• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tail light circuit board issues

harry124

Hi guys,

I'm getting my car inspected tomorrow, and everything is cherry (maybe minus emissions... i hope) except for my brake light.

When the lights are on, the brake light is on, but when i step on the brakes it goes out. I looked at the board and the ground is definately the problem. Where can I get another one of the circuit boards, I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Also is there a quick fix I can use just for tonight to maybe get it to work for the short term just so it passes, as I was given one of those "5 consecutive day" tickets telling me to get it fixed when I was pulled over the other night (and I wasn't even speeding).

Thanks for any help you can give.

John

What's wrong with the ground wire? Most likely could be fixed easily.

Its not the wire, so much as it is the circuit board, specifically the bottom metal portion of the board that has been rubbed off in the middle where the metal from the bulb case contacts the circuit board. I inspected the ground wire, and it looks brand new.

two options IMO:

1)buy new circut board and possibly new bulb sockets(they get corroded too). either from a j/y, maybe ebay, but i know mike(thelostartof) can get them and he's great to work with when you're in a bind IMO

2)ghetto rig it with some 18-22 gauge wire and some spaid(i think) connectors. search and find out what colored wire goes to what bulb(s) and straight wire the problem ones. you'll also need a multimeter and a wire stripper/crimper thingy

Awesome idea Tigers.

Just to make sure, the ground portion is, I am assuming, the bottom portion of the circuit board?

Also, oo4playmrright, I will look on ebay for one for a perminant fix. Thanks for the replies guys.

Unregistered said:
Awesome idea Tigers.

Just to make sure, the ground portion is, I am assuming, the bottom portion of the circuit board?
Umm, I don't know off the top of my head. If you pull the socket out, one contact pad area on the circuit board should show continuity to the ground wire.

Also play with the main connector for the assembly, often this connector makes poor contact.

ghetto rig semi successful.

I made my own ground connection, and that works for now. I just need to be careful with bumps I guess. Maybe the guy will be lenient with it if he knows I just have to fiddle a little.

I read on another post about directly wiring the lights, and I think this might be worth while.

Thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate it, and I'll appreciate it more tomorrow if I pass inspection.

Thanks again.

Back