• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ZF Rack Type 1,2,3?

I didn't know that you could buy rebuild kits and do it yourself -- you'll need to let me know how it all turns out since Jorgen wants $260.

Here's a picture of my leaky ZF rack - there's an ID tag inconveniently facing and located about 1/2" away from the crossmember:

If you shoot a couple pictures carefully from just the right angles, you can read the tag. Otherwise, a mirror and a flip+rotate in your photo editing software (or even Paint) will show the tag:

So my ZF rack is a Type 3 since it has 7832955106 on the plate.

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks I didn't know where to look for that number.

My data tag is barely legible, but I can sort of make out the same numbers as yours.

Unfortunately PSKITS.com physical location is located directly in the path of Irma... so I am may not get the rebuild kit any time soon...

For future reference: ZF Type 3 Rack 7832 955 106 uses seal kit # 7832 633 004

Additional:
Cross Interchange Parts
Factory Number

ZF kit number 7832633004
LEMFORDER 616 800 000
LEMFORDER 20385 01
VOLVO 271 562

Last edited:
Just FYI, after removal I found out one of the little plastic 90 degree hose fittings in the rack for the balance hose was broken off, and the hose was missing. Unfortunately this allowed water/road grime inside the boot, and left pits in the main shaft of the rack. Rather than waste over $50 on a rebuild kit, I decided to buy just the shaft seal for the passenger side end of the rack and polish the pits as much as possible with emery cloth. If the rack leaks again from the passenger side, I will suck it up and buy the Jorgen reman ZF unit. The pits aren't really horrible, so it may be ok. I bought the best viton seal I could find, it will be interesting to see if it works.

The rack is actually really simple, the headache I found is the nut that holds the barrel was beat up by the previous "rebuilder" using a chisel to remove and install it... leaving the threads beat up pretty bad. I took it apart and cleaned up the damage as well as possible for the test, and put on anti-seize so it will be easier to remove next time.

I tapped 1/8 npt threads and replaced the plastic fitting with a steel thread on the right end.

Home made hone for the barrel.

And "Right Stuff" on a brass fitting driven into the housing end. Note that once installed, the fitting can't come back out.

I thought about it a bit, I will need a longer hose to get around the aluminum block that supports the right side.

Eventually photobucket will kill these.

Last edited:
Hi. I've been looking for some disassembly info on these racks. Did your rebuild kit come with the support bushing for the pass side of the rack inside the tube?

The pictures are a great help, as my rack just dumped all of its fluid out after groaning for a few seconds then--no power steering.

Just curious, how did your rebuild go... was replacing the o-rings in the steering shaft difficult?

And did you have any balancing issues with your rebuild?

Back