• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Steering Column Replacement

boxing_day

So I'm considering buying this car which currently uses a homemade starter but the seller is including a new steering column with key. My question is how big of a job would it be to swap out the steering column on this car for the new one? Obviously not sure what sort of homemade starter they have on this thing, but is there perhaps a simpler way to integrate the new key into this?

While I'm at it, any other red flags with this listing that I'm missing? Seller says it's rust free, and interior is in good shape.

Thoughts greatly apreciated!

You will have to take the steering wheel off and take out the speedometer, and the knee bolster--I can't remember if yours requires a puller to get it to come off or not. For my 91 240, I used an electric impact deep well socket with extension to buzz it off. If he didn't remove the old steering column, there are two pins that will have to be either drilled out with an easy out bit, or hit with a punch. From brick board:
Replacing the lock mechanism is not as bad as it could be. Yes, the bolts that secure the lock are broken off at the head, but they do not have to be drilled out:

Using a punch and small hammer, just angle the punch at 45 degrees or so and tap it with the hammer to turn the screw clockwise. It loosens easily and can be undone with fingers at that point.
It wouldn't hurt to ask if he left the ignition switch wiring harness intact when he made his diy switch. Also, If you want to be able to lock your doors, you will have to buy separate door locks with a key included since the ad says no original keys included.

What worries me more is how long has the car been sitting because fuel will start to gum up and clog lines and injectors. It will be a project for sure once you immerse yourself in it and many dollars spent on an investment. I hope this makes sense, running on three hours sleep, so I apologize if there are errors.

Hood's not flush at the hinge end, so odds are the hinges need replacing. Not too hard or expensive to source from TB. Carpet and door cards need a lot of cleaning, try to see if it's just dirt and not mold. Check around the windshield for signs of leaks. Paint looks pretty nice.

Oh yeah, and you'll need to get new plates if you want to daily it, looks like antique vehicle plates are only good for 250 miles from home.

you will have to buy separate door locks with a key included since the ad says no original keys included.

Shouldn't be hard to get a lock set here on TB, but yeah - another big pain.

IMHO, the price seems a way steep for a "project" the ad says the interior is "good shape" -- not really. I would check very carefully to verify the "no rust" claim. (do you know where to check?) Body is tattered, drivers side both doors and quarter panel, tail gate, and looks like the hood is actually bent, missing trim. "Sitting for years" is not good.

Some other things to consider. With the odometer zero'd out, that is a leading indicator of the odometer not working. A replacement gear is a cheap replacement, it also puts in question the exact mileage of the car. Might be worth running a car history report to see if you can corroborate a dead odometer and how long it has been like that. Some interesting denting on the rear hatch, some which look came from the inside of the car.

It also looks like the hood is bowed on that right side, so I doubt its just a matter of replacing a hinge. Tons of other unknown variables for a $2k car that has been sitting for a while.

Back