• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Large Jeep/Chrysler/Mopar Cooling Fans

dbarton

Dejected by Volvo Corp.
I'm wondering if anyone here has tried using any large Jeep/Chrysler/Mopar fans for primary cooling. The info I'm beginning to find is that they can be found in 18 or 19 inches diameter and with reported CFM ratings of 4000. If these seem to be useful, I think they might be a decent fit in an existing 240 or 740 fan shroud with an ~18 inch opening and it will destroy the small 940/850 fan.

Some are two-speed I believe.

Part numbers: 52079528AB, 52079528AD, CBG4F250

Dave B

Attachments

• fan52079528AB-3.jpg
    fan52079528AB-3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 228
Not sure on age range, but those may be getting into the PWM controlled end of things which adds a little complexity.

I thought the 940 fans were around 4000 on high as well.

Not sure on age range, but those may be getting into the PWM controlled end of things which adds a little complexity.

I thought the 940 fans were around 4000 on high as well.

I think those fans go back 15 years or more. PWM is certainly an option, but not necessary for any fan. But if you do go PWM, I've been using THIS CONTROLLER since November 2018 for my Lincoln Mark VIII fan and it's pretty great.

As for 940 fans, 15 or 16 inches? There's no chance they're over 2000 CFM. Likely far less.

Most 16 inch Spal fans are 1200-1500 cfm and Spal's most expensive 12v 16 inch fans ($250 range) push no more than 2000 cfm. I don't think Volvo fans will outperform a Spal.
https://webstore.spalusa.com/en-us/productlist/0671/products/fans/16-fans/fans+-+16.aspx
Dave

I just put a DeRale 2 speed on the 140, specs are 1500/2100 on it. I will say, the airflow from the DeRale definitely feels lower than the 940 fan in the wagon, from a purely non-scientific realm. A few different places I've seen also give a ballpark of 100cfm per amp of draw, which puts the 940 fan around 1800 on low, 3800 on high.

Admittedly, n 18 or 19" fan, similar blade design like the one you posted up should move a crapload of air, and more than the 940 fan, but I'd be curious to see numbers if someone had a way to test them back to back.

I just put a DeRale 2 speed on the 140, specs are 1500/2100 on it. I will say, the airflow from the DeRale definitely feels lower than the 940 fan in the wagon, from a purely non-scientific realm. A few different places I've seen also give a ballpark of 100cfm per amp of draw, which puts the 940 fan around 1800 on low, 3800 on high.

Admittedly, n 18 or 19" fan, similar blade design like the one you posted up should move a crapload of air, and more than the 940 fan, but I'd be curious to see numbers if someone had a way to test them back to back.

The most powerful fan I find in the Derale page is the H.O. Extreme 17 inch which pulls 1800/2400 cfm. Is there one I'm missing?

I still say not a chance with the 940 fan. I think I might have one that I can test the amps with.
Dave

Last edited:
I did check the draw on my 940 fan, pulled 22 startup, 18 constant on low, 40/38 on high. 2 different fans, same load within about .5a, using a Craftsman inductive clamp DVOM.

Now I'm really curious...

I did check the draw on my 940 fan, pulled 22 startup, 18 constant on low, 40/38 on high. 2 different fans, same load within about .5a, using a Craftsman inductive clamp DVOM.

Now I'm really curious...

Thats some high amp draw on high. Those fans you gave part numbers for are available on rock auto, Single speed and 2 speed.

Thinking I determined that my 88 765 Turbo radiator would require a 16" fan.

Lots of people run that 16 inch fan. I know. I just think it's minimally suitable or just fine for a non-turbo or non-AC car. Might also be ok in some regions as long as you pay attention to signs like this below.

Anyone who is familiar with the Grapevine on I-5 knows there are signs like this on both ends. My 18 inch fan kept things cool going up those grade at 80 mph last week (~10 psi boost constant for miles and miles) with AC on.
Dave

20%20Hot-1s.jpg

Lots of people run that 16 inch fan. I know. I just think it's minimally suitable or just fine for a non-turbo or non-AC car. Might also be ok in some regions as long as you pay attention to signs like this below.

Anyone who is familiar with the Grapevine on I-5 knows there are signs like this on both ends. My 18 inch fan kept things cool going up those grade at 80 mph last week (~10 psi boost constant for miles and miles) with AC on.
Dave

20%20Hot-1s.jpg

also helps with a smaller pusher fan on the Ac condenser.

Dave

Does the fan actually move more air than driving at 80mph without a fan? I recently had my fan switch die in traffic and the car started to get hot, so I quickly got on the freeway and saw temps drop cooler than they ever had before. Now I'm wondering if my fan hinders flow at 60+.

Does the fan actually move more air than driving at 80mph without a fan? I recently had my fan switch die in traffic and the car started to get hot, so I quickly got on the freeway and saw temps drop cooler than they ever had before. Now I'm wondering if my fan hinders flow at 60+.

If I delete my AC condenser and pusher fans plus delete my intercooler, then I would say the air velocity coming in is probably enough. But not with all that stuff in front of the radiator. The air has to work much harder to get through.

I've mentioned this before . . . years ago I did a back to back test in my 245 Turbo with big IC and AC. Test #1 was with the belt driven fan (tropical clutch). I tested at a long, steady uphill grade on a hot day.

Test #2 was using a stock fan shroud with a 940 fan relay triggered on high.

The result was that at 65-70 mph, the car began running much hotter with the 940 fan.
Dave

If I delete my AC condenser and pusher fans plus delete my intercooler, then I would say the air velocity coming in is probably enough. But not with all that stuff in front of the radiator. The air has to work much harder to get through.

I've mentioned this before . . . years ago I did a back to back test in my 245 Turbo with big IC and AC. Test #1 was with the belt driven fan (tropical clutch). I tested at a long, steady uphill grade on a hot day.

Test #2 was using a stock fan shroud with a 940 fan relay triggered on high.

The result was that at 65-70 mph, the car began running much hotter with the 940 fan.
Dave

That turbo doesn't help. Thats a lot of heat in the engine bay. Seque way a little. with my V8 in may right now and a custom air intake that sits behind the passenger headlight with very little ambient air coming in sits at a pretty high intake air temp. Not a lot of air is really flowing through these engine bays with aftermarket or custom (air rams). Could that be a slight factor to red blocks running warm with the 16" fan?

I also know for a fact with my car, lm7, 16" puller fan, 14" pusher fan on ac condenser that when driving at highway speeds, ac on car runs around 203-206? but when I come down to a slower speed the temps around 199? NA engine fyi

So my point in starting this thread was to find out if anyone here had ever seen, used, heard of or thought about these big Jeep fans. Sounds like not. Probably a good resource if they can be found in salvage yards.
Dave

The problem is both that it is hot but as you gain altitude, air is thinner and cools less, and you get less power. Everything works harder to get the same amount of air into the engine as at sea level. Big push/pull fan totally helps at altitude. While there may be enough air at 80 mph at sea level, thin it out and a fan or two is needed.
Windshield washers can be re-routed to a mister in front of the rad, the evaporating water will help cooling a lot. I have done this to tow rigs with success.
Obviously not a permanent thing, and should only be used for the extremes where a perfectly functional cooling system is not enough.

So my point in starting this thread was to find out if anyone here had ever seen, used, heard of or thought about these big Jeep fans. Sounds like not. Probably a good resource if they can be found in salvage yards.
Dave

I have a 3 speed fan that came in a toyota sienna v6 minivan i think. Pretty sure it is an 18" and moves a ton of air. Never measured the amps. It puts a pretty big draw on electrical even with a 100 amp alt. I only had to trim the toyota shroud a little to fit the 240 rad.

Back