• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Timing Belt Job - What Else?

MoCounselor

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to put in an IPD order for the timing belt kit for my 242, and I was wondering what else I should go ahead and do while I'm in there for that. The kit comes with the following:

T-belt
T-belt tensioner
Front crankshaft seal
Intermediate shaft seal
Front camshaft seal
Water pump w/gasket, studs, and nuts

Is there anything else as prophylactic maintenance to replace on the front end of the engine while I have it taken apart for this job?

Thanks,

-Ben

As Rusty_ratchet said, water pump seals. Not a bad idea to have an extra gasket and the two rubber seals on hand. I found myself messing one up and having to buy the gasket and two rubber seals from a dealership, needed them right away, and it cost me close to $45.00.

Have you replaced a timing belt and water pump in the past? My first go around at it I learned about having to leverage up on the water pump the hard way. I didn't know/research this and when all was said and done she pissed water out past the rubber seal like old faithful.

OP didn't mention it, but the T-static clutch fan if you have one. Not cheap coin, but that is a critical piece of your cooling system.

Summary list in this thread is quite good IMO

I would not use the front seals in that kit, especially if yours aren’t leaking. If you want to replace cam/aux seals, use Volvo OE. As for the front main, I think I used the victor reinz and got lucky with no leaks.

Back