• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Front Wheel Stud

dirtlip

Hey all!

So, we have a new-to-us '92 NA 240 Wagon. One of the wheel studs was stripped, so hammered it out and realized the ABS tone ring is in the way of removing it. It's SO CLOSE to clearing the ring, but there you have it.

Any way to replace it without removing the hub? Figured someone here would have the right approach.

Plan for installing the new one is to make sure the splines are aligned, make extra sure it's going in straight, and to put a nut & two fender washers on the stud with lots of moly lube and use an impact to suck it in (or if that feels dicey a long breaker bar).

Thanks!
~j

Sure...remove whole assembly...use hydraulic press to remove, and install...clean bearings, etc., repack them, and install with new seal/etc.

Wheel studs and bearings are cheap compared to what can happen when they fail. If one failed, replace them all.

I would draw it in by hand, but with lube it shouldn't get too hot with an impact. I'd just want to feel if it "felt right" when pulling the stud in.

I just did 20 long studs and front/rear wheel bearings on an ABS car this weekend, you'll have to take the front hubs and tone rings off.

I did not want to sit there and impact 20 studs in place, so did stud install operation on the press. I liked that smooth control much better than hammering on the threads with the gun.

^ YES!

That's exactly what I was looking for:

"If you have an abs sensor wheel (looks like a gear with flat cogs) on the front hub you will have to grind one side of the new stud's flange to get it in. You'll have to use a grinding wheel. This wheel is stamped steel and you would destroy it if you try to remove. Then put a nut on the stud and crank on it till the stud seats itself into the hub. You won't have the same problem with the rear since the abs sensor is in the differential."

Thank you!

You can remove and reinstall the ABS tone rings without a problem, you just need to be careful.

I have done it dozens of times.

Heat the tone ring, remove tone ring, replace stud, heat tone ring, install tone ring. It wasn't that difficult to remove the tone ring from from an 88 765 ABS hub and install on a 740 non/ABS hub for my 88 765.

Back