• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230FT standalone speeduino ecu

Pedro Olavo

Hello mad volvo gearheads,

I have a volvo 740 turbo from 86 with B200FT and some wiring problems, it only has spark when it wants.

My project now is to change the engine by an B230FT that came out of a 240 turbo that my brother is restoring to original point. The engine on that car never worked, it was a wip, i have the original wiring warness but it?s to old and has to many things to broke.

So I have for some time now a speeduino ecu that i bought for another project and it never come to life. I want to install it one this engine.

Has anyone have done this job ? My main question is about the timing and the advance timing when the boost comes to play. Is some sorce for this information ?

The first is to get is running and drive with no crazy boost. I will not make no more mods to the engine, only the ecu.

I've seen a couple people on this forum mention speeduino, but I haven't seen anyone post that they've successfully finished the project.

A B230FT with LH2.4/EZ116K uses a 60-2 tooth flywheel with a VR sensor. MegaSquirt can have problems with this. I don't know if speeduino supports 60-2 VR, and is robust. If not, you could start with a LH2.2 distributor (in the USA, it's has a hall sensor). Or get a yoshifab DSM CAS adapter (not speeduino cheap).

You'll also need a TPS sensor from a LH3.1 car, or from an 850 with an adapter (for example, yoshifab). The original B230FT LH2.4 TPS is just 2 switches - Idle and WOT, not a variable resistance.

There's an old writeup on converting from K-Jet to MegaSquirt. If you download the .pdf, there's a link to a starting configuration file for MegaSquirt, including Fuel/Spark tables. See:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250181

You can also look through the MegaSquirt threads to see if someone's posted a good MS configuration file (.msq file) for a similar engine/cam/turbo/exhaust setup as yours. You'll need to download the free version of TunerStudio to view the Fuel/Spark tables.

OK? Is this a good enough start for you?

I'll be converting my MS2 car to Speeduino this summer. The VR conditioner it uses is the MAX chip, which is apparently the same one that the microsquirt and MS3 Pro units use, so it should have no issues with the stock VR sensor. I've built a couple, and I can definitely say that they're as robust as any MS1/2, component-wise. Using the Arduino Mega2560 as the main processor definitely helps plan for any possible future problems, because they're dirt cheap now (if you buy the chinese ones).

I liked MS at first, but ending any open source code development has made it kinda stale. I'm no coder, but I liked seeing what people could come up with :).

Back