• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

One more whit 945 T5

p18002.5t

One more white 945 T5

My mane is Andreas I grow up all Volvo with my father building and racing Volvo?s for fia rally and long distance rallying, mostly 544?s and 122?s but now and again the ode 142 (26 cars built in total). I?v been my fathers gofor and co-driver from the R.A.C (544) to the East African (122) right now my father is building a 122 for the Peking-Paris rally and my brother is building a 242 t5 too.
Volvo run?s in the family.

My first car was a 745gl and I?v only every once veered from the beaten path (a G60 passat) for my daily driver. I?v had many a 745 and 945 and a few 850?s and then V70 t5?s ?but I wanted to go back to rwd.

I went out a bought a newly built B5234t that was mated to a m90h gearbox and planed to put it in to a P1800, well that never happened and the engine just sat there for years.

After getting rid of my V70 I found my self looking for a RWD car and my friend asked me why I don?t just put the old engine in a old Volvo ?and here I am.

The engine

Block B5234t bored to 2.5 liters.
Every rotating part is from a S60R
Balanced and blueprinted.
Injectors and fuel rail are also R.
Head is ported and has GLT cams.
Apr bolts every were.
Holset HX40 turbo (after tec ) t19 for tec
94 ecu with autotech stage 4 chip

I have no idea that kind of power it will put out but hopefully close to 450 with the Holset and no more than 350 with the t19

I started out with a 945 from 1993 with a 190hp b23 turbo.
In Europe every car built after 19930101 has a form of certification/homologation so to say, this really puts a stop to things when it comes to engine swaps or even rim size in some European countries, the only solution is to buy a Volvo registered prier to 19930101 or you could just Swap engine, gearbox, rearend and the hole brake system.
Most people go for option one and get a Volvo registered prier to 1993 as the technical inspection will accept and pass a 745/945 with a 225hk B5234t engine swap, in fact Volvo has said that it?s ok.

The Car

Well there is not much to say it?s white and has 5 doors however it took forever to find a good 945 registered prier to 1993.
It took weeks of looking at one rusty 945 after the other and just when I was going to start looking for an alternative a white 945 registered 1992-12-23 (well some one got them self a x-mas present ) I was the seventh owner however it had been in the family for the last three owners and in very good shape.
Got there had a quick look for rust and found very little, it was lowered with koni yellow?s and springs and had been looked after even if with the garage re-spray.

Brakes

As for brakes she?s getting the R treatment on all four corners hiding behind 18" BBS Nebula
rims.

Interior

S60R seats up front and V70 T5 rear seats
V90/960 Door sides .

I?m close to finishing this build so if any one want?s to know any thing just ask.

Last edited:
Did some work on the air box as things turned out there was a few cm between the air box and the 850?s MAF that needed to be filled.
I cut of a section from a 960 intake hose/pipe and it fit perfectly.

Here are some pictures of the 850?s ecu box were the batteri used to be.
I have only thrown it in there so to give a ide of that it will look like.

Was that engine a B5244T5 with the 81mm bore, prior to your increase to 2.5L?

Last edited:
Previous owner of the engine/trans did your modified oil pan? Any pictures of how it turned out? I understand keeping them flat / holding oil is a bit tricky.......

Yes i have been told that welding them can be tricky.
the white block has two parts to it ( i dont know what to call it in english)
When welding the oil pan you should bolt it on to the lower part of the block and then weld it, that will keep it flat.

I bought my engine turn key ...I?ll see if i can get some pic?s of the pan for you next week.

Time for a update

got two 850 seats free and while i was in there i fished out the rely/fuse box ...

The seats will be used to fit and weld the seat frame so that when the right sets show up it will be an easy swap

As for the rely/fuse box, well the one i was given was so cut up that i felt that it would be easier to just start over.

The electrics are done, just a few things to do.
Extend fuel line and connect.
Connect oil lines to oil cooler.
Build something to hold oil cooler.
Move oil filter and re-connect.
Build new downpipe.
Hook up shifter to gearbox.
Figger out how to extend or move throttle cable.

Start her!!

Started of with a original 850 relay/fuse box

This is what it will look like after you hack away at it.

this is what the relays look like.

Fuel relay (GREEN) 103

The pink wire go?s into the 945 relay/fuse central, just after the original fuel relay and get spliced into the original pink wire that feeds the fuel pump(s)

The yellow/gray wire is the signal from the ecu (contact B27)

Blue/red wire is the power source

black is earth

Overload relay

Power in from red wire via fuse 8

look closely at the middle left contact it has two blue/red wires...one go?s to fuse "one" and then on the the ecu (A12) the other blue/red wire go?s into the 945 electrical center and I hooked it up to fuse 13.4 (thats fuse 13 out on point 4)...why because these blue/red wires power the ecu and they need power on start and run (position 2 and 3 on the key)

the blue/red wire coming out of the top of the relay go?s to fuse 3 that is bridged to fuse 2, fuse 2 out going is blue/red and it feeds the fuel relay (green to the left) ..NOW fuse 3 is also bridged to fuse 4.
fuse 4 out going is blue/red and that feeds the ignition coil !!!!

Black is earth.

this might help some one in the future

Last edited:
Back