home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Hotdoggin
Board Member

Default Carbed 245...

But not the way you're thinking... I bought this car from a guy I met in Pick N Pull, while I was pulling the fuel rail out of a 240. We talked out there until we were sunburned, went and ate some lunch, bull****ted some more and he told me he had a quad round 78 that needed a new home. He asked what I'd pay, told him I don't make offers, and he threw out 150$... so, he told me all the stuff going on with it, and I bought it after he pinned me to the seat down a dirt road in it throwing a huge rooster tail. Every suspension bit is jacked, but it runs like no other. Amazing. (Feel free to move this thread, but I thought you guys would appreciate this thing.)

YAMAHA (THANKS BENSKI) Virago carb... and lots of epoxy, carbon fiber and fiberglass...

Cold start system, a spritz of butane... fuel pressurizing system, an unlit propane torch. Actually a fairly ingenious solution to pressure loss.

1984 244DL - Crushed
1984 245DL - Sitting in someone's yard
1991 740SE - girlfriend's car
2008 S60 2.5T - Money drainer

Last edited by Hotdoggin; 05-07-2015 at 01:12 PM..
Hotdoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
benski
Board Member

Do you mean a Yamaha Virago motorcycle carb? I've never heard of a Honda Virago. Looks pretty ingenious, if not Amelia Island concours de' elegance ready.
benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Hotdoggin
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benski View Post
Do you mean a Yamaha Virago motorcycle carb? I've never heard of a Honda Virago. Looks pretty ingenious, if not Amelia Island concours de' elegance ready.
YAMAHA. You're correct. Post amended. Honestly? It works, and works really well. The poly-ethylene clear lines are cause for concern, but they are actually fairly robust, and these have been on there for ten years.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
Johann245
Volvoholic

Quite the original.
Johann245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
benski
Board Member

Heck, if you've got the money and room, it looks like a good value. Good luck with your new find.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
Hotdoggin
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benski View Post
Heck, if you've got the money and room, it looks like a good value. Good luck with your new find.
Oh, I bought it soon as I drove around the corner and saw the headlights. I bought it again when he dumped the clutch on the dirt road and threw my brother to the rear hatch (no rear seats,) then I bought it once more on the drive home where I didn't have to struggle to merge into traffic or accelerate from stop lights. My Brown 245 has issues, still, even after all that fuel-system work I did. It's so slow and weak compared to this bodged together car.

And you know what? After a wash, the paint is in fairly decent condition.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
benski
Board Member

Old 05-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
Ursan
الله الفول السوداني شطائر

More pics of the entire setup please. I'm intrigued.

What's the rating on that carb? Seems awful small for a 2.1/2.3 engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr brick driver View Post
Do you realize this is a rare car. From what i can see you ruined the eblems, the door lock cylenders, and casued about an additional 1000 in work for someone who wants to actally paint this car...ruined, RUINED, RUINED

1990 780t Kind of Modded 1994 945t Pegz, Tintz, Hidz.
"Rear Wheel Drive, the way God intended. If a car is being pulled from the front, doesn't that mean it's being towed?"

"Lister, you are a polyp on the anus of society." - A.J. Rimmer
Ursan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

One 1.5-2" throat feeding a 2.1 seems fairly terrible.

Not that tired out N/A k-lambda with various 70s emissions junk and an 8.5:1 compression '78 B21F is great either.
If you send me $20 I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #10
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

That carb is probably no bigger than 34mm. The yamaha Virago ran 2, the engines are not big on those bikes either. I'm glad he didn't try and use the Virago starter as well...
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #11
MarkNJ
Board Member

Amazing. Not sure I'd be comfortable with that cold start system.

Current project: 1990 245 DL

Feedback thread
MarkNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #12
volvo 4 life
Board Member

Please post pics of the entire system, I really want to see the whole intake manifold. That is awesome.

Step 1. Push into sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious Todd View Post
I was hitting the brakes real hard and the grille flew out and I ran it over
Only on a Volvo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
A volvo 240 with the front wheels chopped off would be a reliable all wheel drive vehicle.
volvo 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #13
Mueller
Board Member

I hear banjos when I look at that setup....

That said, $150 is heck of deal for something that runs...
Old 05-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
Hotdoggin
Board Member

I literally said everything you guys said. The carb is TINY for the car, but it works, SOMEHOW, and it works well. Probably inefficient as ****, I'm not even going to bother to check the MPG, or fix the fuel sender, or anything. It starts on the first key bump every time. I was skeptical as well. This thing is a total anomaly.

All of the emissions junk is gone, blocked off, capped, whatever. I can pull the starter out from under the manifold, out of the top of the engine. It's STRIPPED bare of everything save for a few wires. When I get home, I'll take a bunch of pictures for you guys.

The cold start system is set up that way because he never hooked up the choke on the carb.

I think I love this car even more because it shows that **** CAN be done with the right mindset, and some parts you have laying around... I drove it 45 minutes or so to get it home, and you'd never know it was a weirdo bodged POS from the way it goes. Idle is set perfectly for me, too... release clutch with no throttle and it takes off like a diesel. -shrug- 150$, I think I made out like a bandit. He also admitted the day we started it was the first time it'd been started since 2012. First key turn.

He's got an 84 with a dodge V8 in it, too... That'll probably be coming to live with me, as well.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #15
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotdoggin View Post
I literally said everything you guys said. The carb is TINY for the car, but it works, SOMEHOW, and it works well. Probably inefficient as ****, I'm not even going to bother to check the MPG, or fix the fuel sender, or anything. It starts on the first key bump every time. I was skeptical as well. This thing is a total anomaly.

All of the emissions junk is gone, blocked off, capped, whatever. I can pull the starter out from under the manifold, out of the top of the engine. It's STRIPPED bare of everything save for a few wires. When I get home, I'll take a bunch of pictures for you guys.

The cold start system is set up that way because he never hooked up the choke on the carb.

I think I love this car even more because it shows that **** CAN be done with the right mindset, and some parts you have laying around... I drove it 45 minutes or so to get it home, and you'd never know it was a weirdo bodged POS from the way it goes. Idle is set perfectly for me, too... release clutch with no throttle and it takes off like a diesel. -shrug- 150$, I think I made out like a bandit. He also admitted the day we started it was the first time it'd been started since 2012. First key turn.

He's got an 84 with a dodge V8 in it, too... That'll probably be coming to live with me, as well.

^It's probably slower with that v8 than with the redblock Just kidding.
-93' 245 m47-iPd sways, T-cam
Past
-80' 242gt m46-
-88' 245 m47-Welded diff, gutted, 13g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
spill it MClovin and WTF happens to your glasses you piece of ****..
Feedback Thread
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #16
Hotdoggin
Board Member

It moves, believe me... it also tows like you wouldn't believe. I watched him drag a firetruck out of the back of his yard with it. An old flatnose Mack fire truck. It was really, really impressive.

I like the guy a lot, he likes to bull**** about cars, and has parts on parts on parts. Good dude to know.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:44 PM   #17
zdriver123
Board Member

That cold start reminds me of a 510 that's up in the NW.

http://motormavens.com/2009/10/cente...ro-datsun-510/
zdriver123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #18
PromiseRing

Perhaps you should remind him that without a top on that filter, he's sucking in dirty air.

I did it for like 2 months though, so it's probably okay.

ninja edit: unless the hood seals it..?
Old 05-08-2015, 02:55 AM   #19
Hotdoggin
Board Member

Hood seals it. He's a smart guy. Real smart.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #20
Volvo ruined my Life

Location: In that neighborhood with the 240 on the jackstands & where tax rate is 1/2 paycheck; la habra, CA

I've done something similar to this to get a car running. I had a big motorcycle carb,its what I used when I was buying cars and I wanted to hear the engine spin.

I'm intrigued at what the air fuel ratio is.
Any thread about cut springs, & or +T on a college students budget shall be sent to OT, flogged for 24 hours, participants in said thread shall point the OP in the correct thread link while simultaneously shaming them
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #21
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
I've done something similar to this to get a car running. I had a big motorcycle carb,its what I used when I was buying cars and I wanted to hear the engine spin.

I'm intrigued at what the air fuel ratio is.
19:1 at wot put a wideband on there and tune it. I bet it'll run even better
Old 05-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #22
Volvo ruined my Life

Location: In that neighborhood with the 240 on the jackstands & where tax rate is 1/2 paycheck; la habra, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 View Post
19:1 at wot put a wideband on there and tune it. I bet it'll run even better
Do you even plug chop, bro?

Edit: now I want to see the plugs.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #23
Hotdoggin
Board Member

Y'know, I didn't think to check, but I bet it's running a bit rich, I can smell it. I'll pull one tonight when I get home, and shoot pictures of the whole system. I wish I could get my hands on a cheap wideband, It would be pretty fun to see what it's throwing out. It sucks on gas mileage, I suspect it's just dumping it in there.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #24
PromiseRing

Quote:
Y'know, I didn't think to check, but I bet it's running a bit rich, I can smell it. I'll pull one tonight when I get home, and shoot pictures of the whole system. I wish I could get my hands on a cheap wideband, It would be pretty fun to see what it's throwing out. It sucks on gas mileage, I suspect it's just dumping it in there.
I guess running too rich is slightly better than too lean. You probably won't ping running too rich but it may be washing the cylinder walls with fuel causing premature wear.

(Not that it matters because of how cheap it was)
Old 05-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #25
Volvo ruined my Life

Quote:
Despite what everyone thinks. This system works on a tiny carb. The only problem is this might hit peak at like 2500rpm, then you'll lean out above that..think of it this way, if you can go way up on size for carbs or even dual carbs, you can go that much down....in theory...and kind of in real life. Its a multi circuit carb, you'd be amazed at what they can do.

On mopeds its way easier because I'm only dealing with one cylinder.

You don't even need a wideband. Bake and clean the plugs and start doing plug chops until you find out optimal performance/mpg at what rpm. Do you have a tach?