• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Open Diff into 940 G80

jillyboi940

Does anyone know what it would take to swap an open diff from a 740 into a G80-equipped 940? I'm not a big fan of the locking and unlocking of the G80, so I was thinking on how to go about changing that. The only problem I can foresee with that is that I can't find any 740s where I live to grab the rear axle out of. Any other suggestions are fine.

What about the locking don't you like? In stock form it only works below something like 20mph. But the easiest would be to lust take the spring out of the mechanism with the flyweight that disables the locking/unlocking function above a certain speed. That way, it'll always be open. Or just take that whole mechanism out, it'll be open too then.

I'm a dirty skid kid and I want consistency :)

In all seriousness though, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'll probably end up welding it while I have it out. Thanks!

The only issue that I see is if you get a diff from a 740, it will not have the correct tone ring. I guess you can reuse the tone ring from your 940s diff. I have an open diff available, send pm if interested.

Not quite an option at the moment. There aren't any 740s to source one. Though, I could use a 240 axle, couldn't I?

Lemme ask, do you know Churd? 240 axle won't fit. Once the locker is engaged they're not supposed unlock until you let off the gas. I'm pretty sure you can buy replacement clutch plates, why not fix it then do the governor mod so you get lsd action at any speed. The only way I could ever tell it was working was that I wasn't spinning one tire and the car was accelerating rapidly, why are you trying to make your crappy old car crappier?

Lemme ask, do you know Churd? 240 axle won't fit. Once the locker is engaged they're not supposed unlock until you let off the gas. I'm pretty sure you can buy replacement clutch plates, why not fix it then do the governor mod so you get lsd action at any speed. The only way I could ever tell it was working was that I wasn't spinning one tire and the car was accelerating rapidly, why are you trying to make your crappy old car crappier?

Churd? No.

I don't like being in drift and wondering whether or not my diff is going to lock how I want it to. I've also heard that G80s aren't built to withstand abuse like that, so I thought it would be a good idea to find a replacement for when it gives out.

Churd? No.

I don't like being in drift

These is simple devices that could help you obtain you goal.

This:
2012-honda-civic-SI-coupe-gear-pedals.jpg

And this:
$_32.JPG

and wondering whether or not my diff is going to lock how I want it to.

What is "how I want it to" ?

I've also heard that G80s aren't built to withstand abuse like that

Where did you heard that?
Abuse like what?

I don't like being in drift and wondering whether or not my diff is going to lock how I want it to.

How is anyone having trouble understanding this?

I'm sorry but I'm lost here.

Is this a French thing?

Trying to go drifting with a diff that locks up completely, maybe, if you apply some throttle but only below 20mph, but then you can go faster, and unlocks if you lift, sounds like a nightmare. I'll take an open diff over that on paper.

OP, have you tried it sideways yet to confirm it's actually that bad?

Last edited:
see edits^^

An open diff sounds better to me than the G80, as it's described, for this purpose. I'd want open or welded, one or the other, if I'm not buying some fancy LSD that engages very predictably.

I happily use an open diff for a car that's made for sliding, because I'm not confident that I could easily get a replacement if I welded it and it didn't work as well, and I'm not on pavement so frankly it's easier to go sideways. It's not that bad. Being on pavement it's probably worth jillyboi's time to weld it up if it's already coming out, but whatever, I've been lazy before. The first suggestion he got is probably the best one, I wouldn't have known you could just mod the G80.

If these cars were nice sports cars that came with a nice limited slip it would be a really weird question, sure, but, you know.

Back