• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Let's talk pinging

I know 10.3 is rich but it's not that rich to cause issues is it?

I'm on all stock everything on a +t, Volvo runs you rich to avoid knoicking for the grandmas who use 87 in their turbo cars. I don't ping (audibly at least) and my AFR's are at 10.3-11.3 all the time. I didn't know you could ping from too rich anyways. But what is too rich?

Check ignition timing, run some seafoam through it or give it the chinese water torture.

Restrictive exhaust, bad gas, ignition timing, carbon buildup, overheating, too high of compression..that can all cause it. My t3 was at ~13lbs and pinged like crazy, my 13c had an iffy wastegate actuator that put me at 14lbs with no ping..hm. The t3 was injecting oil vapors into my engine though and their octane rating is like 47 from what I've heard.

My exhaust is not restrictive at all so I'll cross that out. Seems way worse lately so bad gas could be it, it's also been hotter lately.

Running excessively rich is a tuning bandaid to limit knock. It does offer some benefits of charge/piston cooling though.
Ignition timing is one of the main culprits of knock. Carbon and hot spots are the others.

Still on breakerless ignition and LH2.2 Alex. Yeah I really am going to go MS once I have enough for Kenny's plug n play setup. Kinda in some debt from moving back to California and a 3k vet bill an needing to get my own house here again but I will have MS in the next few months I'm hoping

I've been at 18psi for a while now an the car feels good but had to get off the chipped ecu due to a issue so I'm on stock ecu again an when I come in too boost hard te pinging is definitely there

I've been at 18psi for a while now an the car feels good but had to get off the chipped ecu due to a issue so I'm on stock ecu again an when I come in too boost hard te pinging is definitely there

Turn down the boost and see if it still happens. <strike>If you're on stock managment you will probably ping at 18 psi.</strike>

Last edited:
+
Heaven forfend if anybody looked at flame fromt propogation and the effect of bore diameters on det limits...

Must be just magic than little Honjas and VW and old Misterbitchis can run high static AND way more boost that Redblocks..
Magic...has to be..
Couldn't be any benefit studying how they are different.
It goes without saying , that's why nobody has said it..

Just plain magic.
Has to be!

Spark plugs with a heat range one step too hot will cause pinging that can be band-aided by a richer mixure. Moral: run cooler spark plugs.

So your problem is stock management, I was kinda right. Volvo didn't intend for 18psi. They're big bore motors, flame front has to go a long way, it's not tuned to avoid detonation at that boost.

Back