• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 chrome mirrors, clean them up!

2turbotoys

Salaminizer
I've been working on my chrome mirrors for my 242, and thought I'd share a few things in case someone else is thinking about it. I think these have stainless steel shells and arms, due to the difficulty of polishing the scratches out.
Tools being used so far:
Wenol red metal polish
Lint free rag
Bench grinder with steel wire wheel to clean up edges of the washers
Here's a kinda weak before and after pic, pretty hard to take pics of ultra shiny stuff with my phone.
nFk0mjcl.jpg

You have to disassemble the arm from the mount to polish the nooks and crannies, pay attention to the orientation of the locating pin, take a pic
aW0ClkOl.jpg

i1wWXbMl.jpg

KgBCnw7l.jpg

Right side of pic is the top, steel washer, copper washer, mirror, copper washer is the order to reinstall. The thru pin thing has a nylon lock dot installed, hopefully it lives through this, it seems tight after reinstalling.
Some specs if ya need replacement stuff:
Washers (steel and copper are the same):
Qty 2
OD: 19.5 mm
ID: just over 5mm
Thickness: 1/16"

Locating pin on the through bolt is just under 5mm

Thanks! Need to find a source for the plastic washer thing that goes between the last pic and the door. White bit in the 3rd pic. McMaster Carr has the other washers in brass in a very close dimension.

Thanks! Ya the one is, started doing the other and once it started getting shiny I could see a small crease as well as some deeper scratches that won't polish out, so going to remove the better one from the car and polish that one. These were an extra set. I also have a NOS set of black mirrors, but decided not to use them, they might show up in my for sale thread soon.

Thanks! This winter I plan on doing all the trim inside and out, hopefully nothing else needs to be replaced. I got new tubes of red and blue Wenol for hand polishing

The plastic spacers are still available new from Volvo and I have 3 of them in stock and they cost $4.20 each.

More are easily available.

Thanks! Need to find a source for the plastic washer thing that goes between the last pic and the door. White bit in the 3rd pic. McMaster Carr has the other washers in brass in a very close dimension.

The copper ones look so cool though (for a couple months probably lol)! I will keep them for now because they are still in good condition but good to know the plastic ones are still available.

Back