m47 and do a rear main?
Old 01-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #25
mtd240
Bored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 View Post
How hard would one say it is to pull an m47 and do a rear main?
What would you consider to be the "hardest job" you have done on your 240, or any car for that matter?
mtd240 is offline   Reply With Quote