• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 6 Cylinder question

6cylinderCapri

Hey guys, New here but long time thread browser and recently been bitten by the volvo bug :oogle:

Anyway apart from my S60 i have a Ford Capri, had loads over the years and i cant seem to get away from them. Long story short i work in a breakers yard and have just acquired a 960 2.5 24V 6 Cylinder to go into the Capri with 5 speed M90, i am a little stuck on removing the loom from the 960

Where the loom passes into the bulkhead, Is there a plug to be disconnected which splits it from the interior loom, Ive unbolted the 2 white plugs with 10mm bolts holding them and removed ecu from its plug & holder? i only need the engine loom & ecu and dont fancy spending hours removing the whole front loom

Its a 1995 960 for reference

I'm pretty sure there's a big plastic box that should lift straight up and under neath is a giant connector - I think that's where the two harnesses join? I'm not quite certain. On my 92 it's by the drivers strut tower, it's right up top around the brake fluid reservoir. Might be different in a 95 though, I forget how my moms 97 looks under there.

EDIT: looks like I'm wrong, but check in here: http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/.../TP3909202 960 1995 Wiring Diagrams.pdf#page9

Page 9 of the PDF and beyond has where the harness are routes and connected.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there's a big plastic box that should lift straight up and under neath is a giant connector - I think that's where the two harnesses join? I'm not quite certain. On my 92 it's by the drivers strut tower, it's right up top around the brake fluid reservoir. Might be different in a 95 though, I forget how my moms 97 looks under there.

EDIT: looks like I'm wrong, but check in here: http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/.../TP3909202 960 1995 Wiring Diagrams.pdf#page9

Page 9 of the PDF and beyond has where the harness are routes and connected.

Good luck!

Thats an awesome link cheers dude, got the main engine harness detached from the fusebox now, It would seem the branch of wiring with the ECU connector which lives in the drivers foot-well disappears under the dashboard somewhere, think ill be cutting and making my own loom, unless i can find where it goes. I was hoping the ECU wiring would be simply enclosed with the engine harness, so would have only been a simple pick apart job to separate the wiring needed to get the engine to run on a bare bones harness, but alas it would appear its not :wtf:

Thats an awesome link cheers dude, got the main engine harness detached from the fusebox now, It would seem the branch of wiring with the ECU connector which lives in the drivers foot-well disappears under the dashboard somewhere, think ill be cutting and making my own loom, unless i can find where it goes. I was hoping the ECU wiring would be simply enclosed with the engine harness, so would have only been a simple pick apart job to separate the wiring needed to get the engine to run on a bare bones harness, but alas it would appear its not :wtf:

Are you looking for the ECU itself and its connector? That lives behind the hood release panel on the drivers fender wall, you'll have to undo that hood release handle a bit and pull the cover away, its right there :)

If you don't want that ECU and transmission computer, I'll buy them from you - I may have a use for them one day if that car doesn't have an OBD II slot (it shouldn't)

Are you looking for the ECU itself and its connector? That lives behind the hood release panel on the drivers fender wall, you'll have to undo that hood release handle a bit and pull the cover away, its right there :)

If you don't want that ECU and transmission computer, I'll buy them from you - I may have a use for them one day if that car doesn't have an OBD II slot (it shouldn't)

Because im doing an engine conversion, i wanted to remove all the wiring related to the engine, then when the engine is in, cut the loom down to so its a basic loom that just runs the engine, as the chassis harness in my current car is fine. I'm Trying to trace where the loom runs, ive got the ECU removed, but the loom from the ECU gets lost up in the dashboard.

Its a 1995 Running 4.4 Motronic, And its manual so one less ECU to worry about

Connectors under the dash aren't really that hard to find. Only a couple of them and pretty close to the ECU. Just follow the loom. If I don't remember wrong, OBD-connector wiring doesn't have any connectors between ECU so you'll have to do some digging.

Ok bit of an update, Turns out its not actually 4.4 Motronic after noticing its using the older style 3" AFM that the 1.8 Jetronic uses, so the wiring diagrams Ive been using as reference have been pointless :rofl:

No wonder i couldn't find anything :oops:

Finally traced the wiring i need, on the early 960's the loom is fully intergrated, there are connectors there for the dash etc but its all linked in some fashion so some cutting has to be done.

Back