• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

complete front suspension swap?

No, it doesn't. John's diagram is theoretical. You have competing moments. I guess neither of you thought of that. Having seen the 240 platform countless times on road race courses and Autocross situations I'm with Pat on this one. Cutting the springs increases the spring rate while lowering the car. The decrease in c.g. height combined with the increase in spring rate has a greater effect than the change in roll center height.
Careful, he might report you for using common sense. :roll:

Straight from Mark Petch's mouth, so it's not absurd. I was shocked as well. I'm guessing you know who Mark Petch is.

Yeah, Petch is some Ford Cosworth and Xr4ti guy from the South Island, did all kinds of cars, all kinds. Wellington I think.

Wouldn't expect a guy to remember the springs on one obscure car he ran a few times 30 years ago...
Whatever ---maybe you mis-understood Kiwi accent... you do seem to be unusually thick-headed and insecure..

Whatever the case it IS absurd..
And. has like all of your trolling, no nothing to do with the subject at hand..
That's why its trolling.

To OP:

Just crush the car already to save you the misery and us the collective embarrassment.

Yeah, Petch is some Ford Cosworth and Xr4ti guy from the South Island, did all kinds of cars, all kinds. Wellington I think.

Wouldn't expect a guy to remember the springs on one obscure car he ran a few times 30 years ago...
Whatever ---maybe you mis-understood Kiwi accent... you do seem to be unusually thick-headed and insecure..

Whatever the case it IS absurd..
And. has like all of your trolling, no nothing to do with the subject at hand..
That's why its trolling.
He ran the ATCC Volvo Group A program back in the day. Driver and team owner, though mostly owner. He currently owns one the nicest restored examples and campaigns it heavily in vintage racing in NZ and Australia. He also owns a 2nd original Volvo Factory Group A car that is in the middle of full restoration right now. He often makes small runs of Group A parts for himself and friends that own the original cars. He owns a few other 242's both stock original ('83 homologation car) and modified street cars.

Old famous Mark Petch car:
B7E8A2E7-A9DE-48A1-AA01-0DA1525766DA_zpsnu64aenp.jpg

The car he is currently campaigning in the vintage racing series:
petch0123_zps3g49ejux.jpg

But yeah, he probably doesn't know anywhere near as much as you do about the Group A cars. :roll:

Last edited:
He ran the ATCC Volvo Group A program back in the day. Driver and team owner, though mostly owner. He currently owns one the nicest restored examples and campaigns it heavily in vintage racing in NZ and Australia. He also owns a 2nd original Volvo Factory Group A car that is in the middle of full restoration right now. He often makes small runs of Group A parts for himself and friends that own the original cars. He owns a few other 242's both stock original ('83 homologation car) and modified street cars.

Old famous Mark Petch car:
B7E8A2E7-A9DE-48A1-AA01-0DA1525766DA_zpsnu64aenp.jpg

The car he is currently campaigning in the vintage racing series:
petch0123_zps3g49ejux.jpg

But yeah, he probably doesn't know anywhere near as much as you do about the Group A cars. :roll:

That's what I call roll stiffness. You'd almost have to wear a mouth guard to keep from chipping teeth.

Yeah boys real real world:roll:... Just run a bead of weld from rod to shock/strut body.:oops:

Dickman you are still trolling, nobody here except you is talking about running a car on smooth roadrace tracks..

You blabbering bullsh!t that nobody else cares about and only reason you don't get a ban for repeated trolling /argumentative BS is cause your budddy-buddys with some of the mods and we all know it...

The Oh Pee asked about separable struts---for a DRIFT CAR, so, you made any separable struts? 1 set even, ever? Then shut you fan-boi mouth up and go away...

Last edited:
Yeah boys real real world:roll:... Just run a bead of weld from rod to shock/strut body.:oops:

Dickman you are still trolling, nobody here except you is talking about running a car on smooth roadrace tracks..

You blabbering bullsh!t that nobody else cares about and only reason you don't get a ban for repeated trolling /argumentative BS is cause your budddy-buddys with some of the mods and we all know it...

The Oh Pee asked about separable struts---for a DRIFT CAR, so, you made any separable struts? 1 set even, ever? Then shut you fan-boi mouth up and go away...
Go back and look at the progression of the posts. I was talking and discussing. You are the one that started calling names and raising your voice (large bold type). As usual you make stuff up to suit you and whatever is in your own little world. Heaven forbid someone else know anything.
I backed up my statement with facts from people that ACTUALLY know and all you can do is whine, cry and call me names. I never cussed or called you one single name through out this entire thread. Yet you called me names in every single post.

So I'll return the favor and "report" you.

If I have, does that mean I don't have to shut up and go away?

These are on RSI's 850 track car. Prototypes for testing. They never made it to production, but they are still on it and working where ever that turd went after RSI shut down.

coiloverassembly_zps81fbf4e6.jpg

So again, you are wrong. I'm sure you'll think up some new excuse, can't wait.

Last edited:
While I agree that Pat often lives upto his surmane he is not talking total **** here.

The 1100 lbs front springs is silly stiff but from talking to some swedish racers the other week they were running 800lbs springs and wanted to go stiffer!

My personal opionion is that about 600lbs is going to be as stiff as you want to go.

With that said about spring rates a 600lbs spring is not always a 600lbs spring

A 12inch 600lbs spring can ride harder than a 8inch 600lbs spring!

It's really a combination of things. Saying 1100lb springs is like saying I run 30psi of boost. Doesn't tell you the entire story.

Mark said they tried big bars and soft springs and hard springs with small bars and the cars seemed to like the latter better.
He said they never used below 900F/500R though.
He also said he would try to remember to get me the valving they used.

Last edited:
Back